Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newby needs help/won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Newby needs help/won't start

Just got an OFNA Ultra Comp LX and can't get it to start. Glow plug good, pull it out and tests OK in igniter; yet it does say it is a .21 and this is a .26 engine. Is that the right glow plug or did they screw up from the factory? It also came with 2 washers; are they both needed or is one a spare ?Getting fuel, can remove glow plug and blow excess out top of engine buy pulling on rope. I've been trying to crank this thing for over an hour, Please Help. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

sounds if though your engine is to rich. Those ofna force 26 motors like to run hot, upwards of 260 degrees. Lean your high speed by 1/2 a turn and go from there. You need to break the motor in, so let it run rich for a couple of tanks before you start to lean it out. Take your time, the key is to make small adjustments on the carb so as to not hurt the motor. If you need more help, post your q's here, of course you probably knew that!
Old 01-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Suspended

First you are going to need to preheat your engine with a hairdryer or heat gun to make it easier to start.You should bring it up to about 180-200 degrees.Also the stock glow plugs they give you I think are not very good quality you should get yourself a mccoy #mc-59 and if you can not get that plug at your local lhs the get a traxxas brand 3232 superduty glowplug, they are about 5 dollars on average.I have a feeling the settings on your engine are going to be way to rich(where are you from and do you know how far above sea level you are?)I know it seem like a weird question but It will help me figure out where your settings need to be.The other thing is you really will need to go through every metal to metal fastener on that car especially on the drive cups and thread lock those grub screws that hold them on, they will rattle loose real quick.Back to your motor...get a good plug in your motor then turn on your transmitter first, then turn the power to the car on, make sure everything works properly look to see the throttle opens when you squeeze the trigger and that when you push the trigger forward the brakes work, lastly make sure your steering is centered and pointing stright ahead.Now you should range test it for intermintancy to be safe and look for any glitching of the servo's(they will flutter and move around on thier own if defective)you will need someone to stay with the car while you walk a good distance away, have the transmitter antenna extended fully .Once all this checks out then preheat your motor as described above to 180-200 degrees and open up the trim setting on the radio to add some throttle insert the glow ignightor on the glow plug and do short quick pulls..be carefull not to over extend the pull starter or it will be damaged, at that point it should start, if you see a ton of fuel blowing out of the pipe when you give a bit of throttle then lean out you hsn 1/8th a turn till it stays running but make sure there is a little fuel residue coming out the pipe so its rich enough for break it.

Hope this helps..good luck with it.

Last edited by ntro75; 01-14-2006 at 03:10 PM.