Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to onroad need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Default New to onroad need suggestions

Hey guys. I'm a new onroad enthusiast and have just purchased 2 hpi sprint 2 cars for $180 rtr. Plus some batteries. I've raced offroad so I have a spectrum dx2.0 and a charger plus 2 more batteries that will work i think. So here's my question: i'd like to buy a car for me to bash and parkinglot race with my boys with a thought that I may someday want to race with a local club but this is certainly a secondary thought. I'm not mechanically inclined but have a neighbor that races so he can help get me up to speed. I want a rtr or a used car that is ready to charge and go. I can buy a car without the controller for me to save on cost plus I assume the spektrum is an upgrade on most of the controllers that I'd get in a rtr package.

So what would be a good car for me to get? I've thought about another sprint 2 so I'll be familiar owning 2 already. The others that seem to be good choices would be the Tamyia tt01 or the more pricy ta05. Looks like I could find a 01 for around 150 new or a ta05 for another 30 or 40 bucks.

I have found used tt01 on ebay for $50....

Also, what bodies fit these cars.... is it the 190mm or the 200mm? Gotta look good you know.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

If the Sprint, TT01 or the TA05 are your primary choices..go with the TA05. Lots of upgrades available to any spec you want and it's very competitive. 190or 200mm bodies will fit but with the 200mm bodies you'll most likely have to get wheels with deeper offsets. I personally run 200mm on my cars and find a 3mm front offset and 6mm in back works well with most bodies. Good Hunting.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Tech Initiate

What other rtr cars or cars almost rtr would be a better selection than the ones that I've listed? I'm certainly not limited to those I've listed, those are just the ones that I've found from research here and other places. What are your recommendations?
Old 11-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

on the chance that you may wish to go further into this hobby and want to stay with the RTR theme, the Cyclone S, Kyosho TF5, are just a few. I would refrain from the TT01 because they won't cut the butter in racing plus I don't think the parts will hold well when you decide to upgrade to a brushless/lipo combination (i'm guessing you will because that seems to be the natural progression of a lot of RC drivers coming into the hobby).

i don't think the ta05 comes rtr (correct me if i'm wrong) so you will have to build it. The car itself is great so if you do decide to go this route, I'm sure you won't be dissapointed.

The bodies are 190mm with the 200mm more catered for nitro cars.

The Sprint 2 is an ok car but I'm sure you will find more cars at reasonable prices as the people on this forum start giving out advice on the many brands available out there.

I personally went the RTR route when I first started because I felt building a car was daunting. After a while I purchase a kit and never looked back. Once you build a kit from the ground up you will then know how all works if you break something.

I hope this helped a bit.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Tech Elite

Why do you want another car? You already have two! If you wanted to race seriously you might need a different car but for bashing/parking lot racing what you've got is good enough.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Niznai is right, after looking at your post again it seems that, for now, you have 2 workable chassis that suit your purpose. Get them running well and even if you start racing you could use them to learn the basics. At some point after you get the racing bug...throwing money in to the Sprint wont be advisable...then worry about a more suitable chassis.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:46 AM
Tech Initiate

I want a third just so me and the boys can bash/race.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:49 AM
Tech Champion

"i'd like to buy a car for me to bash and parkinglot race with my boys with a thought that I may someday want to race with a local club"

to me, sounds like you could do a far lot worse than get yourself a ta05.

They are a good club level car, with plenty to upgrade when you feel the need to...
Old 11-24-2009, 04:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

You could also look for a used TC3 or TC4. They can be competitive but prices are low so you could also feel good about using 'em for bashing.