• 2 Post By fat500
  • 1 Post By Raman

Corona made me build this

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default Mini z track Corona style

Could not stand not being able to race any longer decided to get a mini z and build the track in my garage this is what I created the car box stock drives like it is on rails stock tires and everything it's amazing

Raman, LJH, Dave_S and 6 others like this.

Last edited by fat500; 04-09-2020 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fat500
Could not stand not being able to race any longer decided to get a mini z and build the track in my garage this is what I created the car box stock drives like it is on rails stock tires and everything it's amazing
Nice! What materials?
Old 04-09-2020, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Indoor outdoor carpet from home Depot 12 ft wide by 18 ft long painted on the layout with standard latex paint carpet remains flexible so you can easily roll it for storage. The cool thing about it is you use the back side of the carpet for the on-road cars it's just like racing on ozite very flat and smooth then when you want to run the off-road cars you flip the carpet over you have your off-road layout painted on the other side you put on your jumps and then you can race the buggies for the associated SCT trucks or whatever works very very well I did a lot of research into the carpet and found that several people were flipping the carpet over for the road cars. I started out running on the standard side and it's a super low pile carpet but I found the car to be very loose and inconsistent so doing more research on the web found a lot of people had flipped it over with very good results I tried it and it's been amazing the stock mini z's run very very well on the surface box stock and then when you change out the tires you can really feel the difference.
eR1c and Dave_S like this.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Talking

Very cool. Looks great
Old 04-09-2020, 12:59 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sweet.....nice work.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-13-2020, 07:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

That looks amazing! I’m in the same boat, building a GLF-1. Been searching for track options and this looks to be a cost effective solution. I was considering a mini 96 track but hard to swallow the cost. Looks like it’s time to strap on the mask and head to the depot!

My boys and I were so desperate to race we did something I never would have considered prior to coronavirus. Took our carpet cars outside! Out of all the classes we race, VTA seemed the most logical choice for pavement. Cranked the ride height up to 7mm, slapped Gorilla tape on the chassis bottom and let er rip! Borrowed some extra click trak from our club and racing was on! For those that haven’t tried the RC Timing app (iPhone) it’s worth trying. With a Bluetooth speaker you’ll feel like you’re at a real track!! Takes from fiddling with settings and cars absolutely cannot have any of the same colors. Once we figured it out it rarely misses a lap. App is free and while we’ve only run three cars, it claims to handle ten.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I expect micro/mini sales to go up with all of us locked in the house. I made a track for my rc18 at work
Old 04-21-2020, 04:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Very cool, we found out yesterday our local carpet track is closing and im sure corona is apart of it. I have a bunch of carpet cars that are now going to be seeing dirt usage. We are currently repairing the tracks that were neglected while we enjoyed the indoor
Old 05-14-2020, 11:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fat500
Do you the link to which carpet it is? This one perhaps?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Foss-Pee...16PK/202042005

Dave_S likes this.