Search

johnson 540 motors

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 04:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default johnson 540 motors

Hi everyone,

i am looking for all information on looking after a johnson 540 motor, to make it faster, all the best tips welcome
Old 06-23-2003, 04:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi - I believe you can do something called 'water dunking' to help the brushes break in quicker. Not too sure exactly what the process is but I think you run the motor on 4 cells at low power and lower it into a bucket of water. Don't know the details though so get a 2nd opinon before you try it! Not sure of the legality either.

Other than that just regularly flush the whole motor with motor cleaner and put a drop of oil on the bushes.

Dave
Old 06-23-2003, 05:04 AM
Tech Regular

Water dunking is to seat the brushes in quicker as 540's use rock hard brushes. There are certain things to make 540's go faster but they are highly illegal for racing, also, where abouts do you live? If your close by you might wanna have a look at Illawarra Model Car Club, www.imcc.org.au, Killer 540 racing here
Old 06-23-2003, 12:48 PM
Tech Master

i raced a johnson 540 36 turn motor.the thing about these motors is u can gear them about 5 teeth more than you would gear a stock 27 turn.i run it in 27 turn class and was beating monster stocks down the straight.they dont have a lot of rpm but a heck of a lot torque.
gear it about 5 teeth more than you wud a 27 turn stock and try it.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Ok????????????

Beating Monster stocks in the starights?I will have to try that Come on,there is no way.Geared to the moon or not.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Post 540 voodoo

The 540's have always been an interesting class to me. It seems that the "fast guys" are always fast.

Sure a big part of this is due to great voltage, but their motor prep prior to race has provided the most entertainment

It would seem that most racers agree with the motor dip method of seating the brushes...but before you dip you need to take into account which 540 your using. New 2 vent can(harder brush) or old 4 vent can(softer brush)...Johnson or Mabuchi....blah blah blah...the list goes on & on....

But make no mistake, if you can get one of them to tell you these well guarded speed secrets, take good notes!
Old 06-23-2003, 08:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by millsdb
Hi - I believe you can do something called 'water dunking' to help the brushes break in quicker. Not too sure exactly what the process is but I think you run the motor on 4 cells at low power and lower it into a bucket of water. Don't know the details though so get a 2nd opinon before you try it! Not sure of the legality either.

Other than that just regularly flush the whole motor with motor cleaner and put a drop of oil on the bushes.

Dave
Water dunking works well with 2, 3, or 4 cells. Some people will run it on the bench at low voltage with a fan for and hour or so. Like the guy before said you have to watch the brushes.

Another thing people do is make a sandpaper type of oil for the bushings, to break them in. You have to flush it well when done.

Then once you get through the honest way cheating comes into play. Then again that is probably why I will not run mabuchis. You can get any wind you want in a Johnson/Mabuchi can which looks legal. There are also ways to tweak them too. I will just leave it at that.

I would rather run Roar Stock.

Coop
Old 06-24-2003, 01:10 AM
Tech Master

race nut123 its true.gear it about 5 teeth more than the monster and ull be surprised.thats y there slow with standard gearing but gear them up and they go good.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

trf racer - either thats a really crap monster in a really crap car with a really crap pack, or you're lying, no doubt about it. i gear my monster at 6.4 compared to 4.5 with a 540 (that's a difference of 7 pinion teeth and 9 spur teeth) and the monster is still about 1 and a half times as fast down the straight.

the fact is if you use a new monster, then a new 540 in the same car the monster will always be faster as long as they both have appropriate gearing. that's just the way it is
Old 06-24-2003, 03:55 AM
Tech Regular

so whic is better hummm...
Old 06-24-2003, 04:39 AM
Tech Master

i think u may have overgeared it.if u use a crap car a crap pack etc etc and test to njew motors ull still find the fastest one.ur point?
all iam saying is that i was racing a mate with a monster and i had a 540 and i beet him down the straights thats all iam saying.i race a monster stock and its faster but this particular person i beat.and he was using a monster.
i dont really care weather u believe it or not.i saw it and so did the bloke i beat.
i was just saying gear it higher and its good.
i dont no y everyone tries saying like oh thats rubbish or he's lying everyone is entitled to his own oponion and if u think hes lying than y not go out and try it than make up ur own opinion but u still dont have to call people lyers.i was just stating my own experiences with the 540 motor.
'tripin freddy'
Old 06-24-2003, 05:07 AM
Tech Regular

540 is probably the biggest and most hotly contested class in Illawarra, i find around 4.9 give or take a bit to be a good gearing, with this gearing you wont have explosive acceleration so you really need to be smooth and keep as much speed as you can through the corners.

Gearing a monster at 6.4 is playing with fire, i had mine geared at 7.19 and was beating other motors such as MVP's geared at about 6.4 down the straight, plus the motor was barely warm, i thought that was incredible, compared to the other motors which could probably fry an egg.

PS: There is no way a 540 is better or faster than a Monster, you may have been beating him down the straight, but he must have geared down to get incredible acceleration

Last edited by Johnny J; 06-24-2003 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:36 AM
Tech Master

he had a tiny bit more power out of the corners.we race on a very little track.a good starting point for gearing there is about 10;1!id geared it at 9.3;1 he had his at about 10.6;1
Old 06-24-2003, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Ok....

Now I smell RUBBISH! Read this guys threads in regards to MOD racing.Obscure way to think.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

trf racer - i didn't say you were lying i said either that OR (keyword that one) he had really crap stuff.
and yes if you use a crap car etc IN BOTH CARS you will still find the fastest one, but what about if one car, pack etc was crap and the other was good (ie your car, packs, and motor are good and your friend's are crap, which is why you were beating him)
another thing is that as you've said you gear at around 10 at your track, gearing so extremely can do strange things when comparing motors. and by the way anybody who drives a 540 will most likely know you gear a lot higher with them than you would a stock motor.

Johnny J - i drive at a fairly large, very open track (TFTR, i think there's some pics of the track at http://drive.to/tftr ). my motors come off warm but not so hot you can't touch it for several seconds. again due to the size and openness of our track
the most likely reason you were beating mvp's geared so much lower than you is that monsters are high rpm motors, mvp's have far more torque, not so much rpm.

all - another thing you can do is to regularly just put you motor in a container of water (disconnected) and leave it there for a while. this not only flushes out a lot of dirt, but also makes the magnets stronger

Last edited by Trippin Freddy; 06-24-2003 at 05:25 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.