Search
Like Tree5Likes

Need Help with VTA Gearing

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 06:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Need Help with VTA Gearing

Hello everyone I am switching over from running stock touring car class to running VTA as it's a little more popular at the track I race at. So given the tire change and size difference from the stock touring to the VTA Spec tire what gearing should I start with? Where would be a good starting point at least?
Old 07-05-2021, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HK500Pilot
Hello everyone I am switching over from running stock touring car class to running VTA as it's a little more popular at the track I race at. So given the tire change and size difference from the stock touring to the VTA Spec tire what gearing should I start with? Where would be a good starting point at least?
it can vary widely depending on the motor. I run a TSR version 3 with 48 degrees of timing. I usually gear 44/100 with a 1.9 internal. That is what I ran at the birds in 2020 and qualified 2nd. That timing is that motors sweet spot.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:36 PM
Tech Adept

Wow, congratulations on your win. That's quite an achievement given the fact that your competition was most likely some very good drivers at that level.

I am currently running a 96/48 on my touring set up using a Hobbywing Just Stock 21.5 motor. I'm going to be using a Hobbywing Just Stock motor but will be using a 25.5 motor in compliance with VTA guidelines.

Thank you very much for your reply........
Old 07-05-2021, 09:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Try 88/48 x 1.9.
Old 07-06-2021, 04:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wow, congratulations on your win. That's quite an achievement given the fact that your competition was most likely some very good drivers at that level.

I am currently running a 96/48 on my touring set up using a Hobbywing Just Stock 21.5 motor. I'm going to be using a Hobbywing Just Stock motor but will be using a 25.5 motor in compliance with VTA guidelines.

I didn't win but ended up third due somewhat to a massive (both sides at once) body tuck. That TSR motor was a 25.5. I really don't have a clue on the HobbyWing motor. I have some experience with the HW 17.5 because it was a handout at the Indoor Champs in 2019 and the timing was fixed for that event. Only time I ever raced it as there are many better motors than it.
Buy the way, I was still thrilled at the Birds. I ran three classes and podiumed in all three with second in the F1 class being the crowning one. In F1 I used the TSR 25.5 also. To top this one off, I was 68 years old when I did that. One for the AARP generation. Lol
glennhl likes this.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:45 AM
Tech Addict

I run the Hobby Wing 25.5 in VTA on a small 70x40 ish track. We turn mid 9 second laps if that helps compare track size. I am running around a 4.5 fdr with timing around 51 degrees. Your gearing will depend a lot on your track size/layout and driving style.

Good Luck!
Old 07-07-2021, 05:05 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Why are you running the Just Stock motor? Unless everyone is running that as a spec motor, you will get creamed with a FT against open timing RevTechs, R1s and the likes.
bd007 likes this.
Old 07-07-2021, 02:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yeah why HW 25.5? And 4.5 gear ratio? That's more for 17.5 motors.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:06 AM
Tech Addict

I run the HW 25.5 G3 R. It is the motor that one the VTA Nats at Apex last year and it is one of the fastest motors at our club track. I was using a Trinity Xfactor as were others. With no other changes to the car, the HW motor gave me a .25 second drop in fastest lap times. I haven't looked back. Maybe I didn't have the timing right, or gearing right, but I had been using that Xfactor for a while and felt like I was getting everything out of it that I could. I know that there are many motors out there that will perform as well, but for $100, you can't beat it.
Isaac and mrreet2001 like this.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:18 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by 0010
I run the HW 25.5 G3 R. It is the motor that one the VTA Nats at Apex last year and it is one of the fastest motors at our club track. I was using a Trinity Xfactor as were others. With no other changes to the car, the HW motor gave me a .25 second drop in fastest lap times. I haven't looked back. Maybe I didn't have the timing right, or gearing right, but I had been using that Xfactor for a while and felt like I was getting everything out of it that I could. I know that there are many motors out there that will perform as well, but for $100, you can't beat it.
I won't argue that the HW G3 motors are beasts, but the Just Stock Motor is a turd.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Every track is going to have a different FDR. Focus more on temps and lap times than the gearing itself. With the HW G3R, leave the timing on the dot, with other motors if someone is nice enough to help you with the timing or if you get it timed never ever change the motor timing. We just got new carpet at Apex so we're changing the layout quite a bit to break it in, some layouts seem to like higher gearing while others like lower gearing and especially with VTA cornering properly is worth .5s-1s a lap itself. Stay smooth, make sure you're not jerking the wheel and scrubbing speed, temp your motor once you're off the track and adjust the gearing from there. Ask the fast guys at your track what they're geared at as well, it should get you in the ballpark.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you for all the replies, I really appreciate it. I’ve waited to change any gearing until I get to the track and ask around as to what is being run at the track.
Quite honestly I’ve never messed with timing on an electric motor. The reason I picked the Hobbywing motor is that I figured it’s a spec class of racing and thought all 25.5 motors are somewhat created equal. I’ve always used Hobbywing products in my planes and just fealt it was a reliable motor to get started with.
My first race with VTA is this weekend. I’ll see what comes of it, it should be a learning experience
Old 07-14-2021, 09:25 AM
Tech Prophet

Thank you for all the replies, I really appreciate it. I’ve waited to change any gearing until I get to the track and ask around as to what is being run at the track.
Quite honestly I’ve never messed with timing on an electric motor. The reason I picked the Hobbywing motor is that I figured it’s a spec class of racing and thought all 25.5 motors are somewhat created equal. I’ve always used Hobbywing products in my planes and just fealt it was a reliable motor to get started with.
My first race with VTA is this weekend. I’ll see what comes of it, it should be a learning experience
Have fun with it. I got very fustrated with VTA last year. Struggled with gearing. And there’s a big difference in motors from what I saw
Old 07-14-2021, 09:28 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Quite honestly I’ve never messed with timing on an electric motor
If the class is open timing, timing is just as important as gearing.

The reason I picked the Hobbywing motor is that I figured it’s a spec class of racing and thought all 25.5 motors are somewhat created equal.
They aren't ... even more so if you aren't or can't change your timing.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Have fun with it. I got very fustrated with VTA last year. Struggled with gearing. And there’s a big difference in motors from what I saw
I’ve been having fun with it all since getting back into it this season. As with any Spec class...or any type of racing for that matter, there are people who push the boundaries or the rules in order to win. In my case it really helps to have a good group of racers willing to help new people to succeed. The racing is more fun for everyone that way. It’s no fun trying to just stay out of the way and not wreck the faster drivers. This is why I moved to VTA just to run with some newer drivers and hope for some closer racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.