Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So why not make 180mm conversions for 200mm cars and just run one class, but with everybody participating? The idea of buying another car to participate does not sit well with the racers, and should be remedied with affordable conversions...
Old 10-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Tech Champion

That would be up to the individual manufacturers or maybe some ambitious machinist would like to tackle the task of making conversion kits. I'm just pointing out what attracts most people to the class and what tends to work more universally. It varies from region to region as some places are much more likely to accept the converted pan cars and F103s than other places are. And that is fine for now...but if we ever want a true F1 class to endure the test of time we need manufacturers and rules makers to all get on the same page and stop shooting ourselves in the foot.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
So why not make 180mm conversions for 200mm cars and just run one class, but with everybody participating? The idea of buying another car to participate does not sit well with the racers, and should be remedied with affordable conversions...
Just buy the F104 frontend and f104 tires. Done. Converted. Did that to one of my 109s. Frontend cost under $10. Add wheels and bearings and there you go.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
That would be up to the individual manufacturers or maybe some ambitious machinist would like to tackle the task of making conversion kits. I'm just pointing out what attracts most people to the class and what tends to work more universally. It varies from region to region as some places are much more likely to accept the converted pan cars and F103s than other places are. And that is fine for now...but if we ever want a true F1 class to endure the test of time we need manufacturers and rules makers to all get on the same page and stop shooting ourselves in the foot.
Yes in every way! Start with two classes. Silvercan and pick a bl system maybe 21.5 as standards and pass the word around. When the builders see what is going on then they will see $ signs in their future. One thing that will happen will be the pro10 guys wanting to race, but not everywhere. They like "BIG" tracks so they can use big motors. I would not be against it but that is another topic. So who want's to be on the commitee to get this rolling? Maybe 5 people from around the country and Canada? It's time to think about 2012 before the earth is destroyed like they say on the history channel.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Tech Champion

I am talking about a Corally F1. I can make a rear adapter ala F103gt with hexes, and cut new front arms short to make it legal, but it will probably be rejected because a major manufacturer did not come out with it !
Old 10-19-2011, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am talking about a Corally F1. I can make a rear adapter ala F103gt with hexes, and cut new front arms short to make it legal, but it will probably be rejected because a major manufacturer did not come out with it !
Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Tech Champion

In my races we encouraged racers to innovate and scratch build their own parts if they so desired. I had the older Corally car and somehow had found a way to fit the F103 rear axle on it and somehow got the F103 front wheels on it too...can't say I remember how I pulled that one off though...LOL

Heck look at the guys who are making their own link type upper suspension arms for the F104 to replace that flimsy piece of plastic...I'm planning on doing that myself in my next F1 build.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

If F1 racers were forced to switch chassis it was from 200mm down, not the other way around. 180mm cars came after the 200mm f103's , so you can't come with that argument ! If the 200mm class died out it's because the manufacturers started making 180mm cars out of the scale factor excuse, but we know it's really because of their bottomline !
You somehow seem to be obsessed with how much money Tamiya makes and Tamiyas small influence on the market. What did Shunsaku Tamiya do to you? If you want to keep on trying to have a dig at Tamiya at least get it right.

F1s died out years ago, the late 90s in fact, because if you weren't running a Corally F1 you weren't competitive, and the price of the Corally F1 was more expensive than high end touring cars at the time. F1s were only kept alive for a few more years thanks to Tamiya and their TCS championships. What killed F1s in the TCS was Tamiya introducing the F201 in 2001, and restricting their F1 races to F201s which even though with 4wd and independent suspension weren't as fast as the F103 cars and were harder to race with their limited tyre choice.

While F1s have always been popular in Japan and they still run 200mm, they have had a recent resurgence elsewhere. In most places including the US this is down to Tamiya releasing the F104, here in the UK it is down to the 3Racing F109 bringing a cheap car to the market riding on the awareness of F1 thanks to Tamiyas marketing.

As for restricting cars to 180mm, well that's down to an individual clubs decision, there's no national or international rule preventing you from running one size or the other. Here in the UK we run two classes, 180mm and 200mm wide. Both of these are "up to", so you can run an F104 in the 200mm class if you want to, and you can run whatever F1 car you want as long as it runs F1 specific wheels. 200mm is by far the most popular here in the UK, although changes to the rules for next year might encourage more racers to choose 180mm.

The only places outside individual clubs that restrict cars to 180mm is the UF1 series, and the TamiyaUSA TCS. Everywhere else, including the Tamiya Eurocup, allow 200mm cars.

I get the impression you seem to be under the illusion that the manufacturers control the rules, where the reality is that the racers create the rules and manufacturers make cars to fit them. For example here in the UK the BRCA have created the rules we run to, and next weekend at the AGM the racers will decide what changes they want to make to the rules and each rule will be voted on. Any rules we are unhappy about we can propose changes and the drivers will vote on them. One rule that everyone agrees on is that the front suspension pick up points must be mounted inside the body, so you aren't going to get a pan car legal in the UK unless you fit a Tamiya, 3Racing, Tech Racing or other F1 front end on it.

The current worldwide touring car rules came about thanks to the BRCA committee creating a set of rules in 1998, these rules being voted on by BRCA members, then the BRCA proposing these rules to EFRA and IFMAR. If the same procedure is used for F1 rules, once standard rules are used worldwide then the likes of Corally will end up building cars to the rules instead of parts bin specials.

If you want to run a Corally and can persuade someone to let you run a standard Corally F1 then what is to stop someone turning up with a CRC Gen-X 10Pro with an f1 shell on it, it's just as legal as the Corally. That's why no one wants to allow the Corally.

No one anywhere would be upset if you turned up with a Corally F1 with an F103 or F104 front end and F1 size wheels all round, after all no one has a problem with the Exotek cars and they basically are pan cars designed around the F1 front end and rear axle. You really would need to fit an f1 front end on though, no one wants to see the pan car short arms mounted on chassis extensions as it looks ridiculous on an F1.

There would even be a market for a conversion kit considering how many narrow pan cars there must be sitting on shelves unused, although if you want to continue being negative about it because you seem to have some sort of beef about 'major manufacturers' I guess you wouldn't be selling the conversions.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Tech Champion

No need to Rant, and hate Corally ok !!! Hopefully they will come with a conversion or I will have to make my own ! Calm down buddy !!!
Old 10-19-2011, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Pictures from Tamiya Asia Cup 2011 Finals! Let's play F1!

Starting Grid of A-Main. 5 past champions (who have been to Japan) are in the lineup.

Go go go...

Midfield...

Photo credit: Tamiya Stargek

The Skull...

Photo credit: Tan Clarence

Photo credit: Tamiya Stargek

Old 10-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Tech Champion

Nice lineup ! No FGX running ? The only car I might consider purchasing: fully independent suspension, and 2WD !! REAL F1 , no pan car rear box !!!
Old 10-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

as the OP said, pics from Tamiya Asian cup finals...
Old 10-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Tech Champion

FGX isn't out yet
Old 10-19-2011, 10:56 PM
Tech Champion

The fgx will make all pan cars rears retire !!! It will be fun to see you guys switch ...again....lol...
Old 10-19-2011, 10:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

The fgx will make all pan cars rears retire !!! It will be fun to see you guys switch ...again....lol...

Maybe out doors it could be better but on carpet the solid rear axle proves to be very tough to beat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.