Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it the engine or is it the clutch??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 05:28 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks Tony!

I'll pull the diff tonight and check it out. Would you suggest the M2C clutch as well tho? It's not to bad price wise and seems easier to work on then the 3 shoes or just get alum. for the stock setup? Just asking for a second opinion...
Thank you also NitroMan
Old 07-15-2010, 05:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DPowers
Ur tune is off when it gets warm it leans out go back to factory settings and start back over and 1.0 springs will help just as mentioned before. give that a try and let us now how it goes.
I replaced the clutch springs last night however I won't be back out to the track until next tuesday but I will let you guys know how it all works out.
I did notice that there was a fine line around the bell closest to the flywheel that was discolored but outside of that it looked normal everywhere else, maybe that was from some slag that was caught between the shoe and the bell in that location??

Again, not an expert but because the motor runs great on bottom(still snappy just not as much when its put on the track for the first couple of laps), mid, and top I'm not sure my tune is off on both top and bottom, maybe a little on the bottom so I will adjust it an hour on the rich side and see how that goes. If after a few small adjustments it has not been corrected then I will go back to factory settings and start over.

One more question with the aluminum clutch shoes does everyone typically use the little washers that go on the pins prior to the shoes going on??

Again, thanks everyone for the help!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

lol, the AE clutch is a great 3 shoe clutch and I used to love it, but it won't hold a candle to the 4 shoe M2C, especially if you're concerned about $$$. 3 AE aluminum shoes would cost me 30 bucks at the LHS and last one approximately gallon, where 4 M2C shoes will last 4 gallons at 25 bucks, it's a no-brainer if you ask me. The 3 shoe always left slag on my CB, which had to be dremmeled off, not so with the M2C.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

the washers prevent the shoes from hanging up on the flywheel. AE has a teflon ring that fits between the aluminum shoes and flywheel, the M2C have a spacer machined into each shoe to accomplish the same thing.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Originally Posted by Do-Over
Uh.... After reading the post I'm curious. I have an RTR RC8T with the stock .28 motor. I'm noticing my top end really isn't where it needs to be. (not that this motor will be great) I have the stock shoes and springs and the engine seems to rev well but doesn't "pull" on top. Well I had noticed that the bell has heat discoloration. I didn't know if it should or not. (still new) From what I'm hearing I'm assuming my clutch is just slipping. If this is the case what spring/shoe setup should I use? Also, I'm saving for a B5 now. Is there a setup I could use for both?? If not what should I get for when my B5 comes? I'm not too worried about this motor... just want it to last till my B5 gets here hopefully!

On a side note: I was wondering what that weird sound I kept hearing was.... Sounded just like you said... vibrating metal.....

Cheap parts that work well please. Work is slow and I'm having enough bad luck as it is with these things!
I highly recommend the Dynamite Max Life shoes with 1.0 springs. They last way longer than aluminum shoes. I'm going on my 3rd gallon with them and there is still plenty of wear left on them. I would run them in your B5.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks again Nitro... and Quad...

By the way quad... did you get that paragraph long PM I sent you back?

I swear I really think I'm just unlucky... None of my friends are having half the problems I am....

Depending on what the hobby shop has I might go with the M2C setup as I hear good things about it. But if I'm pressed for time I might just get the dynamites... Really depends on the situation I'm in I don't have time to get either in before sunday's race so I don't know what I'll do yet. Will probably depend on what I can find near New Vienna on Sunday.

Any good shops around there Quad? I'm guessing the Fasstrax guy will be up there in Jeffersonville with you this weekend....
Old 07-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Originally Posted by Do-Over
Thanks again Nitro... and Quad...

By the way quad... did you get that paragraph long PM I sent you back?

I swear I really think I'm just unlucky... None of my friends are having half the problems I am....

Depending on what the hobby shop has I might go with the M2C setup as I hear good things about it. But if I'm pressed for time I might just get the dynamites... Really depends on the situation I'm in I don't have time to get either in before sunday's race so I don't know what I'll do yet. Will probably depend on what I can find near New Vienna on Sunday.

Any good shops around there Quad? I'm guessing the Fasstrax guy will be up there in Jeffersonville with you this weekend....
Yep fastraxx will be up at THE FACTORY saturday. I have a big order coming in for the ohio state race in columbus.. But about your clutch. If you shim it right and get good bearings in it when you put the Dyna max life shoes in it you shouldnt have any problems with it. They are good shoes. Fastraxx is about the only good shop for "racing" to help out racing guys. Hobbytown doesnt stock the dyna max life shoes usually.