Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I will pick up threaded shocks tommarow.
Old 10-04-2002, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

The tuning blocks and lowroll center blocks definitely look like speedtech hopups, the caster blocks could just be the red dynamite blocks with the anodizing removed and then polished to look like the others.

You're gonna like the threaded shocks, get the red collars too!
Old 10-04-2002, 04:49 PM
R/C Tech Founder

I find it odd that somebody took the time to copy Losi's packaging for those parts. The mounting stuff does look just like Speedtech's stuff, although if they took time to remove anodizing, they could also be the Trinity Matt Francis stuff.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally posted by Markus
Cool! Anyone use a one-way on carpet w/ foam tires? If so Setup please.
i wouldnt reccomend it, because foam tyres alone give you stacks of steering, a one-way ontop of that is just far too much and it'll cause you to scrub off speed, etc.

as for a setup, the losi page has some good carpet setups for foams.
Old 10-05-2002, 04:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi everyone ...

What is the different between blue, purple and green springs?

How will the shock oil effect handling (40wt, 60wt) ?
Old 10-05-2002, 08:20 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Blue Green purple springs are all different rates. Blue being the softest of the springs you listed, purple being the stiffest.

Blue - 14.6
Green - 17.5
Purple - 20.
Old 10-05-2002, 08:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by senna
How will the shock oil effect handling (40wt, 60wt) ?
Everything affects handling in varying degrees. Shock oil is the main factor which controls how quickly your springs can compress and decompress. Heavier weights retard this process, lighter weights allow it to be quicker. With no shock oil, your springs would be, well, springy, and your car would bounce all over the place, losing traction constantly. Shock oil thereby controls how the springs react to uneven pavement, and fine-tuning this reaction is a key to controlling handling.

Having different weights at the front and back is an option that many racers use to counteract a car's tendency to oversteer (spin out) or understeer (plow) because it allows the car's weight transfer (the key to handling) to shift more evenly and equally.

Again, it's only part of the puzzle; there's no magic oil weight combo for the XXXs (or any other car) as the selection is wholly dependent on the rest of the car's setup (springs, linkage points, kickup, tires,) as well as differences in race surface and the driver's driving style.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-05-2002, 11:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

ok ...

so let us assume that I am racing on an asphalt track outdoors with ...

BLUE springs front/rear
and
60wt shock oil front/rear

Now if I am having a problem of UNDERSTEER, what will be the possible solution ?
Old 10-05-2002, 11:58 AM
Tech Adept

Well, there's a couple things you could try.

The car is probably understeering because the front is providing more resistance to side forces than the rear is; meaning, to oversimplify, the front is too stiff (or the rear is too soft.)

Therefore, if the car is understeering/plowing, you need to "soften" the front or "stiffen" the rear. This could mean:[list=a][*]heavier weight oil in rear[*]lighter oil in the front[*]stiffer springs in rear (or more pre-load)[*]softer springs in front (or less pre-load)[*]"lay down" the shocks in the rear (making them more progressive/softer)[*]"stand up" the shocks in the front[/list=a]

Do only one of these things at a time - if you soften the rear and stiffen the front at the same time, you may overcompensate.

All of this assumes that your car is balanced well, both front to rear and side to side. If the car understeers going right but doesn't going left (or vice-versa), you probably should focus on balancing the car first.

Also - do your tires suck? That's where my biggest problem was. When I finally found the right combo (low-flex wheels with Losi Yellow Low Profile slicks) my car started to really hook up.

Last edited by sixandeightstri; 10-05-2002 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-05-2002, 12:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Do you really mean that if a car is UNDERSTEERING you should harden the front or soften the rear ?

I thought it was the opposite

If you soften the front, you should have more grip on the front, no?
Old 10-05-2002, 12:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Have a look at this site ...

http://teamrcv.com/article.php?sid=134

NOT ENOUGH STEERING

CURE :
Softer front springs
Reduce caster angle
Move wing forward/shorten spoiler

It practically says ... that if you have understeer, you need to soften front springs, thus increasing front traction and steering ...

I am confused (It seems to the contractrary what "sixandeightstri" said above ...

Any comments ...
Old 10-05-2002, 01:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

you also have to take the rest of the car's set up into consideration. Camber locations, kick up.....etc. I wouldn't know what to reccomend to you without knowing the rest of the set up.
Old 10-05-2002, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Senna: Send me your email address and I will send you a tuning guide that will answer all of your questions and will solve all of your tuning problems.

This way we can get back to talking about our Losi XXX-S'
Old 10-05-2002, 02:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

My email is ...

[email protected]

Thanks for your help ...
Senna
Old 10-05-2002, 05:08 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by senna
Do you really mean that if a car is UNDERSTEERING you should harden the front or soften the rear ?
Sorry - in trying to get my post to make sense, I reversed the problem. My original post was an answer for a person whose car is oversteering (spinning out)... I've just fixed it.

Sorry, brain fart.

This is so much harder to explain in text over the internet - if you were in front of me, I could just show you...

Last edited by sixandeightstri; 10-05-2002 at 05:12 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.