Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Should brushed motors be allowed in the stock class? >

Should brushed motors be allowed in the stock class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should brushed motors be allowed in the stock class?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mac853
Are you meaning the 17.5 of team Novak, is it already released, so i didn't see in it's HP
No I don't think its release yet. It will be cool to see what becomes of it.

As far as the 17.5 its all speculation.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You can order the 17.5 direct from Novak or on line shops... a bunch of oval guys have them allready

http://www.lefthander-rc.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=50

Last edited by ottoman; 08-11-2007 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by ottoman
You can order the 17.5 direct from Novak... a bunch of oval guys have them allready

But I cant seem to find it on the Novak web site... I will have to ask how they got them
Lucky ducks probably got them for testing.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for sharing the news, but I hope if fit on others brands ESC, because team Novak it's the only one will release 17.5, so I have to wait while to see. Hope also more brands will think about it, of course, team Novak it's always the leader of BL systems.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The link I added to my post is one place that has 17.5's in stock
Old 08-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

http://www.shopatron.com/product/par...0.8180.0.0.0.0
Old 08-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If looking for the 17.5's YES Lefthander HAS them, as I also believe WINDTUNNEL/MURDOCK R/C does...

Or use the TeamNovak SHOPATRON...

if you scroll to the bottom of the page that has the 17.5's listed...

YOU CAN buy them in a lot of (4) at with I believe a $5.00 per motor savings, plus combined SHIPPING.

This saves close to $47.00 off a total purchase of 4 motors - which works out great for guys looking to bring this class to a local club or group.

(every little bit of savings helps)

The motor has been available directly from the NOVAK site for about 4 or 5 weeks now...and we've been trying to get the word out as many places as possible. NOVAKS plan is/was to only offer this motor from their sight, but because there are at least 3-4 groups of OVAL racing clubs/organizations involved with using it - several of the oval carrying internet hobby shops have picked it up too.

THANK YOU HAYS Jr. @ LEFTHANDER and Rob @ MURDOCK + Barry Hill @ MSA DIST.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:42 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Originally Posted by SWTour
...as only a 1/2 serious thread but a serious answer...

LOOK INTO The NEW 17.5 motor if you want a B/L motor you can combine w/ a 27t STOCK motor. They have shown to be a WHOLE lot closer to being equal on speeds. Might be a problem for some TC's being able to get a TALL enough gear ratio (mainly SHAFT DRIVE CARS) but other than that - you gear this thing really tall compared to a 13.5 or a 10.5 (cause it seems that's all you do w/ B/L motors the BIGGER the number goes...the BIGGER the gear ratio.

This new motor is picking up popularity in the OVAL world..and we are seeing some try it in other forms as well... ( I think it will make an awesome OFFROAD motor as well) ALL the B/L benefits - but with a Controllable Speed.
are we saying 17.5 is a 27t equivilent now ???

so 13.5 is not
what about the LRP 15.5 then

this is just cack the poxy company's are really pissing this whole thing up
no wonder there's resistence against combining the 2 type's (brushed/BL), Hell if they can's sort what No.13.5 or 15.5 or even 17.5 what chance has the local club racers/organiser's have for getting BL & brushed together

company's
could'nt organise a piss up in a brewery, all greedy money grabber's
Old 08-12-2007, 01:52 AM
Tech Lord

I believe he's talking about oval with 7.4V LiPo. Isn't that why you guys are using the 17.5's? Because you want to run LiPo and keep your speeds close to 27T with 4 cell NiMH?
Old 08-12-2007, 05:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MR JOLLY

so 13.5 is not

no wonder there's resistence against combining the 2 type's (brushed/BL), Hell if they can's sort what No.13.5 or 15.5 or even 17.5 what chance has the local club racers/organiser's have for getting BL & brushed together

company's
I think we should all just agree there is no such thing as a 27T brushless equal. There are motors that might have similar lap times but it will never be the same. Perhaps the equal depends on the track layout and having options allows a club to determine what they feel the equal to 27T is?
Old 08-12-2007, 05:53 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by or8ital
I think we should all just agree there is no such thing as a 27T brushless equal. There are motors that might have similar lap times but it will never be the same. Perhaps the equal depends on the track layout and having options allows a club to determine what they feel the equal to 27T is?
I hear that. Its going to be an open stock thats for sure. It will make the stock class faster to. Which I personally am for.

so 13.5 is not

company's
Well they have to make money. Its up to us whether we buy it. If its faster we will and its because most should be running 4300's. Thats the slowest motor I own. I wonder how close it would run to a 4300.? Until they get into killing the 4300 motor I doubt I will even buy any more brushless motors.

Originally Posted by SWTour
If looking for the 17.5's YES Lefthander HAS them, as I also believe WINDTUNNEL/MURDOCK R/C does...

Or use the TeamNovak SHOPATRON...

if you scroll to the bottom of the page that has the 17.5's listed...

YOU CAN buy them in a lot of (4) at with I believe a $5.00 per motor savings, plus combined SHIPPING.

This saves close to $47.00 off a total purchase of 4 motors - which works out great for guys looking to bring this class to a local club or group.

(every little bit of savings helps)

The motor has been available directly from the NOVAK site for about 4 or 5 weeks now...and we've been trying to get the word out as many places as possible. NOVAKS plan is/was to only offer this motor from their sight, but because there are at least 3-4 groups of OVAL racing clubs/organizations involved with using it - several of the oval carrying internet hobby shops have picked it up too.

THANK YOU HAYS Jr. @ LEFTHANDER and Rob @ MURDOCK + Barry Hill @ MSA DIST.
So.?????????? Is it FASTER,?????????????? {Biting nails}
Old 08-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The quest to find out if a 13.5 or any other brushless motor is faster, is futile!! Brushed motors have no controlled environment to test for similarities. Whereas a brushless motor is exactly the same every time someone buys one. It takes experience and skill to build a fast brushed motor. Something I am still trying to work on. But the debate is pointless because everyone builds a brushed motor to their driving preference. We run brushed and brushless at our track and 9 times out of 10 brushed takes the pole. Yes run them together until the big races go strictly brushless and we brushed guys are forced to open the wallet for an entirely new motor setup.
Peace,
C
Old 08-13-2007, 02:32 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Bluey_74
the smaller tighter tracks there is little to no advantage. but as we go up in track size the brushless advantage creeps up.
There is only so much one can do before you get wheel spin or understeer with any given amount of power, so I guess thats where the smaller tracks can make it more interesting
Old 08-13-2007, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

so 13.5 is not

company's
Well our club runs the 27T and 13.5 in the same class. However in the sportsman class they do not allow brushless. I have asked if we could use the 17.5 in the sportsman class if it is supposed to be slower than a 13.5. I guess we will see. To me it seems as if 13.5 will be here to stay as the "lower" spec class. Not sure where the 17.5 and 15.5 will end up...(in RTRs??? or oval???).
Old 08-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mojoman
Whereas a brushless motor is exactly the same every time someone buys one.
Not 100% true. The rotor can make all the difference. While at the track this week, we had this same discussion. There is something on the market (anyone know the name please post) that can test the "strength" of the rotor, and the best rotors can now be cherry picked. If you look at some of the oval sites, where 90% have gone brushless, you will find tons of tested rotors for sale. So much for keeping a level playing field

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.