Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SuperBrain 969 problems!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 07:59 AM
Tech Regular

Lightbulb SuperBrain 969 problems!

I think my supebrain 969pro might be false peaking my 3300's. I charge them at 4.5 amps, and 50mv, and I dont mess with the other settings. Could it be that I HAVE to adjust the other settings for it to work correctly? Like should I set it for 4.5 amps, 50mv, 6cells, AND 3400mah?

Im in the budget of under $150, and I need 6 amps, deltapeak adjustment, if I cant fix this problem and have to buy a new charger.

I was looking at a Pulsar Sport or a Novak Millenium Pro. Both seem like great chargers, but the millenium doesnt offer delta peack adjustment.

thank you
Old 02-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Chargers

I have had nothing but trouble with false peaks when charging at only 4.5 volts with my Superbrain 959 (4.5 V is its maximum output). My 959 has recently been back to MRC twice for repairs and has now been taken out of service...

Otherwise, you should be using a 30mv (5mv x 6 cells) dropoff which will likely false peak even earlier.

I run mostly SMC batteries. Their site recommends chargers made by Competition Electronics, LRP and Novak. All models require a separate power supply.

My newest primary charger is a Reedy Pro because I wanted it to operate on AC power (no separate power supply). However, when I am at a crowded table at the track where several people are sharing the A/C power, my Reedy seems to false peak a lot. Whereas, people with separate power supplies don't seen to be suffering the same issue...Even those with Reedys. This is backed up by the fact that I rarely have false peaking issues when charging batteries at home (when not sharing the A/C power).

I am also looking at the new Yokomo double charger (also DC powered).

Hope this helps.

Last edited by JRX-S Bill; 02-15-2004 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:39 AM
Tech Regular

I had the same problem with the Super Barin 959. I was charing my Team Orion Nickel Metal Hydride charging at 4.5 amps and 70 m's. During the race, my battery was really weak. So i decided to get a new charger. I got the Integy Indi 16 by 7v6. It can charge, discharge, cylce time, and it has a backlight, AC/DC, fan for colling, and has all adjustablity with the charging, dischargin, how many cells to charge, wat mAh to charge at, can discharge at 30 amps, can charge at .1 A to 6.5A and more.

I got the charger for $190. It's worth it.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:09 PM
dux
Tech Apprentice

The Millenium Pro has adjustable peak, just use the old NiCd mode instead of their NIMH2 thing. But I've never had a false peak with the NIMH2 mode.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:09 PM
dux
Tech Apprentice

The Millenium Pro has adjustable peak, just use the old NiCd mode instead of their NIMH2 thing. But I've never had a false peak with the NIMH2 mode.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:27 PM
Tech Regular

I might look into either one...
Old 02-15-2004, 06:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Power Supplies

Originally posted by KevanB
I might look into either one...
Hi again KevanB,

If you do go the route of a charger that needs a separate power supply, take a look at the 25 amp unit from Radio Shack for $99.95. Several people are using this one and its friendly shape fits well under a charger.

It's a deal...You would be hard pressed to find a 15 amp unit under $100. But, you might want to put some other "in" decal over the Radio Shack label...he, he...

If you want fewer amps, look at the Eagle unit. It is also pretty clean.