• 1 Post By OffRoadJunkie
  • 1 Post By rtrc

XB8e ~OR~ MP10e

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 05:11 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default XB8e ~OR~ MP10e

I've been a little back and forth between these two cars. I bought the XB8 and XB8e (both new in the boxes still), but was thinking about going with the MP10e / MP10 instead. What are your thoughts guys? Anyone have any experience with one or the other (or both?)

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2022, 11:48 AM
Suspended

Don't everyone jump at once LOL
Guess it's time to just stick with Facebook for all tech talk.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I looked at the Kyosho just out of curiosity. I have an XB8E 2020. The only thing that kept me from the Kyosho is no arrangement for a 4s pack. Other than that, it seems like a fine car. You might look at the Mugen also.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

LOL...
That is a question that people may be afraid to answer due to backlash. They are both great cars and will have not problem getting you to the podium. I have heard the Kyosho is really good on tighter tracks. I haven't raced any of them, so I don't know for sure what he difference in performance is. My guess is, it depends mostly on what brand you prefer. I race Kyosho only because it is more exciting, for me, to have the least popular brand on the track. The only issue I could see with Kyosho is the lack of support. It's not an issue for me because I like to figure it out for myself and/or I can always ask questions on here. Try throwing this question out there in both the MP10e and the XB8e thread. See what they tell you. Same goes for the nitro variants. Some of those guys have raced with both.
Old 01-07-2022, 04:44 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by hunterdawg
I looked at the Kyosho just out of curiosity. I have an XB8E 2020. The only thing that kept me from the Kyosho is no arrangement for a 4s pack. Other than that, it seems like a fine car. You might look at the Mugen also.
That's a good point if you're into the 4s configuration. A big reason why I was interested in the Kyosho & XB8e is they seem to have excellent balance. I think the split lipo set up helps that a bit. Otherwise, I agree with you. A single 4s pack is just easier.

I ran Mugen in 2019. I have no complaints... great car! Matter of fact, I think a new release is on the way. I figured I'd just try another brand this year

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
LOL...
That is a question that people may be afraid to answer due to backlash. They are both great cars and will have not problem getting you to the podium. I have heard the Kyosho is really good on tighter tracks. I haven't raced any of them, so I don't know for sure what he difference in performance is. My guess is, it depends mostly on what brand you prefer. I race Kyosho only because it is more exciting, for me, to have the least popular brand on the track. The only issue I could see with Kyosho is the lack of support. It's not an issue for me because I like to figure it out for myself and/or I can always ask questions on here. Try throwing this question out there in both the MP10e and the XB8e thread. See what they tell you. Same goes for the nitro variants. Some of those guys have raced with both.
Parts support for both Xray and Kyosho are spotty as well. The 4 top names run there are Mugen, Associated, Tekno and TLR. I've run all 3 of them (was least impressed with TLR, followed by Tekno, then Associated. Mugen was very good!) What attracted me to these 2 cars I'm asking about is mainly their excellent balance w/split lipo set up. There's other things too, but that's one of the biggest factors. That and I've never run either brand before.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I know Kyosho has the split packs and I believe Xray give you the option. The best thing about Xray is that they update their cars every year, where Kyosho will keep the same platform for many years. The worst thing about Xray is, they upgrade their cars every year which makes you feel like your current car is outdated. Kyosho keeps the same platform for many years, but they constantly offer upgrades for it and so do other manufacturers. However, because everyone else is coming out with new cars every year, it makes your Kyosho seem outdated.
Smokeyr67 likes this.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:33 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
I know Kyosho has the split packs and I believe Xray give you the option. The best thing about Xray is that they update their cars every year, where Kyosho will keep the same platform for many years. The worst thing about Xray is, they upgrade their cars every year which makes you feel like your current car is outdated. Kyosho keeps the same platform for many years, but they constantly offer upgrades for it and so do other manufacturers. However, because everyone else is coming out with new cars every year, it makes your Kyosho seem outdated.
This is a very good point.
I ended up getting XRAY (XB8 and XB8e) and have a shiz ton of parts I bought for cheap N.I.P. off Facebook groups. My concern about XRAY is this yearly "update" stuff with the releasing of a new kit every year (like most manufacturers now). The good thing about XRAY is though, a decent amount of parts are usually in their new releases from prior models. I'm always worried about parts availability falling off with new releases because they manufacturers might stop making them - so I've always found myself jumping ship and getting into a new car. One of the positives at least for Kyosho is due to the amount of time and the same car sold over a lengthy period of time; parts are plentiful (usually) and well beyond the car's discontinuation. Mugen also takes it's time with new releases.

