Wiki Posts
Search

The right pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 01:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default The right pipe?

Is it true that you are supposed to run a pipe that is desisned for the power output of your engine? Basically if you have a motor that has a ton of bottom end then you should get a pipe that is also designed for bottom end?

I was told today that if you have a engine that has lots of punch and you want more top end that you should run a high end pipe but I always thought that that you should tune the pipe to where the engine puts out the most power.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 162 (100%+)

The only way to really know what will work is to test it out your motor with different pipes. What type of vehicle do u run, and what motor and pipe combination that will give me a better idea of what you are trying to compare, and what size tracks? Pipes that are designed for low-end will give low-end punch, and not as much top-end. Pipes for top-end will have a little less punch but more top end. The motor respnds to the backpressure of the pipe if i am correct and this is why the pipe is important. With a motor with a lot of top end, you can put a low end pipe on it and it will give it more low-end. Same goes for putting the top-end pipe on, but you will give up the low-end punch. Hope this helps explain it.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Their are a couple pipes that just work all the time with about any engine.

.12 size engines, The losi drake pipe, Paris turbo ring pipe and asc factory team pipes

.21 ofna or nova 086,063 pipes and o.s. 2050

these pipes will work well almost all the time.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

trial and error is the best way. to me i look at where i need more power. if i dont have enough low end at a certain track i will try to adjust for that and vice versa.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

normally you would run a pipe that would compinsate for where your engine may lack or what you need on the track

for example I have heard the ofna hyper.21 is a top end screamer SO...
to get more bottom end for better acceleration and mid range I would use a 063 pipe OR
if I wanted even more top end I would go with a 086 pipe which aids the top end power band.

you can basicly bend the power band to suit what kind of driving you want to do.