Like Tree23Likes

Capricorn LAB C03 1/10th scale 200mm chassis

Old 02-25-2015, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kickass
You dont glue them in, you lock tite them in with

LoctiteŽ 263 High Strength Threadlocker

LoctiteŽ 263 High Strength Threadlocker is a Versatile, high strength liquid threadlocker. Reliably locks and seals metal fasteners up to 1 in. Engineered to cure consistently on a variety of metals, despite minor surface contaminants. Works on steel, stainless steel and most plated fasteners. Tolerates thread lubrication, corrosion protection anti-fluids. Rated for 360°F (180°C). Heat required for removal.

Features

High performance on various metals.
Improved temperature resistance (180°C).
Improved oil resistance.

Technical Data:
Passive metals cure, oil tolerance and high-temperature performance
Typical applications: Replaces LoctiteŽ 270 and LoctiteŽ 271 formulations
Viscosity: 400/600Cp
Cure Time: Fixture - 5 min Full - 24 hrs
Break torque: 23N.m
Prevail torque: 33 N.m

GET THE PICTURE.... It WILL NOT fall off.

Or you can buy a new one if you have money to throw away.
Loctite 263 is the wrong product for this application and should only be used to secure fasteners.

Loctite is a brand name and what they sell are mostly glues/adhesives.

If you really want to glue the pins back in the flywheel Loctite 640 should be used. Loctite 640 is specifically engineered to secure press fit assemblies.

LoctiteŽ Sleeve Retainer 640™ is a high temperature anaerobic adhesive that secures slip and press fit assemblies. Adds up to 3,000 psi holding power. Restores fit to worn or out-of-tolerance assemblies. Prevents surface corrosion. Works to 400°F. Mil Spec: Mil-S-46082B Type II. ASTM-D5363: Group 4 Class 1 Grade 2.
http://www.henkelna.com/product-sear...=8797924524033

This is also the product I always use to secure the bearings in the 2-speed housing.

But like others said, your flywheel is too important to rely on Loctite.
In order to achieve the strength listed in the specs you will need a perfect bond, this can only be achieved after proper training on how to work with Loctite products.
If the pins come out again it can ruin your race and it will also ruin your clutch bell.
Plus a bottle of Loctite costs around the same as a new flywheel.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

So clearly I have been using the wrong product for over 20 years, which was when i first encountered this problem, i bought the bottle back then for around $5 au and have repaired pins on well over 20 flywheels and numerous one way bearing replacements with it.
This includes both my flywheels and one way on my current cap tourer. I have yet to have a failure, ever... must be just lucky aye ???
I probably should have kept buying new flywheels and oneway housings cause they are soooo cheap especially the capricorn ones.
I have won more than my fair share of races including 3 Gas national titles, if you guys think you know it all then i have nothing more to say, sorry for trying to offer a solution proven and tested for over 20 years.

Over and out.
KicKass Racing
Old 02-27-2015, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kickass
So clearly I have been using the wrong product for over 20 years, which was when i first encountered this problem, i bought the ............... my fair share of races including 3 Gas national titles, if you guys think you know it all then i have nothing more to say, sorry for trying to offer a solution proven and tested for over 20 years.

Over and out.
KicKass Racing
Well ,for me , this raises different set of questions. I too have over 20 years of fuel RC racing experience. In those years I can think of maybe 2-3 times I have encountered loose flywheel pins. I guess my question now is not what you are doing to repair the pins, but rather what you are doing to cause the pins to loosen on one flywheel every year for the last 20 years.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Default Love your work brother!

Hey guys, to be fair on all parties we all drum to a different beat. Kickass is a unique racer and many may find his methods odd at the very least, he is the King of budget racing and he's at the pointy end of the aussie crew, he has been for many years and that's not as easy as some may think. He's one of those racers that every race team on a budget needs if they want to take on the likes of McLaren and Red Bull and make their presence felt.

I've known him for years now, his racing strategies are unique and I admire him for what he has contributed to the world of RC in Australia. Rather than get into the particulars and question his motives. Perhaps accept his resolution might work and get the problem solved until the individual makes up his mind.

Kickass, don't get worked up by it brother, you know I have a lot RESPECT for you! So here I am, and I'm voicing it, not because of Capricorn, but because what I learned from you over the years, and Luke has too!

Daan, I too would toss the flywheel and get another, no IFS, no BUTS! If you ever had a chance to race with KickAss you too may end up having the same respect for him, whether you agree or disagree. He has motivated many racers like us and we have learned that throwing money at this hobby, where money is best spent on participation, might have a lot to do with why so many give up.