I kind of wish 2 years was the minimum between releases. All brands.

PS - I may have already purchased all XRAY, but not a single thing has been opened yet and I was seriously considering switching gears to the MP10. Seems though XRAY might have been the better choice?
Old 01-09-2022, 01:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Are you able to drive them for comparison? Where I live, Kyosho is not very popular so I ended up buying an MP10e for myself along with tekno eb 2.0, xray xb8e and HB 819rs. Yes, call me crazy for owning all the different buggies but it was half the fun to be able to try 'em out and drive the heck out of it without fear of breaking someone else's rig. To me, the most stable rig is the MP10e but for the life of me I just can't get it to be fast like the xb8e or the HB. I am the most consistent with the Kyosho but I can be faster with the xb8e and e819rs, and durability wise, the Kyosho definitely lags behind the other major brands, just be sure to stock up on front a-arms. I got rid of the tekno right away because it was way jittery and twitchy for my old man reflex, lol, but in the hands of a good driver it's definitely one of the fastest and most nimble buggy. Driving the Tekno is like a workout for me where the other buggies I can actually have fun and enjoy myself. The xray and HB are comparable in terms of steering, speed and stability and I ended up keeping the HB because it suits my driving style the best. I have an MP10e roller that I can sell you in case you want to try it out along with your xray.
Old 01-09-2022, 03:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by rtrc
Are you able to drive them for comparison? Where I live, Kyosho is not very popular so I ended up buying an MP10e for myself along with tekno eb 2.0, xray xb8e and HB 819rs. Yes, call me crazy for owning all the different buggies but it was half the fun to be able to try 'em out and drive the heck out of it without fear of breaking someone else's rig. To me, the most stable rig is the MP10e but for the life of me I just can't get it to be fast like the xb8e or the HB. I am the most consistent with the Kyosho but I can be faster with the xb8e and e819rs, and durability wise, the Kyosho definitely lags behind the other major brands, just be sure to stock up on front a-arms. I got rid of the tekno right away because it was way jittery and twitchy for my old man reflex, lol, but in the hands of a good driver it's definitely one of the fastest and most nimble buggy. Driving the Tekno is like a workout for me where the other buggies I can actually have fun and enjoy myself. The xray and HB are comparable in terms of steering, speed and stability and I ended up keeping the HB because it suits my driving style the best. I have an MP10e roller that I can sell you in case you want to try it out along with your xray.
Epic reply right here! Just the type of response from someone I was hoping for. I 100% concur with your assessment on the Tekno. I started a season with an EB48 2.0 and was not impressed (I'm 41 btw..). I bitched and moaned at the track that the car was too twitchy but the fanboi's were in completely denial to my gripe. Low and behold... everyone I've seen who has run from tekno complains that the car is too twitchy. At least I know you and I have similar driving styles

I read that the arms on the Kyosho were a pain point. If I recall correctly, there is this aluminum conversion kit or something for the front end, but it was stupid money... like $300. That deterred me a little from going the Kyosho route, but I've seen over and over again people talk about how consistent it is, now including yourself. I find it intriguing that you find you can't get as fast with it as you can the XB. I wonder what the reasoning for that is. Could be just driving style, but something tells me it's a bit more than that.

