Wiki Posts
Search

Help with dying buggy when it lands

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Help with dying buggy when it lands

I had some engine boogin problems, where it was bogging down really bad on the bottom end. I got that fixed and everything was running great for about 4 tanks today. Then all of a sudden I landed a jump and it died. Now it's dying on almost every landing unless I have power going to it.
As soon as it hits the ground it dies, even if I just hold it and drop it from a couple feet. I thought maybe the flywheel was getting hit because I saw dirt a few times near it when I checked after it died, but dropping it in the grass was doing the same thing.

Any ideas on what I should look for to fix it would be great.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (97%+)

Sounds like you just need to turn your idle screw in a bit. Pretty common.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

check the clutch
Old 06-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 5 (88%+)

Originally Posted by modified763
Sounds like you just need to turn your idle screw in a bit. Pretty common.
+1 when the engine is cold the idle might be where you want it but as it heats up the idle is going to drop. Always tune and set on your engine with full track temp in it.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by carlam
+1 when the engine is cold the idle might be where you want it but as it heats up the idle is going to drop. Always tune and set on your engine with full track temp in it.
Thanks guys. I kind of thought my idle sounded kind of low a few times when I stopped to check out a jump. We rebuild one of our tracks today and I was the test pilot for the jump placement. It seemed to be dropping lower then usual , but it was running well, and I never thought that would kill my buggy on landings.

It was idleing pretty high for 10 seconds or so until it would drop. But I'll try and open up the idle a little and hopefully that fixes it. Wednesday is going to be our first little race day at the new track, and it would suck if I was still having problems.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Tech Adept

If it's got a clunk in the tank check that, I've seen a clunk stick up on jumps before if it's adjusted wrong.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (97%+)

Originally Posted by bevofrancis
Thanks guys. I kind of thought my idle sounded kind of low a few times when I stopped to check out a jump. We rebuild one of our tracks today and I was the test pilot for the jump placement. It seemed to be dropping lower then usual , but it was running well, and I never thought that would kill my buggy on landings.

It was idleing pretty high for 10 seconds or so until it would drop. But I'll try and open up the idle a little and hopefully that fixes it. Wednesday is going to be our first little race day at the new track, and it would suck if I was still having problems.
If it idles for 10 seconds after lifting while on the box, fatten up the top a couple of hours, possibly three, and the bottom fatten 1/4 to 1/2 turn out. That should help and compensate for turning the idle in as well.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

I wouldn't touch the bottom end just yet. If it idles down eventually, then the low-speed needle is pretty close to where it needs to be. If it's staying at high idle after releasing the throttle, it's a strong indication that it's very lean on the high speed needle. Open up the main needle until the engine idles down properly - the bottom end will get a little richer by opening the main needle anyway.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Make sure your engine is bolted in tight and also make sure your clutch bell or flywheel isnt hitting the chassis when flexing from a landing. If it is rubbing the chassis there will be marks from it.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Tech Regular

I fixed the probelm guys. I opened the idle up a little and i runs fine now.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Originally Posted by bevofrancis
I fixed the probelm guys. I opened the idle up a little and i runs fine now.
good. do you plan on racing any at Steve King's new track in New Vienna?
Old 06-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Tech Addict

Default Hey!

What's up Quad! I didnt really getta meet you except a couple times in passing at the springfeild track about a month ago. I was there with Bevo.(I was the guy that spent all day marshalling) I ordered an AE truggy that should be here today or tomorrow! Anyway....

Where is this new track(Steve King's) as i would like to know where all the tracks near us are.?

Sorry to off topic your post Bevo. You can smack me lata.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Hey yea I remember you. Thanks for marshaling us haha

Did you get the CE edition RC8T? or just the reg one? Either one will be awesome!

Steve King's new track is in New Vienna, Ohio at New Vienna Motocross park. Its a real nice track. He races every Sunday. This Sunday will be my first time going out there. I've been up at fastraxx for a couple weeks so haven't made it to steve's yet.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Here ya go

Sunday Races
New Vienna Motorsports Park
201 Laymon Road
New Vienna, Ohio 45159

Open Practice: 7AM to 9AM
Signups: 9AM to 10AM
Racing Starts at 10AM

Price:
$20 ---> 1st Class
$5 ----> 2nd Class

Classes:
1/8 Sportsmen Buggy
1/8 Expert Buggy
Truggy
Mod Buggy
Slash Spec (Sportsman)
Slash Spec (Expert)

You'll need the following:
Generator (if you have one), Canopy for shade, Table, and of course your RC Gear.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Tech Addict

I bought the RTR I've been outta the hobby for almost a decade so none of my old stuff is up to date.... Might as well at least getta a rdy kit to get goin.

Thanks for the Info on the track IDK if my truggy will be rdy by sunday(break-in and setup) but i'll try to make it if i can get the buggy guys to go!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.