Community
Wiki Posts
Search

beginner needing advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Default beginner needing advice

Hey so I'm interested in getting an RC truck. I have never owned nor do i know any technical information about rc cars. I want a nitro truch and have been lookin at Team Losi's XXX-NT II or the HPI firestorm. I need the pros and cons and what you guys think because your more educated in me. I am not looking to race at the time but i am interested in going to my local track and having some fun. What do you think?
Old 02-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You said you are not looking to race, but may go to the race track for some fun, which in turn may lead to racing right? Because of this possibility, talk to the guys at the track and ask them. What do they run? The XXX-NT is a great stadium truck, as is the Associated GT2. I know little about the Firestorm, but I do know that it has a gear diff rather than a ball diff. A gear diff will be easier to keep maintained. HPI is not known for race vehicles anymore, but many do enjoy their products. Have the guys at your LHS or track show you the parts, how its built and maintained. There is quite a bit to learn in our little hobby, but most of all have fun, weather thats "bashing" (screwing around wherever you can), or racing. My personal opinion is that if you try to race something, you will be immersed in the sport enough to learn quite quickly what you need and want to know. Most of the "bashers" that I know, do not know how to properly maintain their vehicles, however, they wish to keep it that way and just drive it and break it because to them, that is half the fun. (Jumping over a house for instance can be fun, but it will surely break something)
Old 02-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i don't know about the hpi truck but the losi xxxnt is a good beginner truck i race an adam drake 2 and i am very happy with it i started with a xtm nitro xcellerator and it was ok parts were only available online i then bought a used rc10gt and that was a very durable truck and parts were very easy to get i moved up to a adam drake one and with this truck i was faster on the track i have stuck with the losi line of cars ever since then make sure you get something that parts are easy to get that is the main thing no matter what truck or car you get you will break something on it in the beggining when learning how to drive they all break even 1/8th scale cars break
Old 02-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Great, I am leaning towards the xxx-nt so I'm glad to hear some feedback like that. I understand breaking something is inevitable and i think that is half the fun. I am going to enjoy working on it and learning at the same time. I figured I would start with a beginner RTR like the losi and if i like this hobby enough i can upgrade. I am probably going to go down to Hobbytown tomorrow and pick up with xxx-nt. I'm super excited.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

I HIGHLY recommend going through this thread if you purchase the XXX-NT CLICK HERE! (the standard NT and AD2 are only slightly different, most advice pertains to both) Ask away in that forum as you will get better advice.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Tech Rookie

ok so after some more research I'm thinking of getting the Hpi. I seriously cant make up my mind. the HPI firestorm is cheaper and I am a beginner so I really dont need something that crazy. Well what do you think?
Old 02-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Tech Elite

I come from a race standpoint, so my 2 choices would be limited to the Losi XXX-NT or the Associated GT2. I do think the XXX-NT comes with the best radio and electronics compared to the HPI and Associated RTRs.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:53 AM
Tech Adept

If you get the losi rtr you will also want to get the rear aluminum pivot block. Also the transmission I would change the slipper gear to the aluminum, middle rtr gear is black the regular gear is a browinish color. Also the outdrive gear they have it in white or they have it in aluminum. Either of those will work. Lunsford ti turnbuckles are pretty much a must for any brand of rtr.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm just getting into nitro now and owned electric like 20 years ago. (so I know some of the terminology and maintenance required) All I can say is that you will be overwhelmed with information that you need to learn about care and maintenance with the nitro. Also, almost every hobby shop out there sells Losi, Associated, and Traxxas so that is where I would look if I were you. Also, whatever your budget is, figure on doubling it because you will be spending more than you thought. The small things really add up quick and you'll find yourself needing all sorts of wrenches and screw drivers. (even the little rubber servo mounts and screws cost $$ )
Old 02-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Tech Rookie

ok well i just went to my local hobbytown Usa and bought the team losi xxx-nt. All in all it cost me $423 including gas,batteries,7.2volt w/ charger and gas can + tax . I saved a grip and i got $20 in rewards to use next time. I have set it up and I'm breaking it in. I just ran my first tank at idle and next im going to run it at 1/4 throttle for a tank. This baby is bad a$$! Now im concerned with parts and tools i need to upgrade and repair when i break something. Anyone know of a good cheap tool kit?
Old 02-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Never skimp on the tools. A good tool will last years. I highly recommend the MIP thorp drivers, Hudy, and Losi drivers. I do not recommend Integy or Dynamite tools from my own experience. Each driver will cost approx $15. I believe you need 4 total for the XXX-NT (ill look for the sizes when I can access my pit bag.)

I tried to go cheap on tools, it only frustrated me with rounded and stripped screws.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Tech Rookie

ok then i will be buying better tools. thanks for the advice. In the operation manual it gives the tools i should get. What kind of upgrades should i be thinking of for the future?
Old 02-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Possibly an aluminum rear pivot block. The XXX-NT is race material as it is.

Aluminum rear pivot block link

Other than that, just go have fun for now and learn how to maintain it. I do highly recommend trying to race, just because you should be surrounded other enthusiasts who can show you how to work on your vehicle rather than us trying to help you out over a forum. It will also teach you how to drive and not hit that ever damning curb
Old 02-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Ooo I like the pivot blocks! I will get those with next months rc allowance. =] thanks for the advice, and i agree, I think the best way to learn is to just get out there and experience it first hand on the track. Luckily i have reputable dirt track only a couple miles from my house.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Tech Initiate

LOSI!!!! all the way best handling and built stadium truck there is. You will be very happy with it @ the track, that is what it IS built for and does very very well at. Good Luck and Enjoy.