Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Who does MyLaps House Transponder Battery Replacement??? >

Who does MyLaps House Transponder Battery Replacement???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who does MyLaps House Transponder Battery Replacement???

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Default Who does MyLaps House Transponder Battery Replacement???

I had someone call me recently, and he said he was able to obtain the exact same batteries that MyLaps uses in their house transponders. He said he was able to replace the batteries in the house transponders and make them just like new. I told him to email me his info and I would pass it on. Well I never heard back from him.

Does anyone know who replaces house transponder batteries?
Old 12-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

I've always heard you couldn't. But when I raced street bikes there was a guy who you could send your transponder to and he could replace the battery. Although those are much larger they were mylaps transponders. Maybe you could talk to him? I could dig up his info if you'd like.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

A guy has a thread in the Radio/Electronics section...try asking/searching there
Old 12-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...r-repairs.html
Old 12-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Default Thanks!

Thanks!

I tried searching for "Transponder repair" and about 80,000 pages matched.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

no problem
Old 12-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Tech Regular

Try Jeff at Transponder Services, I know that he ships world-wide

http://www.transponderservices.com/index.html
Old 12-30-2011, 03:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Doug ..... we used Jeff in Australia to do our house rack last year and they came back working perfectly. They now take and hold a charge. He'll test them to make sure it's a bad battery or not and let you know how many you send back can or can't be repaired. Fast and good service. Just declare the customs value he recommends otherwise they'll get hung up in customs.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

they can be replaced, sent 10 of 20 in last year to be re done, will be sending the remaining 10 in shortley (before spring). throw me a pm and i can give you his number or email.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

ok, found his email, [email protected], he charges 30.00 each to rplace batteries in them, (atleast last year) real nice guy and did a great job!
tell him NMRCC in gaylord sent ya!!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Exclamation

Hi Guys
Noticed this thread and wanted to thank the clients that have recommended my services.

Been replacing batteries in AMB and Mylaps transponders of all types for over 10 years with one year warranty on all work and batteries.

Transponders are returned clean and undamaged by my battery replacement process.

I only use high quality batteries made in Japan, Germany and Sweden.
AMBrc original batteries are made in China and the quality is not anywhere near as good as they used to be.

TIP: AMBrc transponder have Ni-mh batteries which will die from lack of use.
So ensure you fully charge them at least once per month. During normal use they get charged every one or two weeks which is good.
But during the off season remember to charge them.

You can be assured of prompt reliable service from me.

I buy used AMBrc transponders.

Happy racing!

Jeff
www.transponderservices.com
Old 01-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Kevin just did six out of our rack at The Compound. He is a great guy to work with and quick turn around. Id recommend him to anyone looking.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default KRC TRANSPONDER SERVICE

Hi guys,

I did not know about this thread. Here goes the story...

I started doing AMBrc Transponder Cell Replacements in 2006 when my own system transponder cells were starting to fail. From the beginning, I used a much better German made cell. After using myself as a Guinea pig to work out a procedure on how to do them right, without damage and making them work like new, I decided to offer the service. Since then, I have done many hundreds of them and have quite a few customers now. As you can imagine, I rely on new customers to keep busy because generally they go 5 years or so before needing work again.

Here is my resume...

This is some of the old cells that have piled up from doing the work. I can also replace bad LED's and have a decent way to replace pins that get sheared off. I am also getting into cell replacements for the 160 units used in carting and the 260 units used for scale racing cars.

Thanks for your support! Doing these cell replacements helps fund my efforts to supply our area with R/C Racing. I have had a track at my residence in Crookston, MN for 20 years now and last winter I started up a dedicated carpet site in Grand Forks, ND. If I can help any of you guys, please contact me. [email protected] is my main email address.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

A guy local to me (Florida) removes the battery and replaces them with a servo style wire like a personal has.

Perhaps the people who do battery changes can offer this option also.

With the battery gone they weight just a bit more than a personal!
Old 01-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tmail55
A guy local to me (Florida) removes the battery and replaces them with a servo style wire like a personal has.

Perhaps the people who do battery changes can offer this option also.

With the battery gone they weight just a bit more than a personal!
Yes, I have done this also and it does work. It is a waste of a good house transponder though. Being AMB (MyLaps) have stopped producing our rechargeables, the only way sites can keep their racks full if one dies is to find a good used one from someone now. If any of you sites out there have repairable rechargeable transpondners that they don't need, I will buy them from you. I would fix them for spares.

Just last week, I had to turn one of my rechargeables into a personal. What was happening is it would quit within minutes of the start of a race. After putting in a new cell, I re-tested it and it would still do the same thing. I figured the circuit that monitors the cell voltage to safely shut down the transponder before the cell goes flat must be bad. So, I thought maybe it would stay on as a personal running at 6 volts DC and set my power supply as such, left it run that way for a day. It ran fine that way, so it will become a resident in my Son's SC from now on.

Please don't convert your old rechargeables to personals nor trade them in to MyLaps for a discount. You would better service the other clubs that need them out there by selling them to a repair shop like mine or selling them to the site directly. At a younger site like my new place in Grand Fork, ND, 90% of the racers still use my house transponders to race with. I will never be without them, If I can help it.

I would be interested in buying a transponder charging rack if I can find one that still works from a site that has decided to force all racers to own or rent personals to use their services. As is now, I need to keep pulling all of mine out of my rack every time I need it for customer transponder work. Contact me if you can help or need service. [email protected]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.