Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR to 4 cell....

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 11:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks for bringing some sanity back into this discussion Tim.
To me it seemed that someone was trying to do an end run around the elect on-raod committee and force a vote by the Excom before all the info was in.
Fred.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:46 AM
Tech Champion

Keep the racing costs down........ I find being competitive in EP racing vs GP racing, GP racing is actually cheaper than electric. I waste my money regularly for GP and EP, so I know which one is more "gold digger" than the other.

Btw, on road rubber tires are ridiculously waste of money ...... switch to foams, no need gluing, no inserts, and more stable to steer.

Here the list of which type of racing is the most expensive to maintain according to me :

1/8 Off Road ( most expensive )
1/8 On Road
1/10 electric touring
1/10 gas touring ( least expensive ).
Old 11-30-2006, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

TimPotter--Flipped out---YES!! When were the members going to find out, when its too late!!!! Atleast this way we know whats being discussed by the committies or will be discussed!

Someone had mentioned that money will be saved by not wearing out tires with 4 cells, but then the same people say that the 4 cell will be just as fast... So no saving there..

Roar should of put a cap on cells, now its too late to do that.. Everyone is blowing winds because they are running 6-7 turn motors, with 2400's you wouldnt run them cause you wouldnt make run time. It should of started there, not now to go down to 4 cells..

Brushless????? brushless just started appearing and now we have to make changes before it is even perfected? What if I dont want to run brushless?

Where is norrca?
Old 11-30-2006, 11:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by asw7576
Keep the racing costs down........ I find being competitive in EP racing vs GP racing, GP racing is actually cheaper than electric. I waste my money regularly for GP and EP, so I know which one is more "gold digger" than the other.

Btw, on road rubber tires are ridiculously waste of money ...... switch to foams, no need gluing, no inserts, and more stable to steer.

Here the list of which type of racing is the most expensive to maintain according to me :

1/8 Off Road ( most expensive )
1/8 On Road
1/10 electric touring
1/10 gas touring ( least expensive ).

I don't know how you figure 1/8-off road is the most expensive, I feel it's one of the cheaper. I've gone an entire race season (granted 6 races) without breaking a part...same engine.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dal bains
TimPotter--Flipped out---YES!! When were the members going to find out, when its too late!!!! Atleast this way we know whats being discussed by the committies or will be discussed!

Someone had mentioned that money will be saved by not wearing out tires with 4 cells, but then the same people say that the 4 cell will be just as fast... So no saving there..

Roar should of put a cap on cells, now its too late to do that.. Everyone is blowing winds because they are running 6-7 turn motors, with 2400's you wouldnt run them cause you wouldnt make run time. It should of started there, not now to go down to 4 cells..

Brushless????? brushless just started appearing and now we have to make changes before it is even perfected? What if I dont want to run brushless?

Where is norrca?
The industry makes the batteries for cordless tools. So as long as the cordless tool industry demands higher capacity batteries for their tools, the battery companies will continue to improve the cells and will stop making the lower capacity cells, as there is NO market for them. RC is extremely small compared to the tool manufacturers. We will never be able to dictate to them to continue to only make 1700scr cells that so many people around here seem to want.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Umm yeah Flipped out, and yes I would have too. my point is... that this discussion ( as far as the OnRC is concerned) is just starting...

It took 3 years... yes 3 YEARS to get a proposal passed that was a slam dunk... the GBS....

Originally Posted by dal bains

Where is norrca?
Old 11-30-2006, 12:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Advil
Actually Adrian, it is you that has no clue. I don't care about LIPO as I don't run them. I care about the guys that do because it is easy for them to use. They bring one charger, some tools, some parts, their car, and a new set of tires. They run competitvely with us. (We make them add lead to their cars to make weight.) How simple is that? No lathes for com cutting (they run brushless), no need for dischargers and balancers. They only have to bring two packs to run. It is very simple for them. And it is BRINGING THEM TO THE TRACK!
I think everybody should read this again, or make sure they saw it at least once. This is a good thing for racing and for racers, and making moves to take it away is bad. People are finding things that make racing easier to maintain and more fun. Why, why, why would anybody try to stifle that?
Old 11-30-2006, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I think everybody should read this again, or make sure they saw it at least once. This is a good thing for racing and for racers, and making moves to take it away is bad. People are finding things that make racing easier to maintain and more fun. Why, why, why would anybody try to stifle that?
Lipo's would be fine, that alone would bring down the cost of racing. 2 to 4 packs a year, I'm in!
4 cell would not help in bringing down the biggest cost of racing.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

At least until the next latest greates batch of LiPo come out and obsolete your current batteries.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

This is probably a different discussion from the 4 cell debate, but if ROAR really wants to attract newbies to rc car racing and keep novices interested, it is clear the future is some sort of safe lipo (maybe in a few years) and brushless.

Talking to people thinking about getting into RC, the two most intimidating things to them are:

1) rebuilding/tuning a motor, cutting comms, putting new brushes on
2) building side by side battery packs. (How many current carbon plate chassis's nicely fit a stick pack)

Most of us take the above two for granted, but I know friends of mine who might be interested in rc car racing are immediately turned off when they have to do the above two.

I just thought I'd bring it up since I think ROAR would be wasting everyone's time (and R&D effort) with a 4 cell TC era if the future is brushless/lipo.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

DerekB--gotcha..
Old 11-30-2006, 12:50 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Jack Smash
At least until the next latest greates batch of LiPo come out and obsolete your current batteries.
Going 2 years strong on the Kokam cells. What batteries were you using 2 years ago?
Old 11-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Going 2 years strong on the Kokam cells. What batteries were you using 2 years ago?
Once Lipo goes mainstream , what amkes you think it is going to be any different than the other battery technologies where we saw constant improvements by the cell manufacturers?
Old 11-30-2006, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Lipo companies aren't in this to make money. They are in it to help out every good little boy and girl who races. Didn't you know?
Old 11-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Jack Smash
Once Lipo goes mainstream , what amkes you think it is going to be any different than the other battery technologies where we saw constant improvements by the cell manufacturers?
The "technology will improve" argument is lame, because that will always be the case no matter what you use. Please, don't be that guy. Using that logic, we could still be using SCRs. At some point, you have to move on. It's a stall tactic that borders on retarded when you think through it, and really doesn't reflect well on the people that use it in a discussion.

I'm not saying that LiPo should replace NiMH entirely, but it should at least be allowed to coexists so that people have a choice. It's VERY CLEARLY a better option for some people in its current form, and taking that away is bad. It drastically reduces the barrier to entry in R/C, and requires very minimal equipment. Any decision by the idiots at ROAR that stifles that kind of progress needs to be scrutinized very closely, because it's wrong.

Condemning people to the rituals of NiMH maintenance, especially newcomers is evil. Don't take something positive away from the hobbdy to further your ridiculous agenda, or prove that you know what's right for the hobby in spite of what the people want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.