Wiki Posts
Search

Pico .28 9 port P3 vs. Jammin .28 Off-Road

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default Pico .28 9 port P3 vs. Jammin .28 Off-Road

I am looking for an inexpensive .28 Truggy motor. Any pro's con's for these two motors. Which will you guys choose and why?

Also, how does these motors compared to the .28 Ninja?
Old 10-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teeforb
I am looking for an inexpensive .28 Truggy motor. Any pro's con's for these two motors. Which will you guys choose and why?

Also, how does these motors compared to the .28 Ninja?
The jammin 28 is 100% identical to the Picco 28... the only difference is the jamin has a 8 mm carb venturi and the Picco has a 9 mm venturi...other then that they are identical motors.....

the Picco's make more low end power then the Ninja, but the Ninja makes more top end and has a broder power curve..... the Picco's are long stroke engines made for tourque, and the NInja is a short stroke mill favoring high RPM......
Old 10-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The jammin 28 is 100% identical to the Picco 28... the only difference is the jamin has a 8 mm carb venturi and the Picco has a 9 mm venturi...other then that they are identical motors.....

the Picco's make more low end power then the Ninja, but the Ninja makes more top end and has a broder power curve..... the Picco's are long stroke engines made for tourque, and the NInja is a short stroke mill favoring high RPM......
exactly correct. i had a Picco .27 and it was a torque powerhouse, but coupled with a JP-2 pipe it was very well rounded. i personally think you should go with a torquey engine, since that's when most racer's need the power. only if your track has a long or a lot of straights would i go with a high RPM engine. i would go with a torque engine; it will get you scooting around the short sections and up the jumps in a hurry.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Tech Champion

thanks for the responses!!! I'll go with the Picco P3.

-Tavares
Old 10-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The Jammin motors are made by Picco but they have differnt timing and a few things.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Tech Champion

but overall, these two motors will do me well in a truggy for racing, right?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by AZRCaddict
The Jammin motors are made by Picco but they have differnt timing and a few things.
they are actualy 100% the same.. I have personaly modified and timed both motors, the only difference is the venturi's, other then that the differences are just cosmetic....

IMHO the P3 28 has too much bottom end and results in alot of wheelspin...... if you have the $$$ the Ninja 28 is a better track motor.....
Old 10-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

IMHO the P3 28 has too much bottom end and results in alot of wheelspin...... if you have the $$$ the Ninja 28 is a better track motor.....
do you think this could be counteracted with a top-end pipe?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)

you cant counteract wheelspin but you can help increase topend.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jatoman1992
you cant counteract wheelspin but you can help increase topend.
can you counter act by going up a tooth on the pinion? that will reduce the bottom and increase the top, right?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by teeforb
can you counter act by going up a tooth on the pinion? that will reduce the bottom and increase the top, right?
you can, but the feel is not the same as a revvy motor with lower gearing....its much easier to modulate an engine on lower gearing... As well you will find that geared up with a 28 that you will start smoking clutches and CB bearings.. on a modded 28 we couldnt finish a race with anything but stock gearing...... The Picco is a fantastic motor, and extremely powerful, the modded Picco 28's can be ballistic.. But regardless the Ninja is a better track motor, the power is smoother, the powerband is broader, and the power is very strong in the top end, where the Picco will fall off the Ninja will keep pulling..... As well even though the Ninja has great top end it also has very good bottom end, it pulls evenly from idle to 40 000 RPM...... But for sheer power the Picco is superior, but for a motor that will give you razor control and endless top the Ninja is my weapon of choice.......
Old 10-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Maximo
you can, but the feel is not the same as a revvy motor with lower gearing....its much easier to modulate an engine on lower gearing... As well you will find that geared up with a 28 that you will start smoking clutches and CB bearings.. on a modded 28 we couldnt finish a race with anything but stock gearing...... The Picco is a fantastic motor, and extremely powerful, the modded Picco 28's can be ballistic.. But regardless the Ninja is a better track motor, the power is smoother, the powerband is broader, and the power is very strong in the top end, where the Picco will fall off the Ninja will keep pulling..... As well even though the Ninja has great top end it also has very good bottom end, it pulls evenly from idle to 40 000 RPM...... But for sheer power the Picco is superior, but for a motor that will give you razor control and endless top the Ninja is my weapon of choice.......
Good info Maximo!!! Thanks...
Old 10-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Maximo
they are actualy 100% the same.. I have personaly modified and timed both motors, the only difference is the venturi's, other then that the differences are just cosmetic....

Hmm I guess misunderstood Jay Halsey?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AZRCaddict
Hmm I guess misunderstood Jay Halsey?
This turned into a huge debate on OFNA's own web site already. Sure enough, it didn't last long before getting deleted. No one could make a case for what specifically is different between the two other than quoting the advertising.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Not trying to argue at all, just stating what I was told. I could be wrong though.

Originally Posted by Steve Dunn from SGrid
it is made by Picco to Jammin specs.....differant timing and stuff.....so it will have a differant power band and look.

both great engines and the cost is what makes it really good.....and they last long time...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.