Wiki Posts
Search

Buggy to match Driving Style

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 05:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Buggy to match Driving Style

Hi Peeps

I'm moving over from electric touring car/electric buggy racing to race Nitro Buggy. I'm wondering is there cars that suit certain driving styles??

Cars I'm looking at is Losi 2.0, RC8B, MP9 and MBX6.

Any help will be cool
Old 12-23-2009, 06:05 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jackdaniels
Hi Peeps

I'm moving over from electric touring car/electric buggy racing to race Nitro Buggy. I'm wondering is there cars that suit certain driving styles??

Cars I'm looking at is Losi 2.0, RC8B, MP9 and MBX6.

Any help will be cool
All of those are great cars. I haven't driven any of them, (I switched from buggy to truggy before any of them but the RC8B came out) but from watching them on the track:

RC8B is the most "traditional" of them, maybe not quite as "edgy" as the Losi or Mugen. It can be driven really hard.

The Losi will reward a smoother driver- that MIGHT be the car for you, coming from electric touring and buggy- I assume you mean 2WD buggy? It is pretty edgy and precise. It rewards a good driver, and will spank a bad one.

The Mugen is just a touch more forgiving than the Losi. It is a little better on durability (parts wear, not breakage... from a breakage perspective both are tougher than you are used to by an order of magnitude.)

I'm not sure about the MP9. The only driver I know with one recently switched from another brand and slowed down... but he is still getting the setup sorted out and getting used to the car. I assume once he has the car set up to his liking it will be "game on." Kyosho makes great stuff, and the durability is second to only XRAY. They're a bit pricier than the others though.

The Mugen and Losi drivers pretty much dominate at our local track.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

If you get a losi shoot me a email. I can probably save you some money. I had one built up for a customer through The Speed Shop and they backed out.

[email protected]

The losi is a great car. You have one part that would be the "high" wear part and thats the center front drive bone. We work on a lot of them through the shop, as do we the mugens and AE's. I have only had one mp9 come through. I cant agree with parts wear on the losi because I race more than most and dont see anything crazy. It's kinda the same on all the cars.

The losi is probably the most popular car in the U.S. It has got car of the year as voted by consumers, etc. I would say then it would be AE and Mugen. Either would be a good car.

Let me know if I can help you.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Just make sure you can get parts locally.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Another one you should check out; Ofna's Hyper9(very thoughtful design). I think most of the popular 1/8th awd race buggys are very competitive on performance. What i'm saying is that they are all outstanding and very similar in performance. What you don't like you can change the settings. Its not like you are compairing pepsi to water, it's more like pepsi to coke.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Tech Adept

I have raced both the Losi 2.0 and HB D8. The 2.0 is fast but always on edge, I always had a hard time getting a real good feel for it.

The D8 was suprisingly smooth and stable. I chose to race the 2.0 over the D8 because no matter where you go and race there are parts.

All the buggy's mentioned above are good. It's probably going to come down to which brand you have had the most experience with.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by DOMIT
All of those are great cars. I haven't driven any of them, (I switched from buggy to truggy before any of them but the RC8B came out) but from watching them on the track:

RC8B is the most "traditional" of them, maybe not quite as "edgy" as the Losi or Mugen. It can be driven really hard.

The Losi will reward a smoother driver- that MIGHT be the car for you, coming from electric touring and buggy- I assume you mean 2WD buggy? It is pretty edgy and precise. It rewards a good driver, and will spank a bad one.

The Mugen is just a touch more forgiving than the Losi. It is a little better on durability (parts wear, not breakage... from a breakage perspective both are tougher than you are used to by an order of magnitude.)

I'm not sure about the MP9. The only driver I know with one recently switched from another brand and slowed down... but he is still getting the setup sorted out and getting used to the car. I assume once he has the car set up to his liking it will be "game on." Kyosho makes great stuff, and the durability is second to only XRAY. They're a bit pricier than the others though.

The Mugen and Losi drivers pretty much dominate at our local track.

i have to agree with u on the losi eight,its meant for a smoother driver i drove 2wd eletric and 2wd gas truck and u have to. be smooth on the throttle and drive it smooth it fits my driving. sytle thats for sure and u will be fast with the eight if u are used to driving smooth,u can though drive the eight somewhat hard though .

about the eight being edgey i have the 1.0 eight-b and when i had the stock, setup it was really edgy but since. i did the mike thrute setup its a lot smoother.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
i have to agree with u on the losi eight,its meant for a smoother driver i drove 2wd eletric and 2wd gas truck and u have to. be smooth on the throttle and drive it smooth it fits my driving. sytle thats for sure and u will be fast with the eight if u are used to driving smooth,u can though drive the eight somewhat hard though .

about the eight being edgey i have the 1.0 eight-b and when i had the stock, setup it was really edgy but since. i did the mike thrute setup its a lot smoother.
Looks like somebody needs to go back to 3rd grade where they teach you how to use periods and commas correctly.

