Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Gluing New JConcepts Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I keep my glue in the refrigerator.... glue stays good to the last drop...
Old 03-23-2017, 07:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

MNICEGUY

Lots of good tips here. Although I really don't think you're doing anything wrong. As I have experienced the same as you. For our track, the buggy combo that works for me is a Schumcher Cut Stagger yellow low profile front and the J Concepts Pin Downs pinks on the rear.

I recycle my rims by soaking in acetone, as it's not uncommon to smoke a set of tires in a 2-3hr practice session. Same as you've experienced, the Schumacher tire will tear/rip as you try to pull it off the rim (the bond between the tire/rim is stronger than the tire). Whereas the JConcepts peels right off with a crunchy sound (sort of rice crispies). Both tires are glued with the same tire glue (AKA medium), same prep and within minutes of each other. I wipe the bead of the tire with some isopropyl alcohol and let dry just prior to gluing.

I've probably used 15-20 pairs of Pin Downs this winter season. All behaved the same, for a little while right around xmas, the Pin Downs were hard to get.

Once I had the tire come off the the bead on the track w the J Concepts (high speed sweeper on the one layout). The one that I lost the bead on were glued at the track the day of the race, about 30 minutes before the race, and probably not fully dried. However the bond between the Schumacher and the rim is almost instant. Now I glue them at least a day before and really let them dry. That seams to work the best, be liberal with the glue and let them dry at least overnight.

It's just the nature of the beast with the Pin Downs. On a positive note, makes reusing the wheels easier.

I used to run the Schumacher mini pin, but the JConcepts lasts so much longer.
MNiceGuy likes this.

Last edited by BigChris in PA; 03-23-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigChris in PA
MNICEGUY

Lots of good tips here. Although I really don't think you're doing anything wrong. As I have experienced the same as you. For our track, the buggy combo that works for me is a Schumcher Cut Stagger yellow low profile front and the J Concepts Pin Downs pinks on the rear.

I recycle my rims by soaking in acetone, as it's not uncommon to smoke a set of tires in a 2-3hr practice session. The Schumacher tire will tear/rip as you try to pull it off the rim, the JConcepts peels right off. Both tires are glued with the same tire glue (AKA medium), same prep and within minutes of each other.

Once I had the tire come off the the bead on the track w the J Concepts. The one that I lost the bead on were glued at the track the day of the race, about 30 minutes before the race, and probably not fully dried. However the bond between the Schumacher and the rim is almost instant. Now I glue them at least a day before and really let them dry.

It's just the nature of the beast with the Pin Downs. On a positive note, makes reusing the wheels easier.

I used to run the Schumacher mini pin, but the JConcepts lasts so much longer.
The go-to combo at my track is Schumacher LP Cut-Stagger and Mini-Pin rear. I've found the JConcepts tire package to be very similar in performance but I haven't been running them long enough to comment on their wear characteristics.

It's interesting to hear that you've had a similar experience with the JConcepts tires. As I mentioned in the OP, I've glued many sets of Schumachers and never had separation problems. In fact, recently I noticed I didn't have a bead set quite right as I was gluing up a set of Mini-Pins. When I went to pull it back it quite literally tore the tire from bead to bead.

Based on what I've read here, I really do think I have glue problems. I bought the stuff eons ago. I can certainly amp up my cleaning regiment as well. Afterall, I do like the tires so I'm willing to give them another shot. If they still pull off I guess my money goes back to the Brits.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MNiceGuy
The go-to combo at my track is Schumacher LP Cut-Stagger and Mini-Pin rear. I've found the JConcepts tire package to be very similar in performance but I haven't been running them long enough to comment on their wear characteristics.
I used to run the Mini Pin in the rear. Same as you, the Cut Stagger/Mini Pin is the goto, and lots of guys still run that combo as it's a solid ozite performer. I just think the Pin Downs last longer than the Mini Pin. I mount the wider textured area to the outside of the buggy. I will say although the Pin Downs last longer, I think they fall off quick once they wear out. You'll be turning descent laps, then all of a sudden you'll be like man am I loose.........

IMO the swaggers aren't so hot. The schumachers Cut Stagger LPs got more grip and last reasonably long.

Like I said, clean 'em and be liberal with the glue and let them sit overnight, I've had descent results with that.

I recently tried the Proline Pin Points, and they work well too, and glue up like the Schumachers. I think it's definitely the tire compound of the JConcepts.

Last edited by BigChris in PA; 03-23-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:39 AM
Tech Regular

I used to run the LP Cut stagger, and the Mini Pin in the rear. A solid ozite combo. I think the Pin Downs last longer than the Mini Pin for sure. I mount the wider textured area to the outside of the buggy. I will say although the Pin Downs last longer, they fall off quick once they wear out. You'll be turning descent laps, then all of a sudden you'll be like man am I loose.........

IMO the swaggers aren't so hot. The schumachers Cut Stagger Lps are better.

Like I said, clean 'em and be liberal with the glue and let them sit overnight, I've had descent results with that.

I recently tried the Pin Points, and they work well too, and glue up like the Schumachers. I think it's definitely the tire compound of the JConcepts.
I also have Pin Points and I agree they glue up solid as a rock. I have yet to run them (can you tell I'm doing tire experimentation?) but others at my track say they have very good wear characteristics.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've found if you've got 100% carpet then any of these work pretty good.
But if the layout has some other surface than carpet (where our track will sometimes make a wall turn or a 180°out of MDF) then the Mini Pins work best.

What are you running?
I run a B6, 17.5 and mod, same esc and motor for both classes, I just turn the esc timing up for mod.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:29 AM
Tech Regular

I've found if you've got 100% carpet then any of these work pretty good.
But if the layout has some other surface than carpet (where our track will sometimes make a wall turn or a 180°out of MDF) then the Mini Pins work best.

What are you running?
I run a B6, 17.5 and mod, same esc and motor for both classes, I just turn the esc timing up for mod.
Our track is mostly carpet with sections of very smooth wood (the actual name is escaping me at the moment) strategically placed to keep things interesting. Popular thought is the original Mini-Pin (or Mini-Pin 1) is the tire of choice for that surface.

I run 17.5 buggy with a laydown 22 3.0. There is no mod buggy at any of the tracks near here that I am aware of.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah the MDF is like a pressed slick smooth wood, same as the peg board stuff except w/o the holes.

But your a Losi guy, I cant talk to you anymore lol