what sort of Connectors are these?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what sort of Connectors are these?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 03:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default what sort of Connectors are these?

Was checking out the modified electric races the other day, and noticed the majority of em were using these sort of plugs. There was only 1 or 2 using the deans plugs. Anyone know what they are called? Also is there much advantage in using em over the deans plugs?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails what sort of Connectors are these?-gruazmobil-2.jpg  
Old 11-21-2002, 03:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Howdy,

these are PK-style plugs. Now called Corally-style plugs, or Orion-style plugs.

Supposedly the lowest resistance next to a sloder joints... I don't use them because there's no polarity check like on Deans for instance. It's easy to blow up your ESC if you plug the wires backwards and it's not protected (GM, CS, etc...). But If you're looking for that extra thousandth of a volt, and don't want to direct solder, then it's the way to go.

Later,
Paul
Old 11-21-2002, 03:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

thanks for that Paul,
yes was always afraid if i owned em i might hook em up the wrong way. or the batteries might shortcuirut somehow with odd bits of metal lying around.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:47 AM
Tech Regular

I once measured the resistance to be 0.35 mOhm. About the same as a couple of centimeters of 14G wire. AMP is the original manufacturer and these connectors can be purchaced for next to nothing from good electronics stores.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

now that's a good info, JesseT!!!

Yeah I was afraid of shorting something too... that's why I never switched to them.

Later
Paul
Old 11-21-2002, 08:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If I'm not mistaken, isn't that a RS4 Pro3?! What chassis is that? Can anyone help me out? Thanks.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've never used them, but after making a similar comment about reversing the connections, A friend pointed out that the way his batteries were soldered together and with the length of the wires on his speed control it was impossible to hook it up backward with the battery in the car.

It makes sense, if the layout of the car is such that one speed control wire is too short to reach the wrong post you can't hook it up backward with the battery in the car.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:50 AM
Tech Addict

thats a prototype they tried out awhile back. I can't remeber a site or anything.(i wish it looks like a good idea) Almost like my Graphite chassie for the losi ohhh so sweet
Old 11-21-2002, 11:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

If you take a look at the pic I think you might be able to figure out what site it came from LMAO.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

I dont speak German so their site isnt much use to me, but to me it looks like a pro 3 with a custom chassis. The moved the belt to the center, so I guess they have a custon diff also.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

hey,
those are what are called bullet style connectors. i use them. most people just hardwire everything, but i've got too much other stuff to worry about to be soldering everything in. i like them. i put them on my motors as well, just to make everything quicker. they hold well, and i've only ever had one pop out. the conductivity is supposed to be quite well, for a temporary connection. i don't really think that there is a performance advantage over deans, but it does allow me to run all of my wires to their destinations, and leave my with batteries that don't have any wires on them. that's a big plus for me since i run saddles. hope this helps. oh, they come from trinity, or reedy, but you can get them from radioshack or hi-fi places. later.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

whoops, i wasn't logged in when i viewed the post, and they were all backwards to me. i see the question has been answered a few times already. sorry