Who is Mike Thrute?
Old 12-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
Looks like somebody needs to go back to 3rd grade where they teach you how to use periods and commas correctly.

Who is Mike Thrute?

dude seriously maybe u cant read or see but i use periods and commas.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tc5 man

TRANSLATION: I agree with you on the Losi 8ight, it is meant for smooth drivers. I used to drive 1/10 2wd electric and gas truck where you have to be smooth on the throttle and drive it smooth to be fast, which fits my driving style perfectly. You will be fast with the 8ight if you can drive smooth, but you can drive it hard. (Not true!)

The stock setup on the 8ight is edgy, but I recently tried the Mike Truhe setup and it is alot smoother.

Isn't that alot easier to read? Nobody can understand your posts.

Yes, you do use periods and commas, you use use them in the middle of a sentence.

tc5 man probable translation: Yes you do use. periods and commas you just, use them in the middle. of a sentence.

Last time I checked, 'u' wasn't a word and you are suppose to use capitals in names and at the beginning of sentences.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Losi all the way!!!! 2.0 is the way to go.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
TRANSLATION: I agree with you on the Losi 8ight, it is meant for smooth drivers. I used to drive 1/10 2wd electric and gas truck where you have to be smooth on the throttle and drive it smooth to be fast, which fits my driving style perfectly. You will be fast with the 8ight if you can drive smooth, but you can drive it hard. (Not true!)

The stock setup on the 8ight is edgy, but I recently tried the Mike Truhe setup and it is alot smoother.

Isn't that alot easier to read? Nobody can understand your posts.

Yes, you do use periods and commas, you use use them in the middle of a sentence.

tc5 man probable translation: Yes you do use. periods and commas you just, use them in the middle. of a sentence.

Last time I checked, 'u' wasn't a word and you are suppose to use capitals in names and at the beginning of sentences.
All this comes from texting on the phone. Keyboard people don't do it. I can't understand 'em half the time.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think it's worth mentioning that the losi is almost 150$ sometimes 200$ more then a mugen. And you still have to get wheels and tires.

I have never driven a losi, but from what i understand the parts wear in the drivetrain develop slop rather quickly and have to be replaced often. Seems like alot of money for something with such high maintenace.

I have about 10 gallons on my mugen with the same drivetrain. And it still has minimul wear. Although the center driveshafts will need to be replaced in a month or so (pins are getting pretty flat)
Old 12-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AndrewClaycomb
Just make sure you can get parts locally.
+1
Or find an online source in the area so you can get parts in a day or 2. Any car can be tuned to suit your driving style.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dreaux
I think it's worth mentioning that the losi is almost 150$ sometimes 200$ more then a mugen. And you still have to get wheels and tires.

I have never driven a losi, but from what i understand the parts wear in the drivetrain develop slop rather quickly and have to be replaced often. Seems like alot of money for something with such high maintenace.

I have about 10 gallons on my mugen with the same drivetrain. And it still has minimul wear. Although the center driveshafts will need to be replaced in a month or so (pins are getting pretty flat)
No the Losi is cheaper than Mugen. You can get a Losi 2.0 race roller for $500 + $8 shipping at nitrohouse, while the Mugen M-Spec race roller is $540 + shipping at amainhobbies. The 2.0 comes with Losi wheels and XBT tires which are surprizingly good.

I bought my original 8ight from somebody who bought it used, from somebody who bought it used. The original mach 427 (started life as a RTR) was pinched 3 times and still runs good, so say 8 gallons a pinch times 2 (just got another pinch) is approx. 16 gallons (I ran it for 10 gallons), 2 gallons from a modded 427 and 3 gallons from a v-spec. Yes, I know, I run way too much. And I havent replaced a drivetrain part yet.

The main thing is, you haven't driven a Losi. Don't bag on it until you have tried it. I have nothing bad to say about the Mugen, other than Losi is more popular than Mugen around here so parts are much more readily available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.