Wiki Posts
Search

TC3 Drive Train

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 10:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default TC3 Drive Train

I am having a real problem with freeing up my drivetrain in my TC3. I have cleaned the bearings good and gone through the diffs but when I get it all back together it still feels kinda bound up. Any tips on how to get this to go away? O, and are you guys who are still drivin this car having problems with it drifiting down the straights? A couple of the guys with the TC3 are drifting left all the way down the straight.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:24 PM
Suspended

make sure it is shimmeed right and that you are not over tightening the diff cases and pinching the bearings
Old 10-30-2004, 10:39 PM
Tech Addict

what exactly is being shimmed? Im not seeing any shims in it at all. I will make sure not to overtighten though
Old 10-30-2004, 10:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

If you have not done it already, buy the NTC3 cases. They are the updated diff cases. They will free up the tranny. You will need to get a shim kit cause it will be too much play in the tranny. Also like Team_ass.4ever said, make sure you don't tighten the diff cases down too tight. Also dont tighten the little brace that holds down the drive shalf bearing next to the spur gear. When you shim the diff, put the shims in so it won't bind the diff gear and the gear on the shaft.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

The lates t issue of Touring Car shows how to Dremel the recesses for the large diff bearings.

If you can hold the diff and the bearing will not fall out on its own weight then too much pressure is applied to the outer bearing race and that will cause drag.

The bearing should not need to be coaxed into the the diff.

The new mold is smoother and addresses this concern.

These parts are standard in the TC4.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

rcinsight- I saw that ad. I tried doing it. It worked but I found that it was eaiser buying new cases. I needed them anyway but it was a lot easier.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

there is a lot more than just dremeling...

make sure your bearings are clean, and your cvd's aren't binding...

dont over tighten down the bearing support in front of the spur gear. just snug the cases dont crank them down...

build the case in your hand, then install the whole module in the car...

i dremeled every place a bearing rides...

cleaning the carpet fibres from the bearings makes a big difference. I run with no bearing seals but rebuild my drivetrain weekly.

If you are running your stock bearings and have never cleaned them, by default they are in thick grease which make the bearing feel smooth, but has a lot of drag... however by cleaning them, you increase the maintenance involved in your bearings.

hope this helps!
Old 10-31-2004, 06:27 AM
Tech Regular

if your car is drifting to the left.. how much toe are you running in the front?..
Old 10-31-2004, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

the car pulling could also mean a bad bearing.. this could also be why u can not get it free enough...
Old 10-31-2004, 06:38 AM
Tech Regular

good catch burbs! i never thought of that...
Old 10-31-2004, 08:17 AM

Each time I reassemble my car I put the bearings on a axel and make sure they spin free. It doesn't take much debris to make them bind.

I've also found the car much more free after running it without any shims anywhere. I doubt shimming it will free it up any.

I assemble the cases in the car, starting from the rear. Once a portion is buttoned up, like the rear diff, spin it and make sure it's free. Ad a CVD-axel assembly, spin it and make sure it's free, and continue through the whole car. I can usually find which part isn't as free this way. I also never tighten anything down, I just tighten the diff case screws until they barely contact the upper case.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

properly shimming is a must.. running without shims wil only shorten the life of the bearings... the little bit of slop the shims take away is very harmfull... it causes un needed force and presure against the bearing... the shim will keep a solid contact and not let it be as abused.. it wont make it spin any more free.. but will assure when it is free it will be longer...
Old 10-31-2004, 11:16 AM
Tech Addict

so im trying to shim the gears so that mesh better to provide longer life once the tranny gets free. I also am getting ceramic bearings, but I will buy the ntc3 cases and see how much that helps. Thanks a lot.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Post cases..

Originally posted by runnin rc10
so im trying to shim the gears so that mesh better to provide longer life once the tranny gets free. I also am getting ceramic bearings, but I will buy the ntc3 cases and see how much that helps. Thanks a lot.
if you do get the ntc3 cases . make sure you chk that the shock towers fit correctly .. make sure the mounting screws are correct ,, I changed cases and had problems mounting the shock towers ..
Old 11-01-2004, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

u don't need to get new ones, just some patience and guidance working with your existing ones...

I have first gen RTR ones, and it spins freer than the guys that have switched to the ntc3 ones, and even the tc4 ones onthe new cars...

why spend more money on something that can be accomplished for free with a little time and patience?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.