Wiki Posts
Search

Club needs help with track design

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey Impact,
I'll take you up on that suggestion !!! If you'll just make out a check in the amount of 20,000 dollars or so.....we'll get started. Those guy's are extremely lucky to have a guy like Mr. Mitchell. Anybody out there want to be OUR Mr. Mitchell????
Old 01-17-2003, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The check is in the mail!!! Hope your drivers licence says your name is RCPIGZ....LOL

I only ment in design and layout, not get all the same supplies and build your own fenced in Asphalted area....LOL

BTW; how big is your club? how many members, and how long have you all been around?? How many members do you all get to stick around year after year?? Have you all pieced together a lap counting system, or how do you handle that??? Just interested
Old 01-17-2003, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

I'll keep my eyes open for the mailman !! I understood what you meant about the the other club track but it gave me a chance to beg shamelessly !!! We are a new/old club......basically we had a club that disbanded back in September due to a conflict with the shop owner/ land owner. A small group if us stayed in contact and raced in other areas. Now we want to get things rolling again since the 1.5 hour drives were a pain and we wanted to race more than once a month. Timing system is next to purchase. We'll either borrow the money or look for a donation.I have a few ideas . We actually already have a permanent location available to us. Thats why I'm asking alot of track questions. Within the year we hope to establish the permanent track. At present it is a 70 x 130 feet of asphalt. It needs a new top coat of asphalt and we would be ready to roll. This will be a future track to watch. Big plans.. so wish us good luck. Thanks for asking!
Old 01-17-2003, 11:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey rcpigz, did you like the new drawing I posted?
Old 01-17-2003, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

So far I haven't seen any really bad ones but there are some that are more do-able than others. Boy I wish i had a big checkbook...then i could afford to make some mistakes...but right now the hardest thing to do is make sure that we can have as good a track as possible within the limits of our budget. Thanks again for all the kelp so far.....Feel free to keep talkin' guy's....I'm learning alot.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

I have a more clearly defined challenge if anybody is up to it ??

can anybody design a track using only 10ft sections of pipe.....with track dimensions of 50-57 ft wide and 100-120ft long...45degree and 90degree elbows only....a minimum number of corner dots....instead using tires at some corners(we have been offered everything from garden tractor tires to collapsible spare car tires and there cheap!!).....lane widths of 10ft.....tachnical in design....would prefer a sweeper at the end of the course connecting to the front straight. The first turn at the start of the race should be complex but not a parts breaker.
Keep in mind we would like to be able to do mini/micro cars so we need something that can be quickly changed and then put back to it's original configuration by moving a small number of sections. Thanks, who's up to the challenge????

Last edited by Evoracer; 01-17-2003 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Dino, dunno if anyone has said this yet, but for connectors... seems like automotive exaustpipe is the best ID-OD match for 2" PVC. You can also weld 2 pieces togther for 45's..works great. This thread is great, as trackbuilding is really a difficult task, as the bits are custom made. This is the stuff that ROAR really needs to help new clubs out with, but they don't. This and a "How to start a club the right way" booklet.

BTW, what do you have for a drivers stand ? We built some portable 36" tall stands for our informal meets.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

And on that note.... maybe ROAR can put some material together for suggestions on dealing with local governments and businesses for procurement of race areas. Demographic's and value add's for letting people race. I cannot tell you how many times I talk with people about getting space to race, and get shot down. If we have some "Sales Tools" it would be easier. Maybe it's my area of the county, maybe it is my appoach, but having a org like ROAR to help with that would sure help.

Sorry to get off on a Tangent
Old 01-17-2003, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by rcpigz
I have a more clearly defined challenge if anybody is up to it ??

can anybody design a track using only 10ft sections of pipe.....with track dimensions of 50-57 ft wide and 100-120ft long...45degree and 90degree elbows only....a minimum number of corner dots....instead using tires at some corners(we have been offered everything from garden tractor tires to collapsible spare car tires and there cheap!!).....lane widths of 10ft.....tachnical in design....would prefer a sweeper at the end of the course connecting to the front straight. The first turn at the start of the race should be complex but not a parts breaker.
Keep in mind we would like to be able to do mini/micro cars so we need something that can be quickly changed and then put back to it's original configuration by moving a small number of sections. Thanks, who's up to the challenge????
I'll have something popped off to you by the weekend.
Old 01-17-2003, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Yo Spooky....You got my vote ...so when do we elect a new ROAR director for Florida?? The exhaust pipe idea is new to the thread but a good one.

B.....I'll be looking forward to your ideas.

Anybody else heard of using the small collapsible spare tires for cars ( I always called em' MAY POPS) as corner markers?? Somebody e-mailed me about it. You cut a hole in the tire and insert the PVC pipe. Obviously the weight of the tire and rim keep it in place. Another guy said they cut the tire and rim in half,making 2 round markers and actually works close to the way a plow disc does. Junkyard in some states(like Florida) have to pay for disposing of used tires,which means you can buy unusable ones for cheap.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

The problem with tires is they are pretty brutal on cars, we used to use old lawn tractortires which are much softer than car tires and they really hurt when you hit them!!!

Check your local Golf supply store they make these little rubber disks to hit gold balls off of, you may be able to get a discount if you buy a bunch.... from memory they cost between $5 and $15 a piece depending on the size and weight......
Old 01-17-2003, 11:31 PM
Tech Elite

He's right.

The difference between a tire and a disk is that a car will run over a disk, maybe catch a little air, but come down and keep going. With a tire, the car STOPS, thanks for playing! Broken parts many times ensue.

What is fun, though, is that sometimes the car will hit the tire and bounce back out which yields some really cool T-bones and accidents as oncoming cars hit the unlucky bouncing car. . .

I would get the plastic discs before I went with tires.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:52 AM
Tech Champion

But remember, the plastic disks tend to shift and move when guys run over em. Id use Road Domes cuz they will stick to the ground pretty good and hold through a day of racing. I mean they use em with pretty decent success at S&N Trackside in 'sconsin (I know some of the guys there through AIM)
Old 01-18-2003, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Ahh this is where the rubber golf disks are nice.... they are made hold up to a 9 iron constantly pounding on them. Rubber/latex is quite heavy (not as much so as steel disks) and they come in 8 or 9 inch sizes, and the rubber/latex will actually stick to the asphalt, so moving should be little problem.... They also come in several different colors..... No painting/repaintig required.......
Old 01-18-2003, 10:23 AM
Tech Champion

Hey rcpigz, I know it aint catalunya but you like track 9?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.