Wiki Posts
Search

F104 Electronics Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 07:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)
Default F104 Electronics Advice

Got my hands on a Tamiya F104. Next big decision will be picking out a motor and speed controller for it. Im thinking about running a 1s LiPo so the ESC has to be able to run off that. I have a few Thunder Power motors that I plan to use so ill be looking around for a 21.5 stator. Regarding the ESC, I was looking at the Tekin RS models because of size.

Does anyone have any hints or tips for what they are using? I have all the rotors that Thunder Power uses on the Z3R motors so I can try diff torque ranges. Ive noticed some people using LRP motors as well. Also, the D3.5 looks like a fast motor but alas its not ROAR approved.

Lastly, I was curious as to what people were using for tires. Im planning to run indoors on CRC racing carpet so I would say that the traction is good. Should I be ok with rubber tires or should I use foam? Regarding gearing, what setup are you using for spur/pinion? Any help to any of these topics would be appreciated! I am super excited about this car and even though its going to take a while to get all the electronics for it, It looks great just sitting there.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

What rules are you guys running? Locally we have 21.5/2s lipo. In that case the Tekin RS or the hobbywing justock is a great option. All of the 21.5's are good motors, I'm partial to the RevTechs personally. The Z3R motors are pretty popular as well.

Most guys are running shorty packs to help with weight but the choice is yours. Good luck!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

ive run reedy and thunder power 21.5 and really like them both. As far as esc's you cant go wrong with tekin but I recently picked up a hobbywing JUSTOCK and its pretty awesome and was only $50!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Actually I may have been wrong about the battery. I believe the guys are running 2s shorty cells. It threw me off because I thought they were running 1s packs. I love my thunder power motors so I may just have to pickup a 21.5 stator. What rotor are you guys using? I have all three but im debating between the hi-torque and the hi-speed.

I like the Tekin RS ESC but I also like the price tag of the JusStock.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M3Roc
Actually I may have been wrong about the battery. I believe the guys are running 2s shorty cells. It threw me off because I thought they were running 1s packs. I love my thunder power motors so I may just have to pickup a 21.5 stator. What rotor are you guys using? I have all three but im debating between the hi-torque and the hi-speed.

I like the Tekin RS ESC but I also like the price tag of the JusStock.
I see you're in Cleveland. Ask Chuck Mackin about his setup. Most guys run the shorty 2S packs. I personally have an SP 21.5 motor in my car and a SP GT 2.1 ESC stood up on it's side behind the servo.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

I am and im am gonna see what the other guys are running for setups but I fell I will be shunned at the track because I didn't get the VBC Kit

This is hopefully gonna stay as a "top secret" project until im ready to get it on the road. I love the VBC, I just couldn't afford it. Ive heard nothing bad about the Tamiya and the one I got from one of our users here on RC Tech has a lot of carbon fiber upgrades so it was a great deal.

I was looking a the new Tekin RS Gen 2 and I love the red on white! It looks great but as always their price is waaaay inflated... Someday..
Old 05-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M3Roc
I am and im am gonna see what the other guys are running for setups but I fell I will be shunned at the track because I didn't get the VBC Kit

This is hopefully gonna stay as a "top secret" project until im ready to get it on the road. I love the VBC, I just couldn't afford it. Ive heard nothing bad about the Tamiya and the one I got from one of our users here on RC Tech has a lot of carbon fiber upgrades so it was a great deal.

I was looking a the new Tekin RS Gen 2 and I love the red on white! It looks great but as always their price is waaaay inflated... Someday..
The Justock is a fantastic esc (I run it in my F1 and VTA, I have the v3.1 in my stock sedan as well). The programming card is great for track side changes.

As far as picking mfg, the trend is the opposite here in TX. Almost everyone runs Tamiya or one of their variants (I have an F1R for example) with only 1 or 2 guys running Plasma's. The F104 family has been around for a while and there are alot of very knowledgable people out there for setup help.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Regional Moderator

Get the Justock. I have one in my VBC. Works great. Less filling. And yes, we're running UF1 rules. 2s LiPo, ROAR approved 21.5 motor, Pardus rubber "spec" tires.

Oh, and your secret is out.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Lol ooooohhhhh maaaaaannn.. Well the cats outta the bag... Ill have to check out the UF1 rules and go by that. I really want that Tekin but ill wait on it and ge the Justock for now, the price is a killer..

I promise ill get a car ready to run by next weekend if not this. I have a bunch of cars that are like 90% done so im working on that..
Old 05-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Regional Moderator

Just finish one already and take advantage of the free practice day this Saturday, and then race this Sunday. Talk is cheap.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
Talk is cheap.
But batteries and speed controllers aren't

Ill have my 12 stock ready for all day practice assuming that hobbypartz delivers tomorrow with the speed controller. Ill let Wayne work his magic and hopefully he will feel nice enough to help me dial in my CRC..

All the VTA car needs is a servo saver which hasn't been shipped yet, I ordered it monday and its still sitting there. Also it needs a battery..

The F104 needs a plethora of parts but that's in the works..
Old 05-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Tech Master

Outside of the Thunder Power and D3.5, what other motors are good for the F1 class? Ive seen a few guys run something else there..
Old 05-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I was running a reedy sonic in my F1R and it was plenty quick enough.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Tech Master

I think that's what ive seen other guys use as well.. If I don't find a 21.5 TP stator ill look around for a reedy as well. USPS failed to deliver today big time so I wont get my ESC until tomorrow morning... An hour before I go to the track.. Its ok, at least I got the charger today..
Old 05-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Run your car he said.. Talk is cheap he said..
Now I need replacement parts but I will admit, I had a ton of fun!