Wiki Posts
Search

state races

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default state races

Over the last 2 seasons with FSEARA I’ve noticed a steady decline in attendance to the races. When I first started racing it was common to se over 100 entries, now we are barely making it past 50. Is this because of the price of the cars or just a lack of interest? In the gas and off-road state races it is common for them to have over 150 entries. I would like to see that kind of number in FSEARA. What can be done to have this happen?
Old 04-23-2007, 09:50 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Kyle, great question. As you're in a hobby store, maybe ask new customers why they prefer the dirt? My theory is that it's tough to race the series for several reasons. One is cost, equipment (400.00 kits alone), entries, tires, food...it adds up quick..but that's the same for either, some shops have a RTR 1/8th scale buggy for as little as $299.00. Beginners usually ask 2 questions..."How fast is it?" and "How much is it?" The second is that it is tough to break into the series and be competitive. The racers at the top are just plain too good. The average racer doesn't stand a chance of making the "A" in stock. The fast guys are too good across the board...setup, motor tuning, driving...so if they race a year and literally can't progress, it's easy to see why many might drop out. Young guys usually quit when they get their own car, girlfriend, have school, and a part time job and realize that there isn't enough time or money to do it all, many have young families and leaving for 2 days is tough, others work or have to be available for work on the weekends. Different forms of racing come and go, it's kind of cyclical. I'd say jot down ideas and come to the last race of the season when we vote on season rules and changes and we should all brainstorm ideas to renvigorate the series and try to answer your question and address it if possible with action. But with 26 years ongoing, it may be just a yearly fluctuation and not really indicative of anything...
Old 04-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Some things go in cycles. The off-road series gets finished what time- how many entries and it's one day for nitro huge and small for electric. what's being pushed in the magaizines - nitro off-road.They still more than likely show up friday for practice. What's the price of a nitro off-road car or truck? They aren't cheap either.Oval is picking up but what do you seen on TV now- NASCAR everywhere. Where are the TC series that used to be on TV? Ocassionally we get The Grand Am series- or Petite Lemans series. They are not as big exposureras Nascar. Do you see alot of F1 cars or Cart cars in R/C- nope.My theory is if it's on TV they might want to race them. Problem is video games the kids get good quickly and soon get bored and get a new game. In R/C's it set-up and PRACTICE to get good.That takes too long.It's got to be get good quick or you lose the new racer.Actually I had a long talk with Robin Schumacher this weekend about this same thing.Please don't get me wrong what ever it takes to grow the series and our hobby.I've seen these guys come into the hobby shop for a nitro off-road vehicle and fuel. They'll practice on race day right up until it's race time and leave. but they'll stay all day long and practice?I don't know the answer but would like to help anyway I can.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Tech Champion

Kyle, it was a beautiful weekend for racing, inside or out. 80, light breeze. awesome. the same weather works for family time out on the boat, camping, bbq, parties.. and there are only so many of those left before it gets hot End of school is approaching, and that means family vacation so people could be saving up for that. There was a lot of other racing going on as well.

I'll wager the reason many people like the dirt is because there are more variables involved with it and that really mixes up the field. Basically these guys have to contend with a larger picture and not have to be specialized on a few items, which would mean those items make that much more of a difference. So on the dirt your setup can be further off the mark and still remain competitive especially with the longer mains for the gas guys.

Bill also has a point about class cycles, promotion/marketing on tv. I haven't seen a non-american touring series on speed in a loong time. Not that they may not show it, it could be on at 330am for all i know. I keep up on the sports car/prototype stuff a bit and i've seen a lot of that on speed this year. only problem is its not replayed 23 times like the neckcar stuff. once, twice if you're lucky. there are quite a few races this year in the southeast alone. daytona (jan/june), sebring, homestead, st pete, barber in alabama, road atlanta.. they all have had or plan on having some tv time while I don't find anything on european, japanese, or australian touring whatsoever. It might stand to reason that since nascar/isc has a vested interest in Grand Am series' that its getting some of that needed tv time/nascar star drivers, whereas the American LeMans series may not be getting similar exposure.

Championship Off-Road Racing - has been bought out by guys out west and they race out there exclusively. They have had some tv time over the last 6 months. World Series of Off-Road Racing is the old CORR guys from the midwest, and they are starting in a couple of weeks with tv time.

Anyways enough rambling about that, I'm sure its has been discussed on windtunnel.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Nitro Class ?
Old 04-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

For me:

#1. I'm not using a vacation day to take Saturdays off for the 2 day shows,
and even then I would miss practice on Friday and be behind.

#2. Tired of the the battery/car/motor of the month crap. It's just too
much money. Nitro on-road is much cheaper and way less headache!
Old 04-23-2007, 06:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (96%+)

Funny you bring this up. I was talking to Troy and Tony about it this weekend. Bottom line for me...its getting to be too much work to be competitive. I was wrenching on my car all weekend. I built three different stock motors for the main - just so I could see which was best to bolt into the car.

Back in the day, stock motors weren't even rebuildable. We used to run one motor (that we never even cleaned or changed brushes in). Everyone had the same chassis (10L) and we all ran the same tires Jaco Pinks and Purples (that we never trued).

We played around and socialized more than we raced. A race was more of a two day vacation with your friends. Those were the days.