I'm gearing up to break into the kit builds soon. I haven't broken the seal on either of them yet (XB8E and XB8) and didn't want to until I was ABSOLUTELY sure about going this route. The more and more I see on this topic, the more I think I made the right decision. If XRAY for some reason doesn't pan out, I'll be retreating back to Mugen. I had a whole season running that and have zero complains about it. Only reason I'm not going Mugen for 2022 is I sold off everything thinking I was getting out and skipped over 2021. Figured I'd try another brand like you have!

Appreciate the reply!
Old 01-09-2022, 04:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ExRCRacer
Epic reply right here! Just the type of response from someone I was hoping for. I 100% concur with your assessment on the Tekno. I started a season with an EB48 2.0 and was not impressed (I'm 41 btw..). I bitched and moaned at the track that the car was too twitchy but the fanboi's were in completely denial to my gripe. Low and behold... everyone I've seen who has run from tekno complains that the car is too twitchy. At least I know you and I have similar driving styles

I read that the arms on the Kyosho were a pain point. If I recall correctly, there is this aluminum conversion kit or something for the front end, but it was stupid money... like $300. That deterred me a little from going the Kyosho route, but I've seen over and over again people talk about how consistent it is, now including yourself. I find it intriguing that you find you can't get as fast with it as you can the XB. I wonder what the reasoning for that is. Could be just driving style, but something tells me it's a bit more than that.

I'm gearing up to break into the kit builds soon. I haven't broken the seal on either of them yet (XB8E and XB8) and didn't want to until I was ABSOLUTELY sure about going this route. The more and more I see on this topic, the more I think I made the right decision. If XRAY for some reason doesn't pan out, I'll be retreating back to Mugen. I had a whole season running that and have zero complains about it. Only reason I'm not going Mugen for 2022 is I sold off everything thinking I was getting out and skipped over 2021. Figured I'd try another brand like you have!

Appreciate the reply!
I was able to go fast with the HB because the buggy is just so predictable, relatively nimble and well balanced, therefore confidence inspiring. The xb8e has a huge steering advantage due to the pillow ball setup and was rather tail happy so I was able to whip around tight turns with ease, although I didn't have the consistency and reaction time to fully utilize its potential. The MP10e was super stable and planted, but was a pig compared to the others. The saddle pack set up on the Kyosho is different that the xray since the batteries are way wide which made it sluggish on tight turns. Now, these are just my experience, and I'm sure the MP10e fans will beg to differ. I'd imagine the xray will drive similar to the mugen perhaps a tad more stable due to its saddle pack layout, and you should acclimate very quickly. For what it's worth, I think you made a great decision by going with xray, but if opportunity ever arises you should give HB a try. Good luck and keep us posted!
ExRCRacer likes this.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

none of the above.... get yourself an HB E819RS .... easy to drive for the common "racer joe"... even w/ stock setup.
Another buggy is Tekno EB48 2.0 ... easy to setup but you have to be an aggressive driver to like it.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:15 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Phillip F
none of the above.... get yourself an HB E819RS .... easy to drive for the common "racer joe"... even w/ stock setup.
Another buggy is Tekno EB48 2.0 ... easy to setup but you have to be an aggressive driver to like it.
I've had that EB48 2.0 --- thing is twitchy as hell and I managed to break a shock cap on a plane jane landing. Their crosspins for the diffs in the kit weren't correct sizing for the spider gears. Tekno support gave me all kinds of sh*t over their crosspin not fitting. I had to send a video proving I couldn't get it though the spider gear with a hammer. Ridiculous... wasn't impressed with Tekno and IMO their cars drive like crap.

I've heard good things about HB though.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ExRCRacer
I've had that EB48 2.0 --- thing is twitchy as hell and I managed to break a shock cap on a plane jane landing. Their crosspins for the diffs in the kit weren't correct sizing for the spider gears. Tekno support gave me all kinds of sh*t over their crosspin not fitting. I had to send a video proving I couldn't get it though the spider gear with a hammer. Ridiculous... wasn't impressed with Tekno and IMO their cars drive like crap.

I've heard good things about HB though.
Odd.... never had bad experience with the Tekno. I learned and got faster racing with it.... then I moved to HB... different level.