Originally Posted by J.Filipow
Two word answer....

PUNCH IT!
J, you forgot Step 2

CLOSE YER EYES!
Old 03-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Now that I'm back into off road, one thing I've noticed about a lot of the tracks is that there are jumps where the landing goes right into a turn. If you can down side it right, not only can you accelerate or slow down if needed, but you can also start your turn and approach into the corner coming down the back side. Like everyone said, down siding a double/triple is so much a feel thing. It can take a lot of laps to judge the speed and timing just right. And you usually want to downside with the nose down to keep the back end from bucking up and loosing control.

Last edited by Jon Kerr; 03-16-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CRFXXXT
4) Mid-air left/right - I SWEAR I see people steering in the air. I've seen a local pro make vehicles shift left to right mid-air, several feet, after a straight launch. How is that done?

I am not sure how they are getting the car to actually move from left to right in mid air, but you can usually get the car to tilt left or right by making adjustments with the front wheels. It is a "momentum" and gyroscopic effect. The momentum or the front wheels will tile the car one way or the other. This is a good trick to learn because some of the faster lines are to the far inside or far outside and usually the fast of the jump is not square or may be a little slanted. Maybe someone else can chime in on how to make the car physically move from left to right. Maybe it is a quick move to either direction on the face of the jump. It usually happens so fast that it is hard to tell what they did to make the car do that. Same goes front the front and rear end. If you give it gas it will bring the nose up a little bit, and if you apply brake it will drop the nose. Now if you stab the brake (real quick trigger) it will drop the nose aggressive, and if you slowly apply the brake it may not move at all. This has a lot to do with car set up and how your particular vehicle reacts on take off.
With dish wheels when you turn the wheel the air hits them and makes the car adjust in mid air. Turn the wheel left it will swing the rear to the right.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Tech Adept

Personally I like to have my car/truck fly as low and level as possible. I try to pick the line on the track where the jumps are the lowest. Generally if you hit a jump with a steep face its gonna throw the nose up and you can tap the brake a little to correct. Start your practice off a little slow to pick a line that you would like to stay with and then speed up a little every lap. Probably to start with if its a big triple I would roll over the first and take it as a double. Then as you get better at correcting the car try for the full triple.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

jgroenhof - Which trucks are you comparing? You can set up any car to jump well.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

...as I drive more and more, you guys are all beginning to make sense. It's funny: one lap I'm too nose high, the next too low, the next too fast, the next too slow, the next I blip the throttle too late, the next too early, and then when I finally get a good double landed... my pack dumps!

Thanks everyone. I've re-read this topic several times in the past few weeks right before hitting the track.

Mr.Maim
Old 04-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I always think the best jump training its on those double - double small sections so you have to do a good job on throttle control, take a look at this little video (sorry guys, i just love it lol !) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykVJoSFX5BU

cya,
Old 04-07-2007, 12:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Maim as all here gave you really good advice, there is just way to get around getting there and driving every second you are there. it is way more a feel thing for your car/truck and the track layout as to how to handle any jump. but the feedback on attitude adjusment when it is the air is helpful to understand. it will give you the knowledge to save a potential crash when you land. its all about rythm and flow. like bicycle and motocross racing and how you move your bike in the air. i can tell you also i recently changed my 1/8 buggy to another brand just due to the one i had, i couldn't drive it in the air very well. it was a design issue of that car i had.

cause you don't want to be this guy to the right in the pic in truck 9
Attached Thumbnails How do YOU handle a Jump?-4721.jpg