Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By racer1812

Kyosho parts failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 06:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Kyosho parts failure

So this is a mix of tech and racing post, biggest reason I posted in here is because the race guys run with more power and might know an alternative path to correct this issue since they've surely had the same issue.

So a buddy of mine and myself are running mp9 tki3's and he's having problems with the universal shafts visibly twisting @ 90° and breaking as well as the outdrives wearing quickly and at this point my outdrives are worn badly with less than a gallon through it with the ke21r including a handful of tanks on a werks b5. Some of the other guys at the track are running multiple seasons with no wear (other brands of course).
As far as the universals I'd assume just finding another "beefier" brand the same size (anyone tryed to verify?) could be the best remedy. As far as the outdrives the tki3 and tki4 including the rtr models use the same part number. Anyone tryed hardening them or found another brand that works?
Old 03-09-2017, 06:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Pics please, When I ran Kyosho MP9 ->MP9TKI3 I never had an issue with the driveshafts.

Also if its the RS model, remember its running a 4 gear diff not a 6 gear like the Race Buggies, so if there is any internal deflection inside the diff because of the lack of gear contact, that may manifest itself otherwhere!

- You can not further harden the outdrives, you will make them brittle!

From the sounds of this it was a ready set, and you put a ~2.6hp motor in there, did you upgrade the diffs?
Attached Thumbnails Kyosho parts failure-readyset-diffs.png  

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 03-09-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Is there a link to a legit website with parts in stock to order these upgraded diffs and dogbones, outputs and maybe some other things? Dollar hobbyz has a good deal going on but are out of stock. Always.. thanks for the input that makes alot of sense, I'm assuming the 4 gear diff is giving a rough power output to the wheels instead of smoother output using the power it's given to not clap and damage the outputs and axles. Correct?
Old 03-09-2017, 06:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Technically there is also 6 gears inside our diffs. Two cross pins with 4 gears then a bottom and top gear. Sorry for my description I am a bit new. I'd like to see this design of the upgraded diff would you have any pictures of the difference in the 2?
Old 03-09-2017, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XtremeJDM
So this is a mix of tech and racing post, biggest reason I posted in here is because the race guys run with more power and might know an alternative path to correct this issue since they've surely had the same issue.

So a buddy of mine and myself are running mp9 tki3's and he's having problems with the universal shafts visibly twisting @ 90° and breaking as well as the outdrives wearing quickly and at this point my outdrives are worn badly with less than a gallon through it with the ke21r including a handful of tanks on a werks b5. Some of the other guys at the track are running multiple seasons with no wear (other brands of course).
As far as the universals I'd assume just finding another "beefier" brand the same size (anyone tryed to verify?) could be the best remedy. As far as the outdrives the tki3 and tki4 including the rtr models use the same part number. Anyone tryed hardening them or found another brand that works?
You'll have better luck asking in here...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...buggy-kit.html
1/8 IC Fan likes this.

Last edited by racer1812; 03-09-2017 at 08:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-09-2017, 08:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darin_kyosho
Technically there is also 6 gears inside our diffs. Two cross pins with 4 gears then a bottom and top gear. Sorry for my description I am a bit new. I'd like to see this design of the upgraded diff would you have any pictures of the difference in the 2?
Not in the Readyset, thats 4 gear, hence my attached picture. The Race Spec Buggies (i.e. non Readyset cars) have 6 gear diffs.