Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Recommendation on electric KIT buggy/truck? >

Recommendation on electric KIT buggy/truck?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendation on electric KIT buggy/truck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 07:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Recommendation on electric KIT buggy/truck?

I'm thinking about getting an electric 1:10 buggy or truck but I'm not sure what or where to buy it. I like to build so it must be a KIT and I prefer quality!

I've been thinking about either Associated t4 or Team Losi xxxt. Which one is best or are there other cars that I should consider?

Where's the best internet place to buy it? (I live in Norway)
I see that Tower Hobbies has the T4:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFAB6&P=0

I guess I also need extra things as battery pack, speed control, motor , gear and servos for the car (I will buy a radio later). Any recommendations for that as well? Anything else that I should buy at the same time?

Regards,
Marius
Old 04-10-2006, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

Well, Team Associated and Team Losi do make some high quality items. I prefer Losi, but there are people I work with that prefer Associated. It's all in personal preferance, and because you're just getting into the hobby, I think I'll just provide you with facts rather than bash you with opinions that might create a bias before you get the straight scoop.

Alright, well the Associated T4 and B4 are race quality vehicles, and the FT vehicles are some of the best you can get for racing. They have titanium turnbuckles, CVD's, carbon fiber battery straps, threaded aluminum shocks, and everything else you need to get around a racetrack. They seem to have a bit of stiction in the suspension when compared to the Losi's though.

The Losi's are also good. They have some of the plushiest suspensions around. I prefer the Losi's for this reason. The XXX and the XXX-T are very good racers, and the MF2 is also a very competative truck. I have the MF1, which I prefer for my rack becasue it throws more weight around in the rear for improved cornering. Losi's don't come with CVD's though, and their CG is generally a bit higher than the AE's.

My XXX-T MFE is pretty cool, and it's got a bunch of cool performance parts. Some things are a must if you want to finish races, like aluminum bulkheads and similar strength improving parts. www.TeamPlatinumRacing.com/XXXT.html.

As far asa electronics, Futaba makes some high quality radio systems, while Novak puts out great electronics. Another favorite radio among racers would be the Airtronics M8 and M11 radio systems. I like the Novak GT7 ESC because it has 7 profiles with one programmable one, and it's a lot cheaper than the GTX. If you want a good servo for a great value, look into Hitec metal gear units. They have some impressive specs for their price range, and are similar in build quality to their Futaba counterparts. Some nice matched GP cells would make a great battery, and you can get them from various RC Tech sponsors (Check the banner ads). Good charger options would be the Duratrax ICE or the MRC SuperBrain 977.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Old 04-12-2006, 02:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks!

I think I'll go for Team Losi XXX-T as a summer gift to my self!

Do you know a reliable and good webshop that sells it?

What extra equipment should I buy at the same time? You mentioned a couple of "musts" like aluminum bulkheads and similar strength improving parts.

Does the KIT come with a motor? If not, which specific one do I need?

And which spesific battery pack!?

Its too much to choose from!
Old 04-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Tech Regular

if you get the kit you will need batteries..6cell...motor(mod. or stock depending on which class your wanting to run) a servo...esc...and radio equiptment
Old 04-14-2006, 03:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Get the new brushless one!!!!!
Old 04-16-2006, 01:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by _marius
Thanks!

I think I'll go for Team Losi XXX-T as a summer gift to my self!

Do you know a reliable and good webshop that sells it?

What extra equipment should I buy at the same time? You mentioned a couple of "musts" like aluminum bulkheads and similar strength improving parts.

Does the KIT come with a motor? If not, which specific one do I need?

And which spesific battery pack!?

Its too much to choose from!
I agree with alot of people on this board to buy from your LHS(local hobbyshop) if you can. If you dont have one, maybe they are overpriced, or if they dont carry what your looking for, than horizon hobby sells the losi kit. They just released a brushless rtr too. it look like a good value... also you can pick up a used xxxt on on ebay, i just did for $150bucks shipped, if its your first r/c truck I think its more fun to build one from a kit. Building from a kit allows you to get to know how the truck is put together, and WHEN you do break something, you will understand what you need to do to fix it. Tower hobbies has good deals on electronics especially with their monthly specials they run, and no taxes! Losipartshouse has a huge assortment of spare parts and their prices are reasonable.

As far as what else is needed, there are many opinions on escs, batteries, and chargers. I went with a novak gtb esc, some ib3800 packs, one team orion lipo, and a greatplanes triton charger. For a controller, I got a spektrum dx3 and it also comes with a 2nd free receiver which is a great if you are going to be running more than one car. If your serious about r/c's than do yourself a favor use this sight as a valuable resource to learn what you need to get into this very addictive hobby. The search button is very helpful, and has been an indispensible resource for me these last few weeks.