Search
Like Tree7Likes

Serpent F110-SF2 Formula One Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 02:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pat5b
Maybe interested in this SF-3 car, what Serpent spare parts should I have in stock?
I already have some F1 cars but never tried SERPENT!
So far the only issues (if they can be called an issue in such a small sample environment at our track) I've seen are;
The plastic king pin mounts that bolt to the lower control arm can crack as a result of impact.
Comes stock with 48 pitch spur, used mostly for asphalt, though I will probably leave the 48p be even though I'm running carpet, obviously personal preference.
Actually I reckon that's about it so far. Seems a very solid kit. Wish they'd included the optional front ends like they did with the sf2, for some reason I am not fully convinced the solid bottom front arm isn't a step backwards...
But honestly I just finished the kit and had it through a few laps for the first time today and it felt like butter that was dropped in baby oil on a warm day... it felt smooth and neutral immediately.
Felt almost exactly like a puppy standing at attention waiting to start learning tricks and playing ball and chasing cats, ya know?
I'm sure you don't ,I'm going to drunk I'm bed.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:49 AM
Tech Regular

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
pat5b likes this.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm still struggling with getting the rear track to match the front. I pulled the rear apart again yesterday to see if I could add any spacers on either side of the height adjustments but can not due to the notch in the carbon shaft offering very limited adjustment.

It just makes no sense that serpent would offer a wide track car... Only for the rear to be the same as the narrow track car!

I've emailed serpent directly using their website email service but I've received no reply in the past week and a half. I've even emailed the Australian serpent dealer and they responded twice with no real information apart from stating that the wide was designed for Tamiya F104 foams (which I'm using). And then said they'd get back to me...

This is really frustrating, and I'm starting to regret buying serpent products entirely!
Old 07-03-2017, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
I'm still struggling with getting the rear track to match the front. I pulled the rear apart again yesterday to see if I could add any spacers on either side of the height adjustments but can not due to the notch in the carbon shaft offering very limited adjustment.

It just makes no sense that serpent would offer a wide track car... Only for the rear to be the same as the narrow track car!

I've emailed serpent directly using their website email service but I've received no reply in the past week and a half. I've even emailed the Australian serpent dealer and they responded twice with no real information apart from stating that the wide was designed for Tamiya F104 foams (which I'm using). And then said they'd get back to me...

This is really frustrating, and I'm starting to regret buying serpent products entirely!
It's the front end that's wider in the 'wide edition' car which is all that was required if using the correct F104 foam wheels which you say that you are using. By how much exactly are you wanting to widen the rear as it shouldn't be necessary. On my standard SF2 which has the same rear end as the wide car I can add shims to the axle to get probably another 2mm wider and still be within the indent in the axle for the hub carrier.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:48 PM
Tech Adept

On the sf2 wide you are supposed to use 30 mm wide front and 45mm wide rear tires. With these the car is 200mm front and rear.
This is the same as on the good old 200mm wide Tamiya F103.
The F104pro,180mm, rear tires are 35mm. That makes the 20mm difference.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:33 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks everyone for the responses. So according to 3 different serpent suppliers around the world (I literally emailed all the English speaking countries listed on the Serpent website as well as the China one (as that's where I live at the moment, but thinking it would be a hail Mary move) the consensus is that the car was not designed for the F104pro foams after all. ErikJan is correct in that it was designed for the wider F103 foams and equivalent. The Australian supplier initially thought there was no such thing as F104 foams and kept telling me that I needed Tamiya foam wheels and tyres, to which I kept saying I was running them. Only for them to say that it should be correct then, and for me to rebuild the rear end over and over, until they explicitly said that foam was for the F103, and rubber for the F104. I sent them the Tamiya link to the F104 pro and they suddenly realised where our wires were getting crossed.

China got back to me (in English as he studied in Sydney Uni) and said he had both the wide and normal track car on his desk in front of him and that as Dan said the rear end is the same across the SF2 range (by the way Dan the difference in width was almost 20mm with the F104 foams, and there was no way to add almost 20mm spacers to the rear axle). China's car was riding on matrix foams (no idea what they are, but they will be sending me a link this morning for me to look at). And then the Singapore said that it needs the offset of the F103 foams, but they are hard to find now.

So it seems the problem is solved. I wish Serpent had simply made a note somewhere to say that xxxx was the recommended wheels and tyres in the first place. Cause the existence of the F104pro foams threw all assumptions out.

Last edited by Mr Brooksy; 07-03-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
Thanks everyone for the responses. So according to 3 different serpent suppliers around the world (I literally emailed all the English speaking countries listed on the Serpent website as well as the China one (as that's where I live at the moment, but thinking it would be a hail Mary move) the consensus is that the car was not designed for the F104pro foams after all. ErikJan is correct in that it was designed for the wider F103 foams and equivalent. The Australian supplier initially thought there was no such thing as F104 foams and kept telling me that I needed Tamiya foam wheels and tyres, to which I kept saying I was running them. Only for them to say that it should be correct then, and for me to rebuild the rear end over and over, until they explicitly said that foam was for the F103, and rubber for the F104. I sent them the Tamiya link to the F104 pro and they suddenly realised where our wires were getting crossed.

China got back to me (in English as he studied in Sydney Uni) and said he had both the wide and normal track car on his desk in front of him and that as Dan said the rear end is the same across the SF2 range (by the way Dan the difference in width was almost 20mm with the F104 foams, and there was no way to add almost 20mm spacers to the rear axle). China's car was riding on matrix foams (no idea what they are, but they will be sending me a link this morning for me to look at). And then the Singapore said that it needs the offset of the F103 foams, but they are hard to find now.

So it seems the problem is solved. I wish Serpent had simply made a note somewhere to say that xxxx was the recommended wheels and tyres in the first place. Cause the existence of the F104pro foams threw all assumptions out.
Good news that you've finally got to the bottom of the riddle! Matrix are an Italian foam tire manufacturer. You can find them on Facebook and they are responsive to messages.
Mr Brooksy likes this.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:17 AM
Tech Addict

For the Serpent SF3:

Fenix Rattlesnake Slim chassis.

Traverse battery option, on a slim 2mm 7075-T6 alloy chassis
Old 05-28-2018, 07:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Touring Car Shocks For F110 SF2 or SF3

Need some guidance on how to install a touring car shock on my SF3 please. Thanks
Old 05-29-2018, 12:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by vadersing
Need some guidance on how to install a touring car shock on my SF3 please. Thanks
Hi, I've installed a Tamiya TC Shock. You need one Ballnut from Tamiya and for the Rod I've used a VBC D06 Turnbuckle as Eyelet and a VBC Ballnut.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brinni
Hi, I've installed a Tamiya TC Shock. You need one Ballnut from Tamiya and for the Rod I've used a VBC D06 Turnbuckle as Eyelet and a VBC Ballnut.

Thanks. I will try that out.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Protoform F1-Fifteen

Does the protoform F1-Fifteen body fit the Serpent F110 SF3?
Old 05-30-2018, 09:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by vadersing
Does the protoform F1-Fifteen body fit the Serpent F110 SF3?
Yeah but only if you have small Electronic and you have to cut out the Pod. There are better bodies available
Old 05-30-2018, 12:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

What better bodies? I have a F1-fifteen body and don't like the fit.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Mine is mounted with bittydesign 6R , you have enough room for esc !

On other note, does anyone tried the Fenix Rattlesnake conversion kit ?
and what is the goal when using angled kingpin shim ?

I need to learn more about setup on this car...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.