Capricorn LAB C03 1/10th scale 200mm chassis-dscf0093.jpg

I take my hat off to any man that wears a gold plated piston, does it with a home made wooden starter box older than my sons and makes A-Main in Australia.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Thank you guys for all the advice. Cap is sent out a new flywheel. Excellent customer service!!!!!!

I'll probably keep the old flywheel and use the suggested method just in case I need one in a pinch. I appreciate the help guys. Thank you
Old 03-01-2015, 01:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by blis
Hey guys, to be fair on all parties we all drum to a different beat. Kickass is a unique racer and many may find his methods odd at the very least, he is the King of budget racing and he's at the pointy end of the aussie crew, he has been for many years and that's not as easy as some may think. He's one of those racers that every race team on a budget needs if they want to take on the likes of McLaren and Red Bull and make their presence felt.

I've known him for years now, his racing strategies are unique and I admire him for what he has contributed to the world of RC in Australia. Rather than get into the particulars and question his motives. Perhaps accept his resolution might work and get the problem solved until the individual makes up his mind.

Kickass, don't get worked up by it brother, you know I have a lot RESPECT for you! So here I am, and I'm voicing it, not because of Capricorn, but because what I learned from you over the years, and Luke has too!

Daan, I too would toss the flywheel and get another, no IFS, no BUTS! If you ever had a chance to race with KickAss you too may end up having the same respect for him, whether you agree or disagree. He has motivated many racers like us and we have learned that throwing money at this hobby, where money is best spent on participation, might have a lot to do with why so many give up.

Attachment 1274545
Thanks for the kind words Harry, you offer people an alternative solution and you get slandered LOL. That starter box looks much better now it has had a freshen up. its only 20 years old and still gets used by most 1/8 scale people who want to turn over new tight engines. in all my years of racing i have never bought a new starter box, tyre truer or radio, now thats buget racing...
Harry thar rod om my necklace came out of my 2000 winning nationals engine and the piston is solid gold, just some trivial BS....see you guys at easter ???

Last edited by kickass; 03-01-2015 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by P2gee
Well ,for me , this raises different set of questions. I too have over 20 years of fuel RC racing experience. In those years I can think of maybe 2-3 times I have encountered loose flywheel pins. I guess my question now is not what you are doing to repair the pins, but rather what you are doing to cause the pins to loosen on one flywheel every year for the last 20 years.
to quickly answer this question not that i feel that i should, but i will. back in the late 90s myself and select few drivers were factory sponsored by NEO Racing who made 235mm, 1/8 and 200mm cars. we were heavily involved in the development of these cars and as the centax style clutch was relatively new in design we encountered several batches with 3 major issues.
1) the angle of ramp was not steep enough for smooth operation of the shoes.
2) the annodising was not shiny enough causing shoes to stick
and last but not least, yep you have guessed it
3) we had bags of flywheels which had loose pins...from the factory mind you. i could go on and on but i think you know where this goes.
Eventually they put together a good product which won me 3 australian titles. ahh the good ol days
Old 03-03-2015, 10:20 AM
Tech Adept

Hey guys,

I want to buy this car but i do not want faulty parts of course where pins loosen ...

I hope this is an isolated issue then ?

Greetz,
Christoph
Old 03-06-2015, 08:03 AM
Tech Adept

I have bought a C03.
Will have it Tuesday, Wednesday

I hope it will be good quality

Woohoooo

Greetz,
Christoph
Old 03-08-2015, 05:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just finished building my c03 one of the best builds I've done.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

NICE!!!! You guys will enjoy this car.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bluer322
I just finished building my c03 one of the best builds I've done.
Cool !

Hope mine will build as good as yours

Greetz,
Christoph
Old 04-30-2015, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

Anyone working at Cap America this week? Every time I call I can't seem to get a live person. I submitted a request on my account and so far no response. I need to get an issue resolved with my order I just received.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by kingtito
Anyone working at Cap America this week? Every time I call I can't seem to get a live person. I submitted a request on my account and so far no response. I need to get an issue resolved with my order I just received.
Just a hunch but, I'm willing to bet that the ROAR Fuel Nationals has the undivided attention of people like Capricorn USA, RC America, Desoto Racing, et. al. You're not likely to get any response until Monday or Tuesday of next week.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by el salvador
Just a hunch but, I'm willing to bet that the ROAR Fuel Nationals has the undivided attention of people like Capricorn USA, RC America, Desoto Racing, et. al. You're not likely to get any response until Monday or Tuesday of next week.
I was afraid of that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.