Like Tree20Likes

Touring car newb - need to replace TC4

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 12:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Touring car newb - need to replace TC4

Hi-
My local track has a run what you bring touring car course. I am looking a roller ($200 range) to replace my old TC4.
The new AE cars are way to expensive. Some of the choices seem to be a used AE, XRay, HPI and new Sakura?
I would like to get something that is decent and has good parts support. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks

Last edited by kenmtb; 09-28-2018 at 02:45 AM.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Can't really go wrong with an XRAY T4. I have a 2016 and all the plastic parts that normally break (and breaking is a rarity in most classes except 17.5 and mod) are still the same on the current 2018. They're probably compatible through the entire T4 range really.
dave-man and kenmtb like this.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kenmtb
Hi-
My local track has a run what you bring touring car course. I am looking a roller ($200 range) to replace my old TC4.
The new AE cars are way to expensive. Some of the choices seem to be a used AE, XRay, HPI and new Sakura?
I would like to get something that is decent and has good parts support. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks
here you go the kit is very competitive out of the box

Execute XQ1S 1/10 Sport Touring Car Kit #XP-90006 - Car Kit
Old 09-28-2018, 06:06 AM
Tech Master

Cant go wrong with Sakura
The XI Sport is a great choice to get started with, competitive in stock classes out of the box, endless upgrades available, 4 US distributors so parts are really easy to find and all that for $110, make sure you get the newest version. If you want to spend more, the new 2K18 @ $260 is the best bang for ur buck.

3RACING XI SPORT NU
3 Racing Sakura XI Sport

3RACING Sakura Advance 2K18 EVO

I made the switch from a TC4 to a XI Sport several years ago and never looked back

kenmtb likes this.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:44 AM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moparSRT
Cant go wrong with Sakura
The XI Sport is a great choice to get started with, competitive in stock classes out of the box, endless upgrades available, 4 US distributors so parts are really easy to find and all that for $110, make sure you get the newest version. If you want to spend more, the new 2K18 @ $260 is the best bang for ur buck.

I made the switch from a TC4 to a XI Sport several years ago and never looked back

Out of stock. Imagine that!
kenmtb likes this.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It is in stock at TQ though. https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/prod...asp?p_id=13689

The cheap touring cars all have concessions to price in them. They also, all have better ground clearance and lower CG than the TC4 you're coming from.

I have eight or ten packs on my Sakura XI Sport Ver.NU. And I can conclusively say, that I like it. The fact you can get parts from multiple sources is a really nice thing too. The Ver.NU comes with swaybars.

The Express XQ1s is a good option too. It's a better kit. But to get the better kit, they had to cut some corners. Plastic shock bodies, significantly less adjust-ability. Fewer places to get parts that don't start with Dinball.com. It also doesn't come with swaybars. The fact it comes with the tools you need, both "actual tools" and setup tools, is a big bonus in my book.

Make your choice based on the ability to get parts, I think. The cars are very, very, similar.

You may also consider the Ghost18. The VBC Ghost18 is $200, and shows it. It's got metal bulkheads, and many more places to mount the inner suspension upper links. If you know a car out there has a geometry you like, there's a better chance you can make it happen with the Ghost18. What you gain in chassis "quality" you lose in the manual. The Ghost18 manual is pretty terrible.

You might also consider the Tamiya TA07. It's in the $200 class. And it will have the best parts availablity, period. It uses tamiyas TRF dangly bits (knuckles, arms, etc..) so no matter what you break, it's likely someone at the track is a tamiya nut, and has those parts. It has metal body shocks. But by the time you have something you really want to drive, it may be a $3-400 all told setup. (I know mine is...)
kenmtb likes this.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:36 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Have you considered going with used. You can find incredible deals on previous years model. Even complete ready to go vehicles. I’ve bought s Serpent 4x,Awesomatix, and T4 used in past year.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JC3
Out of stock. Imagine that!
integy has some in stock

RaceVTA will have another batch soon
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Nerobro
It is in stock at TQ though. ...
JC3 was referring to the 2K18 EVO .... the XI is available just about everywhere
JC3 likes this.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:05 AM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Have you considered going with used. You can find incredible deals on previous years model. Even complete ready to go vehicles. I’ve bought s Serpent 4x,Awesomatix, and T4 used in past year.
This is 100% the way to go, for all your RC needs and even spare parts to some degree. RCTech rules when it comes to buying excellent used equipment!
Old 09-28-2018, 12:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JC3
This is 100% the way to go, for all your RC needs and even spare parts to some degree. RCTech rules when it comes to buying excellent used equipment!
There is just that special something opening a new kit and building it yourself, I for one don't like inheriting others peoples problems ... no different then a used car, comes with the good & bad.
Nerobro, urban and gigaplex like this.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

you can get a used tc7.1 all day on here for about $200. I just got my used tc7.1 on here a few months ago for $220 shipped with 2 custom bodies and 2 set of tires.
JC3 likes this.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

if you want a older kit, you can get a brand new ULTIMATE 2014 for under $190 shipped direct from 3Racing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3RACING-KIT...QAAOSwIjJZR3TT
Old 09-28-2018, 12:27 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Please disregard all prior posts and let bert explain the almighty benefits of the TC4 platform.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moparSRT
There is just that special something opening a new kit and building it yourself, I for one don't like inheriting others peoples problems ... no different then a used car, comes with the good & bad.
I will buy new to avoid f'n PO problems. If I buy used, it better be dirt cheap, or I better know it's history. The T4 I just bought, I know both POs, and trust them. The build also teaches you to fix a given car. Which.. is mighty useful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.