Wiki Posts
Search

8ight or jammin

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
As for my setup: 40-30 shocks with grey springs and stock pistons, 5-5-2 diffs, 2.75 rear toe, about 2 front toe, 3.5 camber all the way around (that actually helped, even though it SOUNDS wrong!) (I usually run Panther or Werks tires, which give a good contact patch with that camber setting- not so great if I put Crimefighters on there!) ) 1.9mm front bar, rear bar ends moved in to stiffen the rear, front shocks in the INSIDE hole on bottom, 2nd hole from inside on top, rear shocks on outside hole bottom, 1 hole out on top, caster maximized for on-power steering. The car is pretty loose, but still pushes. Rear arms all the way back to keep more weight on the front tires. Even with all of that, it pushes. I'm out of ideas without adding weight to the front of the car.
Rear droop settings? Make sure weight is being transferred to the front tires off power. My personal opinion is with that much rear camber the rear will stick and cause the front to push.

I ran the MBX5 and loved it, but its been a few years.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have about the same front and rear on droop, not sure of the number. Shocks are NOT bottomed. Chassis pretty much level resting on the wheels, arms slightly drooped front and rear, but just slightly.

I've given up on this car... just bought a Losi today. I couldn't resist after driving one over the weekend. It just suits me better.

Anyone want to buy a worn-out Mugen? Lots of spares, but needs a chassis and center outdrives.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

rear is supposed to sit lowwer than the front...not doggin anyone but if you set up any car wrong it wont do what you want it to lol
Old 10-31-2007, 06:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey all thanks for all the great info. I will let you know that i went with the losi. It should be here by monday. I can hardly wait.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:53 AM
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Mugen life - Not really. Get your ride height. Set your front and rear to even heights. Run a tank. Lower the front compaired to the rear. Run a tank. Now run the rear lower than the front. Run a tank. Most importantly, tell us what you observed.
It is all in how you like your car to feel for you.
I ran a guy's MBX5R a couple of weeks ago and it flies. It had tons of steering and his chassis was set up like my Losi. The front was 1mm lower than the rear. It makes the car very aggressive.
This and droop are two of the most overlooked settings in 1/8 buggy in my opinion.
Very good stuff.
TEX
Old 11-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by mugenlife
rear is supposed to sit lowwer than the front...not doggin anyone but if you set up any car wrong it wont do what you want it to lol
If the rear is lower than the front it has EVEN LESS steering. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bagging the Mugen. Quality is top-notch and there is NOTHING easier to drive with a "regular" setup. I've pushed my setup to the point where it is as aggressive as you can make it, and I'm just not happy with it.

Moot point now, I bought a Losi. I'll get it set up and run it this weekend.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

never seen a car on a track mugen or any that the front set lower..maybe we just have really good mugen drivers lol
Old 11-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Most cars you DON'T set the front lower... and maybe you do have really good Mugen drivers. In the right hands it is very capable. It's just not the car for me. The Losi factory setup is 2mm lower in the front.

Losinitro, get some setup sheets from the pros. It will help you get the car close to being "right." The info in the manual will give you some good tuning tips too. However, THE BEST explanation of setup is in the Xray manual. If you know someone with an Xray, ask if you can borrow theirs. It explains what different changes do to the way the car behaves in very clear terms, and it applies to any buggy. Good luck with the Losi. I don't think you will be disappointed!
Old 11-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

wer have 2 at least partially factory drivers come to our local track and a couple others that drive prospecs and r's into the b-a mains at bigger races but mostly losi factory guys lol
Old 11-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Default what manual

Hey Domit wht xray manual has the setup info you are talking about in it? I just looked at their site and you can download the manuals their. Id love to read the info.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Tech Initiate

i would go with the jammin
Old 11-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by losinitro
Hey Domit wht xray manual has the setup info you are talking about in it? I just looked at their site and you can download the manuals their. Id love to read the info.

Just the XB8 manual. The setup info and explanation for that rocks. BTW the Losi one isn't bad for a watered-down, simplified version.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

go the losi