Wiki Posts
Search

Reedy's new Stock Motor (Stockstar)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Impulse_racer
I used them exclusively for a while, refused to buy a Trinity product. I was also teased constantly about using them. but I always placed in the races. I soon had most of the the distractors at least try one, but because they didn't know the "Big Jim tips" to tune them they couldn't get them to work like mine. So I am looking forward to the new stock motor.
A lot of what I put into my MVPs came from reading Big Jim's articles, but there's a lot that comes from my experimenting as well. That's one of the big reasons I haven't gone brushless yet, these Stock motors are just too much fun to tinker with
Old 11-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
A lot of what I put into my MVPs came from reading Big Jim's articles, but there's a lot that comes from my experimenting as well. That's one of the big reasons I haven't gone brushless yet, these Stock motors are just too much fun to tinker with
Me too. I got into this because this is as close to full size racing as I am going to get. Motor tuning is just a part of it like suspension tuning. When you have built and maintained the car, tuned the motors, been to the track to get the suspension hooked, and then run laps to better your driving skills. There is a sense gratification and accomplishment as your results improve that wouldn't be there, for me, if I shortcutted the process. Too old school, I guess.

Last edited by Impulse_racer; 11-21-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Haha, you know it! Stock Truck is like the Limited Late Model of the R/C world. You can show up out of nowhere and drive your way to a decent finish, but to really haul the mail, you gotta earn it!
Old 11-21-2007, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I would like to see these magical mvp's. (its not that I dont believe you, just couldnt fathom it) I got Jims book as well and tried many a time.....again paper weight in everything Ive seen
Old 11-21-2007, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

Little bit of elbow grease and some faith in their durability, and you can make MVPs rocket
And that is whole reason why they didn't catch on.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by convikt
I would like to see these magical mvp's. (its not that I dont believe you, just couldnt fathom it) I got Jims book as well and tried many a time.....again paper weight in everything Ive seen
They were a dog out of the package. The secret was gearing. At the time everyone was used to gearing a certain way and a properly tuned MVP went against this. Also they ran hot which made people incorrectly adjust the gearing. I used Putnam green+ and blue-, shaved .040 it routinely came off 180-200 degrees. But I kept my ice cubes handy.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Biggest thing is a comm cut, straight outta the box. MVP arms were notorious for coming with their comms WAY out of round. That solves 80% of the problems. Replace the stock brushes with Reedy #767s. Next thing to go is the little plate spring between the brush hoods and heatsinks. Just drags on the brushes. Trinity blue spring on the positive side, do a good job of shimming the armature with Teflon shims, align the brush hoods with a bar & rod (not those P.O.S. "H" things), and when it's all together, lube the bushings and add a couple of comm drops, then break it in submerged in warm tap water for 10 minutes at 3.3v. Pull it out, dry it off with compressed air, REALLY dry it out with motor spray, and re-lube the bushings.

You can also get fancy and narrow the faces of those #767s, but it's a real trick to get it right with a Dremel. But done right, it will throw the RPM-happy powercurve a bit towards the bottom end for truck use.

Biggest thing, MVPs overheat. They just do. 170°F at the side of the can is pretty normal. I think that's what spooks everyone, they think the motor's about to grenade and they gear it to the moon until it'll pull stumps but won't go anywhere.

Little bit of elbow grease and some faith in their durability, and you can make MVPs rocket
Old 11-21-2007, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Biggest thing is a comm cut, straight outta the box. MVP arms were notorious for coming with their comms WAY out of round. That solves 80% of the problems. Replace the stock brushes with Reedy #767s. Next thing to go is the little plate spring between the brush hoods and heatsinks. Just drags on the brushes. Trinity blue spring on the positive side, do a good job of shimming the armature with Teflon shims, align the brush hoods with a bar & rod (not those P.O.S. "H" things), and when it's all together, lube the bushings and add a couple of comm drops, then break it in submerged in warm tap water for 10 minutes at 3.3v. Pull it out, dry it off with compressed air, REALLY dry it out with motor spray, and re-lube the bushings.

You can also get fancy and narrow the faces of those #767s, but it's a real trick to get it right with a Dremel. But done right, it will throw the RPM-happy powercurve a bit towards the bottom end for truck use.

Biggest thing, MVPs overheat. They just do. 170°F at the side of the can is pretty normal. I think that's what spooks everyone, they think the motor's about to grenade and they gear it to the moon until it'll pull stumps but won't go anywhere.

Thats very interesting to me. Me and my brother put in some serious time with those with no results. Gearing might have been the problem to. We didnt want them over 135 degrees. Thanks for breaking that down
Old 11-21-2007, 09:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by convikt
Thats very interesting to me. Me and my brother put in some serious time with those with no results. Gearing might have been the problem to. We didnt want them over 135 degrees. Thanks for breaking that down
I will bet you were a good 3 or 4 teeth off on the gearing. If mine didn't come off 180+ degrees it wasn't happy.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Impulse_racer
I will bet you were a good 3 or 4 teeth off on the gearing. If mine didn't come off 180+ degrees it wasn't happy.
I think one thing that happens is that everyone is so used to EPIC based motors, where the magnets will DIE on you if you overheat the motor... The Yokomo/Reedy motors are made by Sagami (or however you spell it), and they have the best magnets in the business. Starting back with the Rage, and on through to the present, those magnets come back time after time, even when "overheated"... The Orion CORE (also a Sagami motor) is almost identical to the MVP in terms of the magnets and armature, and they also need some special attention, but will work well -- they were my favorite stock offroad Truck motor...

Last edited by tfrahm; 02-19-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Are these motors available anywhere?
Old 02-19-2008, 05:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stiltskin
I'm still holding my breath, and I've been on the waiting list for awhile now. Looks like I'm not going to get mine before the end of my electric season
Old 02-19-2008, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stiltskin
They will be in stock next week! We encountered an unfortunate and costly delay with new clamshell packaging. The motors will be ROAR legal for the Carpet Nationals.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
They will be in stock next week! We encountered an unfortunate and costly delay with new clamshell packaging. The motors will be ROAR legal for the Carpet Nationals.
hehe, watch, mine'll arrive in the mail the day of my last electric race. Just my kinda luck

Good to hear they're on the way anyhow. I'll have all summer to tinker

before I forget, does this news apply to the 19T Challenger as well? I had one of those planned for a TC dirt late model I'm working on.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

this thing in stock anywhere yet? I want one! lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.