Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Which esc to choose!! >

Which esc to choose!!

Which esc to choose!!

Old 12-21-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Master

@mikky32
sounds like it's all about programming and correct gearing because most guys moved to GM because of lack of balance between top and low end ,you can have one or the other...
I use v198 with 45 boost no turbo function ...
I do agree with most of your comments I love my Tekin and can't wait for new software
Old 12-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by yokemad
@mikky32
sounds like it's all about programming and correct gearing because most guys moved to GM because of lack of balance between top and low end ,you can have one or the other...
I use v198 with 45 boost no turbo function ...
I do agree with most of your comments I love my Tekin and can't wait for new software
I love my Tekin also.
Most of the GM drivers that switched to Tekin are happy.
The only thing that find some drivers a problem is finding the right setup.
Most of them still think that a lot of Boost will make them faster with the lowest Turbo delay there is.

The GM is fast but finding a good setup is harder than with the Tekin.
This is what a lot of drivers scares away. It also makes the speedo for some drivers not faster but slower because they don't now what they do.
Whit Tekin it's the same but it's easier and you get help from every body that has a Tekin.

For me is it Tekin all the way.
Updates are free and the Service is the best. Tekin is nr 1 in that!

I also can't wait till it's there.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Tech Regular

what are the advantages and disadvantages of the Speed Passion 2.0 GT? it seems to come as a complete setup with fan, capacitors, even setup box...
Old 12-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bluephi1914
I second that....

I think that any of the new Speedos will make you faster. I upgraded to the new KO Propo and raced some guys from last season that chose to keep their old speedos and they couldnt compete. are driving skills were the same and they just couldnt keep up. Straight away speed, cornering speed, etc.

The new speedos make 21.5 seem like 17.5 and 17.5 seem like 13.5.

I prefer KO Propo because it lets you manipulate its profiles... rather than just give you 7 or 8 profiles and no further options. KO Propo allows you to manipulate every aspect of the throttle curve. Including drag brake, brake strength and timing.

There are other ESC's that do this im sure, but I like the KO best... I would put the KO up against any other speedo out there right now.
Actually, at our track I run the Tekin and consistently beat the KO BMC driver and his name is on the driver's championship perpetual trophy twice compared to mine which is only once (this year).

I think success with the Tekin hinges heavily on setting it up correctly. Once you start to understand how this can be achieved, the Tekin is very good. I raced in 21.5 and have not found anyone who can touch me (people are running Tekin, LRP and KO speedies). We even had a guy who showed up a few times and run a 6.5 turn motor in a few races and I beat him as well (and he was not a beginner).
Old 12-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I use the tekin pro and it's great!
Old 12-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I have great success with this one. The ceramic gets really hot though but, I'm am faster than most in 17.5 using Tekin's.
It's all about driving when it comes down to it.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Wink

Originally Posted by gashuffer
I have great success with this one. The ceramic gets really hot though but, I'm am faster than most in 17.5 using Tekin's.
that right there is some funny stuff,

what I find amazingly funny, is if you go to the black diamond thread, you will find the same guy(s) posting there saying, ITS not THE ESC, ITS SETUP AND DRIVING, but every chance they get they state how much faster and better the tekin is.

even on this thread you can read, 'the GM is hard to setup' along with "once you figure out setup on the tekin"

I can't help but laugh.

like i stated before, who was running 4th and 5th and is now winning with just a change in the ESC or ESC setting?
Old 12-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
Actually, at our track I run the Tekin and consistently beat the KO BMC driver and his name is on the driver's championship perpetual trophy twice compared to mine which is only once (this year).

I think success with the Tekin hinges heavily on setting it up correctly. Once you start to understand how this can be achieved, the Tekin is very good. I raced in 21.5 and have not found anyone who can touch me (people are running Tekin, LRP and KO speedies). We even had a guy who showed up a few times and run a 6.5 turn motor in a few races and I beat him as well (and he was not a beginner).

YES... The tekin is good also, but your right setting it up is the key. a few guys use it at nexus and they love it. especially when they upgraded to the new software that recently came out.

