Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ACADEMY New SB V2 4WD Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 07:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Scyan: All of the tips that Dan mentioned will give you more onpower steering. Take a look at this pic to see where we are running our steering links. Trimming the more forward portion of the bellcrank will give you a much tighter turning radius. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails ACADEMY New SB V2 4WD Buggy-v2-bellcrank-links.jpg  
Old 10-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Any news on what big events are coming up that you will be taking the SB V2 to compete at?

Are there any issues that can arise from using a longer center link?
Old 10-24-2006, 10:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks guys !

I have actually made the mod myself before you mentionned it Dave. I dremeled a bit out of the front gearbox to allow more steering throw and removed the outer sections of the arms. What I'm having a REAL issue now is about the friggin kingpins, the step pins themselves ! I place the buggy in the a-main at every race. But including my v1, this is the 3rd time this year that I've missed the a main race because of a lost step bolt ! I glue them with ca glue and thread them into the hub but they always fallout. Even though I check them regularly ! Is there a trick, or an option for an alloy hub ?

Temps are in check, steering is a no issue.. only step bolts remain !

Thanks guys !

Ohh, btw Dave... Am I right in saying that the driveshafts (the cvd style) from the v1 dont fit the v2.. they seem shorter !!

Also, would the front and the back ones be the same lenght on the v2 ? I see only one lenght being advertised...

thanks !

scy
Old 10-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Cain: I am pretty sure that DAN will be racing the CRCRC Midwest Champs race in JAN. I will be more then likely running the bigger trophy races here in the NorthEast. Glen Bean from OKLAHOMA will be racing in the big race in KANSAS that draws many factory drivers from both AE and LOSI. A longer ackerman bar will increase ackerman but I am not sure if the car really needs more. Something to play with. I will send you some pics of my latest bellcrank mod. E-mail me.

SCYAN: There is no trick to keeping the stepbolts in check. I just use the TAMIYA gooey plastic safe locktight myself and dont have any issues. Hope this helps.

Dave Graboski
RC Car Product Manager
Model Rectifier Corporation
Phone: 732-225-2100 Ext.214

Visit us on the web at www.modelrectifier.com
Old 10-24-2006, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The race Bean will be attending is the Fall Classic at the TQ Pro Shop and raceway Hutchinson, Kansas.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Tech Adept

Dave, 2 things

- would you have a part number for the gooey thing...

- Whats your email, I too would like to get the mods...

Thanks !

Scy
Old 10-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Tech Regular

I have also had problems occasionally with the steering blocks, but nothing too dangerous that I cannot finish a race. I thread them very slowly and make sure there is not too much rubbing between the bolt and the castor block. If it drags, it can unscrew itself. Make sure there is no flashing anywhere. If you have to remove the kingpin, again don't crank down on the plastic just take your time.
When I have lost the kingpin it has been a result of a large crash and the steering block actually pulled apart at the kingpin. I have never had a problem with the kingpin simply dropping out though.

Scyan, how did those setup changes work for you?
Old 10-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Tech Adept

They worked out great ! The buggy (and me... ) made the a main again this weekend. Only to stop in the first lap because of a king pin falling...

I got tons of steering and dont even think I'll need the front oneway !

I will try and be more careful when screwing the pins down from now on !

Cant wait to see how you do with the real competition Dan !!

Scy
Old 10-25-2006, 06:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Scyan: Here is my contact info

Dave Graboski
RC Car Product Manager
Model Rectifier Corporation
Phone: 732-225-2100 Ext.214
[email protected]

Visit us on the web at www.modelrectifier.com
Old 10-25-2006, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The wheeler looks really interesting. I haven't seen one in person yet but I am looking forward to. I do have a question though. It looks like to me from the pictures that the wheelbase is a little smaller then other 4wds. But again I'm just going off pictures I've seen. Can anyone tell me how it compares to other cars on the market in that area?
Old 10-25-2006, 07:02 AM
Tech Adept

The wheelbase is longer than a xx4, kyosho zx5 and much longer than the first generation of sb sport or pro buggies.

If by wheeler you're talking about the academy v2.

I have compared them first hand last weekend actually. Some people were contemplating my buggies stability over the rough stuff. The fact that the chassis is flexible and long really helps. Of course, damping and other stuff helps as well !

Hope that answers your questions !

Next race weekend I'll compare it to the xxx4 and the bj4 worlds and let you know. we have a yokomo coming as well.

Scy
Old 10-25-2006, 07:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Hey everyone!

Can someone post a basic med to high traction setup for the SBV2? Going to have limited time on mine before I head to Kansas and need a basic starting point.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Glen
Old 10-25-2006, 09:01 AM
Tech Legend

If your kingpins are just dropping out, one thing you could try that I have used if you don't want to go with a gluing style solution is taking some kind of cotton and threading that in when you put the kingepin in, especially if doing this to a new part. I have had great luck with doing this on the SB V1, didn't have a need on the V2. Only a full rip out of the stopped me dead in my tracks.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:07 AM
Tech Adept

Cain, sorry, my first language is french... What do you mean by cotton ? Do you mean the textile or just something to kinda fill the hole ?

Thanks !

Scy
Old 10-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Tech Legend

Not a problem. I mean the cotton balls that are sold for various purposes. Basically a ball of white cotton. take some strands from this, wrap it around the threaded part of the nut, and thread that into place. It will give alittle more bite to the area, at least what I have found.

This is what I have done especially on a worn out hole as a temporary holder. If I put in a little shoe goo or the equivalent, it really bonded.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.