Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The poor man's racing thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The biggest thing I find with RC racing is that the desire to buy hop ups and useless tools really kills me. I spend more on that stuff than anything else. If you only buy the things you need you should save a lot of money. Also changing to a more conservative driving style will help reduce wear and breakage everywhere.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:34 PM
jko
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You might want to consider getting a set of used brushless esc/motor for practice, it should be cheaper in the long run than practicing with stock motors. Also as mentioned before, getting used stuff from the "Pros" is a good idea.
Also when some parts break, it might be possible to reglue them with pieces of reinforcement plastic/graphite. It may add a litltle extra weight, but for practice, this should be negligible.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jgroenhof
Thanks for posting everyone. I look forward to more.
try tobasco in the chicken ramen. it spices it up a bit.

get yourself a good lathe and rebuild your motors instead of buying new every time. in the long run, it'll save you tons. i love my orion lathe. it's fairly cheap and one of the best on the market. for about the price of three stock motors, you can get a nice orion lathe....and you don't have to have the diamond bit either. a carbon bit works just fine and you can buy those for about 5 bucks each if you look hard enough.

remember, you don't have to have the latest and greatest batteries to be competitive either. inexpensive 3800's do nicely.

check ebay.......if you're carefull and savey, you can find some really great deals there from time to time. remember to check their feedback....and read even their favaorable feedback too. there might be clues in even the good feedback. just be savey and careful.

buy smart and buy quality the first time....or you'll buy twice. good luck.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I like to use Proline Bow Tie tyres sometimes as they last for ages, especially in stock.

They don't work that well on some surfaces but if you can get away with it try them out. I imagine the pleasure you get from racing is just as much from spending quality time with the lad as it is being on the podium...

Good luck!
Old 12-30-2006, 07:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default that's for sure

Originally Posted by B4Bandit
I like to use Proline Bow Tie tyres sometimes as they last for ages, especially in stock.
I imagine the pleasure you get from racing is just as much from spending quality time with the lad as it is being on the podium...

Good luck!
I have finally found something to do with my boy that also gives me a real kick in the pants. And he's even starting to work on his own car a bit. (proud dad)

Proline Hole shots are the preferred tire at the track. But you know they go real quick. I have been keeping my eye out for an alternative.

I was also wondering if many of you buy new armatures for motors. The endbell/cans seem to last a good long time.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you can cut out foam washer from old tire inserts, they can protect the ball and cup joint, enhancing endurance.

use a body until it cracks in half, like mine on my xxx-t. lol

look in the trash cans during the races, sometimes they throw away chargers, used tires, and perfectly good parts! just have some paper towels to wipe off the mayanayse and ketchup...

there are these "gladiator" tires, or something like that, and they have blocky pins, and when they wear out, there is another tread design underneath... a wise investment for the basher/ocasional racer.

use rechargables in your transmitter.

the duratrax streak esc is about $40, yet accepts 13 turns, and is forwardonly, a great investment for racing. of course, the bigger brands (novak, tekin, etc.) are much better.

used parts are ok, like a used high torque servo is a ok investment. a broken ear can save you $30!

used batteries can be a real bargian, just look to see if they have leaked or not. just dont get nasty looking packs.

i find that ready 767 brushes wear very clean, compared to some i have run.

put ball bearing in your motors, they increase performance and efficiency.

those are some of my things i do. i dont use motorspray much at all. good luck, and may the ramen be with you. Mmmm... tabasco in chicken... havnt tried that yet...
Old 12-30-2006, 08:07 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

On the batteries I run 3600 for stock, Good voltage (1.23's +) more than enough run time, they are lighter than the 3800 and up cells..and much cheaper. Work on your gearing, under geared and over geared motors get hot, bad on the brushes. Best Tip comes from
WheelNut "Also changing to a more conservative driving style will help reduce wear and breakage everywhere."
This tip will also make you a faster driver...
Old 12-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You can save alot of $$ by buying matched cells that dont make the cut. Usually can pick cells up for 4-5$ a cell. They are awsome offroad packs and most of the matchers have loose labeled cells to sell.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I'm getting pre-builts, Good numbers (1.23 +) from a reputable matcher for about $6.50 a cell...
Old 12-31-2006, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

All the above responses are great to reduce costs. Use the lower maintence motors like the Orion V2 or Checkpoint motors. These motors are alot easier on the comm and brushes than the trinity motors. The Orion V2 motors are the cheapest to run especially if you have your own comm lathe. The endro brushes only cost around 3 to 4 bucks and can last 40 plus runs.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Default frugal

Consider buying out people who are getting out of the hobby. You can usually sell off what you don't need and keep the rest for little money.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey I have 3 packs of 3300's and 3 packs of 3600's promatch batteries I don't use anymore and will sell very cheap, let me know
Old 01-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Halve
Hey I have 3 packs of 3300's and 3 packs of 3600's promatch batteries I don't use anymore and will sell very cheap, let me know
That sound more like a post for the For Sale thread forum. However, I might be looking for you at the track.

As for motors, I have a nice Birdman P2k2 which needs a new arm. Do most of you buy new arms, or would you go for a new motor?
Old 01-02-2007, 01:17 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jgroenhof
I have finally found something to do with my boy that also gives me a real kick in the pants. And he's even starting to work on his own car a bit. (proud dad)

Proline Hole shots are the preferred tire at the track. But you know they go real quick. I have been keeping my eye out for an alternative.

I was also wondering if many of you buy new armatures for motors. The endbell/cans seem to last a good long time.
Gio told me that Panther switches (SS) in the rear with Panther switches (Clay) in the front works just as well (or with small alterations). He once said he can get 50 runs on them, I don't know how much of that is true, but talk to him about it. Even if they last as long as a holeshot, they cost half the price.

Run worn out tires and old motors for practice, if you are spinning out because of the junk tires, loosen your slipper up a bit to compensate.

From experience, the easiest way to save money, tires, motors, everything, is to reduce the time spent at the track. I used to go to socal twice a week, but I've cut back (although because of winter break, we've been going more since we've had the chance) to once a week. Friday nights are the best day to go, if you can get off of work early enough and you get there early. You'll get the most practice time possible.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Tech Addict

Default Awww

From experience, the easiest way to save money, tires, motors, everything, is to reduce the time spent at the track.
C'mon Johnny, don't say that! Last Sunday, had a nice setup, felt smooth, felt fast, managed 9 laps, and still scored 8th place Intermediate Truck.
I need a lot of practice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.