Where do you race NizNai ???
Old 12-22-2009, 01:37 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gashuffer
LOL, where do you get software upgrades for it? And your turbo won't cut in unless you clean the contacts between every heat...
Old 12-22-2009, 01:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by skypilot
that right there is some funny stuff,

what I find amazingly funny, is if you go to the black diamond thread, you will find the same guy(s) posting there saying, ITS not THE ESC, ITS SETUP AND DRIVING, but every chance they get they state how much faster and better the tekin is.

even on this thread you can read, 'the GM is hard to setup' along with "once you figure out setup on the tekin"

I can't help but laugh.

like i stated before, who was running 4th and 5th and is now winning with just a change in the ESC or ESC setting?

That is not necessarily the full picture. I was leading the field when we were running black can Tamiya motors as well. The change over to brushless came half way through the season and everybody went their own way. The field is not level anymore and I think it's due to the various motors, escs used and driver ability to set up their car.

One of my fellow drivers constantly tells me how his car is faster not realising that the setup of his speedy is better on a longer track whereas on ours it just doesn't work. That's why I can beat him. His speedy only allows a choice between various profiles, whereas mine allows me to fine tune a basic profile to my personal taste/needs/skill etc. That way I can tune my speedy to be faster in the infield and I don't have to worry about the straight lines becasue my esc pulls harder in the most twisty bit of the track and I make up more time there than they can on the straight lines. Of course I can get faster still (my motor comes off the track at a low 70 deg) C so I have some way to go in gearing alone (not to mention the adjustments allowed in the ESC) before it gets hot but I think on our track that is at least useless if not down right counterproductive. We'll see next season.

I am sure at the moment you can be competitive with any of the top electronics on the market, which is why my initial advice to the OP was to try one speedy form each camp (software-upgradeable vs non-upgradeable) and decide on personal taste. It is important though that both options are tested if a valid decision is to be made. Personally I feel the software-upgradeable ESC has a brighter future in top end racing whereas the hardwired escs will still sell in numbers for the larger public/hobbyist. Of course there is always the possibility of a dedicated non-upgradeable ESC for a certain class (see the stock-dedicated offer on the market) to be highly competitive.

Last edited by niznai; 12-22-2009 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

even with the tamiya motors, the playing was never level, heck, especially with tamiya motors.

I have a tekin rs pro, most drivers at my track have a tekin rs pro, i can run a normal 24-26 total timing with no boost or turbo geared at a 3.7 and i am faster then the rest of them with various timing, gearing, and turbo. I have the same results using a SP lpf esc.

my point is, we all have our own individual stories, and I am not sold, or convinced that anyone that wasn't already at the top of thier game suddenly jumped two or three spots with a simple esc change.

sure its one of the those must haves now. and i'm sure it helps, but if everyone has one, does it matter in the long run.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default ESC

I own both the RS Pro and the standard RS. I absolutly love them both. They are by far the best esc's Ive ever run. I run the Pro on the rug and the RS offroad. They are smooth and dependable. In my T/C I use the Tekin Redline 17.5 motor and it is ballistic. Offroad SCT I use a Trinity based 17.5 that has been masaged by Brad Johnson from Team Corally and sold as Hurricane Boost motors. It is very fast. The factory support you would recieve from Tekin if you puchased one is far more supperior than anything else you will find outhere. I recomend the Tekin RS series ESC's. You will not be dissapointed.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by skypilot
even with the tamiya motors, the playing was never level, heck, especially with tamiya motors.

I have a tekin rs pro, most drivers at my track have a tekin rs pro, i can run a normal 24-26 total timing with no boost or turbo geared at a 3.7 and i am faster then the rest of them with various timing, gearing, and turbo. I have the same results using a SP lpf esc.

my point is, we all have our own individual stories, and I am not sold, or convinced that anyone that wasn't already at the top of thier game suddenly jumped two or three spots with a simple esc change.

sure its one of the those must haves now. and i'm sure it helps, but if everyone has one, does it matter in the long run.
I know the debate will rage on, but I don't think the motors in this silvercan/black can class made a significant enough difference for performance. They were as close as possible and I think other things made a lot more difference than the motors. Having low power at the tap meant you had to make sure everything else was in perfect nick to make the most of the little power available. That's why a small problem or tiny setting error made a big difference. People of course blamed the motors because it's easier than chasing the perfect setup, but I don't buy it.