Community
Wiki Posts
Search

XB8 TQ vs EC

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Default XB8 TQ vs EC

Looking at getting a used TQ. I understand the EC parts will fit the TQ. Any body have any thoughts on the TQ?
Old 07-21-2007, 11:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ive been using a TQ for almost 2 years now, and I have yet to break a part.

The thing is an absolute pleasure to own, and with a few modifications you can make it just as good as a EC. I did the steering mod to it, and now it turns just as good as the EC. It would be nice to have the bigger shocks, but it does just fine with the ones it has.

I personally love it, and Im always telling others the same.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

european factorydrivers still use the TQ chassis on
their EC's.....
I put the 38T crowngear up front and what a difference;
much more steering
also with the EC front arms and alu hubs
I use since a while now
4 x 1.3 holes in my TQ shockpistons that's better too
especialy in the rough
Old 07-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Why do they still use their TQ chassis, it there a difference between TQ and EC chassis ?
Old 07-23-2007, 06:30 PM

The EC chassis is more designed for U.S. style of tracks. the motors are put in different possitions and it makes the TQ chassis more suited for the designs used in Europe.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks !
Old 07-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Both the TQ and EC are awsome buggies the EC has bigger bore shocks, a little different front end geometry, softer upper front turnbuckle, and the engine was moved back for better weight balance.

The TQ is a great buggy! I'm sponsored by RCAMERICA XRAY (not trying to brag) and I still haven't decided to get the EC update kit yet, because my TQ is still in great shape and is still a very competitive car. The EC is better, but the TQ is still a great car, although some parts that are different from the R and the EC might become hard to get, but I don't know for sure.
good luck, and if you ever have any questions about the car there are many people on this forum willing to help.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:33 PM

Hey Swaybarz since you are sponsored by Xray maybe you can help me out here. I am looking into getting a Xray and I have been wondering what the difference is between the XB8R and EC as far as I can tell the EC has better shocks and different driveshafts and many more or better aluminum parts. But my main question is if there is any difference in the whole setup of the buggy, they look to have the same design just better parts on the EC. And what do you mean about the XB8R parts being hard to get. Any help is great.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Nitro Syco- I'm not Swaybars obviously but I'm part of the Canadian Xray team. The XB8R and the XB8EC share the same basic design, so 95% of the parts will work with both cars. There have been a few updates since the R came out though, so the XB8EC has taller front and rear shock towers, longer front shocks, slightly longer arms, less steering throw (fixable with a dremel) and the EC has the motor moved back 4mm. Those are the only things that really make a difference in the handling of the R vs. the EC. The only problem is that the XB8R is not currently in production, Xray has also cancelled the T2R due to meet the overhwhelming demand for their high end kits, versus the slower sales of the R kits. I haven't seen any problems getting parts for the XB8R, and they will be especially plentiful now that the XT8 is out and uses the CVD's as well, and the same arms holders.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

The R is basicly the original xb8 it has the standard front outdrives, smaller shocks, and original shock towers I believe (never seen an R in person.) But there is nothing wrong with no updates the original xb8 was and is a great car, just XRAY listened to there drivers' and customers' feedback and made the car better. ex. R to TQ to EC.

About parts for the R, they shouldn't be hard to come by if you have access to A-main hobbies or any other online part store or other Xray dealers.
But I would spend the extra buck and get the EC, it's just a better buggy, but if $$$ is tight like with me, the R is still an awsome buggy. The only mods I would do is the steering mod with a dremel and the extended front outdrives. And if you are looking for rear grip in the R or TQ a hi-downforce wing will do the trick.
Good luck and have fun!!!
Old 07-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Tech Elite

the R has some plain stamped-out alu towers
all blue carbonfiber plates

plastic inserts not metal at the front suspension axles
plastic suspension supportplates
cvd's instead of real driveshafts
plastic chassis supportrods
Old 07-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sorry speedy, but just so no one is confused, the towers on the R aren't stamped. They are machined 7075, but only 3mm thick vs. the 4mm of the EC/TQ. The R towers are actually amazingly strong, my buddies XB8R had them all year and he only managed to bend them at the end of the season on a massive double landing upside down, and he only bent it a few degrees, the buggy still ran fine!
Old 07-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

ok here is tha hole story on a site

http://photos.thinselin.info/v/Modelisme/xb8r/
Old 07-28-2007, 08:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Same here, no broke parts on my TQ w/ 1 1/2 seasons on it. I replaced some arms just because I haven't got the v2 caster inserts. The origanil ones can wrist in the arm.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

I'm itching to get the XB8R as I can't wait for the 808! I think it (the XB8R) has serious value for money Nope, I never owned an Xray before

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.