Jeff
Old 04-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Jeff, your not the only one. Alot of us feel that way... I know I am not going to be competetive in mod because my stuff does get pulled out except for race weekend. No Prep... no way I can get even .5. off of Pauls pace... ( beside the fact I am not talented enough)

I really think openeing stock up to Brushless will help alot of our issues out. We are a product of or own success. We need to have a great class that people can show up, have a good time, race... BS... and be somewhat compettitve without 3 days prep time, and wrenching all day long..
Old 04-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Tech Addict

here is what I think. In sportsman class you have rtr kits that need help before your even get it on the track. Then they run it and get beat really bad by someone who is running a kit car. They add how much the kit car cost plus the $ 265.00 or so they paid for there rtr car then they stop racing. Also I notice in off road EVERYONE helps EVERYONE out. The Fseara was the same way up til last year and yes there is still alot of people who will help you out in the fseara but not as many as they used to be. I think we should have more help pages on the fseara site. ( set up each different car set ups,roll out, prep, etc etc.) Also I think more companys should be more like Schumacher where is that they will help you in anyway by in person,phone or e-mail. I mean the answer I got from a big well know company was "not everything is perfect".So I think it has a little to do with cost,companys,hobby shops etc etc.. Also I see the other side in my other business that the cost of housing,taxes and insurances is up there. I think Izzy is doing great things to help like free gas, free entry and maybe instead of a car kit maybe he sould give a free hotel room. I also think more "sponser" should get involved instead of just paying for some trophies at the end of the year. "Izzy for Pres." Thats my .02 cents.

PS. more people should come run mini z's
Old 04-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

For me its deciding what type of racing I want to do. Here in Jacksonville its either oval or off road. I race oval locally and the FOCAR series along with my son. We have a very small touring group 3-4 guys not including me and they don't travel.
I read about the Master class opening up for brushless so that got my attention since I usually race the 5800 bl in our 19t class. To me brushless is the way to go. Racing to suppose to be fun, enjoyable and not spending the whole weekend working on your motors.
My son is now showing interest in touring so he'll probably get started soon. So you can add one more racer for FSEARA
Old 04-23-2007, 08:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I think brushless will be huge for our series, it helps level out the field when everyone esentially will have the same power. Takes out the advantage those with deep pockets and more knowledge of stock motor building. I was talkng with Skip this weekend about the stock class and neither one of use would run it because we do not know a thing about stock motors, imagine a newer racer with no experience in racing and how they must feel to get the doors blown off of them on a straightaway by the faster stock guys. I know that dual entries are good for entry numbers, but the top guys that run stock and 19-turn are running the entry level guys out of our series. That is what stock is meant for. I like the idea of a rtr class for the sportsman class, maybe it would help more locals into entering into the series, however this might be more effective for local club racing.

I've been working on a new driver profile page to add to the site for some time, however I have been problems getting it to function correctly with the database software. I would be glad to add a section of setup sheets from the different manufactures cars that match the tracks we run in florida, but I would need help from each of the top drivers to submit their setup sheets for the different races; ie paul/troy for shumacher, M. Bruce for Corally, The Bowsers for Xray, and whatever cars we use out there. Additionally, an experts section where technical information is discussed, but short of plagerizing another sites content, there is a lot of info to put up.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kyle "hitawall"
Over the last 2 seasons with FSEARA I’ve noticed a steady decline in attendance to the races. When I first started racing it was common to se over 100 entries, now we are barely making it past 50. Is this because of the price of the cars or just a lack of interest? In the gas and off-road state races it is common for them to have over 150 entries. I would like to see that kind of number in FSEARA. What can be done to have this happen?

its funny you started this thread......................why didn't you race?

my point is at 16 or 17 and living at home you still had to work its called responsibility and priority sometimes racers just have other things to do

Last edited by Dave Bowser; 04-23-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:40 AM
Tech Champion

Well I've been saying some of this for one year now.Working on stock motors- Brushless gives me the time to BS more in the pits with my friends. No more working on the motors(truing coms,new brushes and springs , dyno). I've sold most of it.Gearing now plays a big part again and when I first started racing in the series that was always a big secret.Someone mentioned batteries as a factor. Guys I buy my batteries from Robbies. I ran the same battery pack all weekend long. I got them one year ago when 4200's just came out and had them in my R/C tank until two months ago.For me in masters class just missing 25 laps and doing 24 laps 2 of the three qualifiers worked fine. So for me Brushless and my old 4200's are working great.Plenty of time to enjoy my one day off from work (saturdays) and enjoy Saturday nights and sunday with my long time hobby and friends.
It's just a cycle and the price of fuel does not help. Racing in any series is not cheap.Help on a car is easy when you ask. If I'm asked and don't know the answer I'll try to point you to the person that does.I think most of the regular racers will do the same.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:11 AM
Tech Regular

My wife and I are trying to go to as many state races as possible. It gives us a chance to get out of the house for the weekend, meet some great people, and race rc cars. I have to give thanks to Tony Munno for convincing me into checking out the state races.

I just started racing this year at the Snowbirds. Other than that, I've only raced the two last state races. I still pretty much suck, but I'm getting better as we attend more races.

Since the topic of brushless motors has come up, I love rebuilding motors, but wouldn't hesitate to do brushless stock.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:00 AM
Tech Champion

1 Word.... Global Warming.... :>

Originally Posted by kyle "hitawall"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.