Search
Like Tree143Likes

Tamiya TB Evolution V

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 09:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rctouringracer
Thx WRXNFX! Think going to purchase a EVO4MS.
How do the EVO4 & 5 compare to the trf415s?
I haven't driven the 415, yet, but I have a friend that has raced an EVO III Surikan Edition, EVO IV, and TRF415 Marc Reinhardt Edition. Since our track is small and we are only allowed to use the Tamiya Sport Tuned Motor, he said so far the EVO IV has performed the best. However, if it was a bigger track and larger motors were allowed, he thinks the 415 may be better. The main reason for this is because of the better throttle response/punch from the shaft drive vs. the slight give that belt drive cars tend to have before hard acceleration. Other than that, he likes both cars just for different applications. However, as always, the driver is definitely going to be a big key in performance. Just to give you an idea, one of our racers used to race in Japan and he does extremely well with his EVO III Surikan Edition. The only problem is that the diff gears of the EVO III have some reliability issues. I'd say if you buy an EVO IV/V or TRF415, you would still be buying a good car.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Tech Regular

i have to agree with you wrxnfx. any of those 3 cars are very very good.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thx guys! I already use a MSX for modified racing on a big track. Just looking to try something new at club level since they use a small tight track.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Blueman Austria
Hy there !

I run my Evo5 in Stock 23T and 17T and i have also no problems with the Gears.

For the spur gears i have to say that i always run 48dpi spurs

At the moment i have a 71 Spur in the car with a 25T pinion. this is a gera ratio at ~1:6,66.

An other question.

I have a few questions for a good tarmac setup.

I ran the dampers with 40 oilt 3 hole plates, and the yellow springs,
Chamber 1,5° al around, 4° Caster, 5-5,5 ground clearance, and the soft swaybars front and rear. toe in behind is 2,5°.
The damperpositions,and the shims under the upper arm mounts are all like in the manual.

Now my question. Whats about the rollcenter on tarmac. have anyone testet shims under the suspension blocks ?

Many drivers using 1mm up on tramac (with oter cars).

Please if anyone have tested it out, let me know.

Greetings from Austria
Blueman

Is there realy nobody out who can give mea few tips?

Because the next Sunday i have my first race on tramac with my Evo5, and i can only make a short rolout on sunday morning.

Greetings from Austria
Old 06-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

can anyone confirm that this will fit the evo V?

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=19793
Old 06-27-2007, 11:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ascyrafft
i put GTB+4.5R brushless with 48 pitch 76t inside also no problem!!
wow a 4.5....did you grease your gears? how long did they last before replacement?

Cheers
Old 06-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

My Evo V has been handling very erraticly and I found out why... the front wheel was wobbling enough to hit the steering arm on the hub assembly. After changing out some parts, it seems like the wheel itself was the culprit... I'm wondering if certain wheel brands don't fit the Tamiya wheel hubs quite right??? Or is this a normal thing when you hit stuff a lot (I have had a few brushes with the wall ) I added some spacers to help if the wheels do wobble again... but I'm curious to find out if there's a way to keep this from happening in the future....????
Old 07-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Tech Addict

i had this problem once, as soon as i changed the wheels they were fine......sometimes if you hit things it can bend/buckle them. The only way to fix this is to change to a different brand of type of tire to see if it works better for you, and of course try not to hit things.

Cheers
Old 07-16-2007, 02:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

hi everyone
well I bought An EVO 5

Are there any good build tips i should Know(besides spend a long time shimming it right)

also a friend has been experimenting with the bevel gears, he reckons that if you dont grease the gears it will lessen wear. Because less dust and little rocks/sand wont get stuck on them.( i race on a very dusty track). so grease vs non grease?

Any help is appreciated
Old 07-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

You will get split references on the grease part. Personally, I would grease it because under load, the grease helps protect the gears, under the conditions I am using the car in (parking lot racing). Dust and dirt does get into your bevel gears, but that's why you must clean that when it builds up in the car. The main thing that will damage bevel gears the most is crashing.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/fe...article-id=226

Here's David Jun's tips on building the evo v.

Hope you find the info useful
Old 07-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Pie_robot
hi everyone
well I bought An EVO 5

Are there any good build tips i should Know(besides spend a long time shimming it right)

also a friend has been experimenting with the bevel gears, he reckons that if you dont grease the gears it will lessen wear. Because less dust and little rocks/sand wont get stuck on them.( i race on a very dusty track). so grease vs non grease?

Any help is appreciated
Probably the best thign you could do for the gears is get soem dry lube. McLube (google Team McLube) is probably the best stuff for the job, but I wouldn't be suprised if other dry lubes work fine (like you can use on a bike chain)

HiH
Ed
Old 07-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I run them dry and it has worked well running stock. One thing I would do is to open the top gear covers after every couple of meets and blow/brush off the dirt that gets in.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

How well seal is the gear box or cover on the EVO 5? Is it completly sealed or is it just a simple cover. I run on dusty parking lots and my yokomo LCG SD eats gears like crazy, since its diff cover only cover half of it...

BTW, does anyone where I can get an EVO 5 online? Some links would be great.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Tech Master

The seal on the evo5 is just a cover.

The evo5 does not eat gears very often, even though dust does get in. Its just you have to make an effort to keep the diffs clean.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:01 AM
Tech Regular

Default Evo5 Spool Update !

Hy there.

For those who are interested to fit a spool in your Evo5:

The Evo 4 Spool from Tamiya will fit with a little mod perfectly in the Evo5.

The problem is that the gap between Ringgear and the beavelgear is to smal.
It works, but it dosent run smooth.

You have to sand of about 3-4 tenns from the aluminium part of the spool where the ring gear is attached. Then there is enugh play at the gears that they run so smooth like the onway does.

A second little hint is to use the 415MRE spool outdrives. They are more durable as the black ones from the Evo4 Spool.

I will look if i can make a picture of it, and post it here.

Greetings Blueman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.