Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Losi Mini 8ight-T Build - Leopard Motor 4S

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 04:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fliiix
I've been looking all over the place, and where the hell can you buy these? (Neu)
Go to neumotors.com -> Motors -> 1100 Series

Find the motor you want, then email the company. They got back to me and placed my order quickly, but each motor is hand wound so it takes a few weeks before you'll actually have it in hand.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by targetingxmod
what tires are those? Can post a link where to buy, brand model?

I see that the servo mount on the motor side in where? Is there a 0.5cm space between motor and servo? Why not keeping the servo mount to?

That is the 68mm lenght motor right?
http://www.amain.com/xceed-rc-30mm-e...85286?v=208461

I had to cut off that side of the servo mount to fit the motor. There is no space left at all. I'm using 3M double sided tape on that side of the servo. If I remember correctly the can is actually a few mm shorter than 68 mm, but the motor shaft sticks out a few mm.

Originally Posted by EggsnBacon
I can't get my mini 8T to stop wheelie-ing every time I try to hit max speed. I have a wheelie bar, its riding fairly low, but I'm using off road tires and the slipper is tight. Once it's up to speed the wind just catches the chassis and flips it over like Mark Webber's Mercedes Le Mans car. I can get to about 80-90% max throttle but once I go up to 100% it's just too much.
How tight is your slipper? My truggy never wheelies.

Originally Posted by EggsnBacon
This is on the mini 8 truggy, you can see in the picture that there is plenty of room between this motor and the servo mount. The buggy might not be able to fit this one in it.

As for the shaft: no! Lol I know all about the "ain't nothin to it but to do it" attitude when it comes to machining or even general maintenance on everyday things, but I have to be able to be proud and happy with what I accomplish. I haven't seen a method of grinding the shaft (or boring a pinion due to the grub screws stripping out when there isn't enough material left on the hub) that is "acceptable" to me. I would need to take the motor shaft out of the motor and turn it on a lathe to get it proper, and then mount it to cut a flat spot for a set screw. I have access to a lathe and mill but not all the mounting tools yet so I would rather pay 40 bucks for a pinion than spend a day getting everything perfect. The biggest issue I have with grinding the shaft is the amount of stress risers it introduces. It would have to be polished back to a smooth surface to regain its strength.
This took me about 5 minutes with a dremel. It has worked perfect for me.

4mm shaft ground down to 3.17mm

Flat spot

Originally Posted by Fliiix
I've been looking all over the place, and where the hell can you buy these? (Neu)
Esprit Model has some as well.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:06 PM
Tech Master

80.7 mph speed run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co4UU-_mZQc
Old 11-30-2014, 12:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 0verkill
Nice man, one fast mini - afaik the fastest documented mini 8ight? What's the temps on the battery and motor? Wondering if it's really topping out, based on the kv and gearing you should see higher speeds if the batteries and motor can pull it (and car doesn't go take-off ), no?
Old 11-30-2014, 03:11 AM
Tech Elite

Nice speed!
And it's just a one pass? Or can you empty the batery with motor not in thermal shutdown temperatures?
I am wanting to know that... if on 35T 45T gearing that motor is extremelly hot with one pass, or with 5,10,15,20 minutes of doing that like on the video....

Just make sure to proof it in photos or in video that 80mph

I believe you achived it! Just like to see the proof!

That 35T is a Robinson Racing pinion?
Old 11-30-2014, 04:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Been out of town for a bit, I see everybody is hopping on board the big motor train in the m8t!! Hey, I saw the post on mega motors, one are the highest end edf motors I could find next to tp power and my voltron that everyone seems to think is junk Please let us know how that goes!!! It looks like a rebranded lehner.

Speaking of lehner, why is no one using them over neu motors? Lehner is far superior in every way from the research I've done and very, very similar in price.

EXOTEK, WHERE IS OUR TOP PLATE!!???!!????
Old 11-30-2014, 06:36 AM
Tech Addict

Lehners are very nice, but personally I cannot justify paying so much for a motor when there's alternative that cost a third or less and get me at least two third or more of the performance. Those last couple of percentages extra performance just come with too high of a price tag for the playing around I do.

Who says your Voltron is junk? I just thought the Coca-Cola font was kind of funny. Just promote your motor a bit more with some more pics and successful high speed fun (nice build thread?) and I'm sure more people will follow.

Cheers!
Old 11-30-2014, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lemonader83
Been out of town for a bit, I see everybody is hopping on board the big motor train in the m8t!! Hey, I saw the post on mega motors, one are the highest end edf motors I could find next to tp power and my voltron that everyone seems to think is junk Please let us know how that goes!!! It looks like a rebranded lehner.

Speaking of lehner, why is no one using them over neu motors? Lehner is far superior in every way from the research I've done and very, very similar in price.

EXOTEK, WHERE IS OUR TOP PLATE!!???!!????
Lhener, is excelent with it's price tag equivalent! But there are alternativates of 1/3 of the price that do even more or equal in torque /speed! Dificult times.

Why have a "lamborghini" if a "wrx sti" makes the same torque or speed?
Just a "tie" tag price? I really do like Lhener's... but never bought one!

I didn't say the Voltron is Junk... just need to see it in action with more pictures and specially good videos to see what is all about! Heck, even TP Power motors that i didn't know anything now i am a big fan of them!
Old 11-30-2014, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

No offense taken, people just seemed extremely doubtful. I will say it gets quite warm at low speeds but once I up the air flow it cools off pretty nicely.

So I just had an upgrade festival. I installed all the spindles and carriers from hot racing, all went on flawlessly. Put on the mini 8ight-t steering rack from exotek, not impressed. Doesn't work with the stock hardware and without that it's a balancing act of figuring out the right tightness without ruining the steering speed. All in all, stock is better. Bummer exotek.... I also installed the gpm motor mount, that went well, everything fits snug and it slides so much better than stock. Lastly, I added the hot racing merv spur and that seems to be good too, just had to put a spacer between the spur and the bearing.

Pics to come once I get things fit right, just wanted to send out a "beware" on the exotek piece, that was surprisingly bad from a company that's usually on point.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:42 AM
Tech Adept

What are you guys talking about? Like the Lehner motors are 200€+.. =O
Old 11-30-2014, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dr_T
Nice man, one fast mini - afaik the fastest documented mini 8ight? What's the temps on the battery and motor? Wondering if it's really topping out, based on the kv and gearing you should see higher speeds if the batteries and motor can pull it (and car doesn't go take-off ), no?
The motor was barely warm and I didn't check the battery. As far as going faster..

Ride height
It's already lower that stock from the small diameter tires. I actually tried lowering it further and it did not work at all because the chassis was scraping every little thing on the road.

Gearing
A 40T pinion gear might fit if you were to open those slots to the max.

Range
I'm using a basic transmitter and receiver. I higher range radio system would allow you to have more distance to stay wide open throttle for longer. Of course you may need binoculars to see this tiny little car from that far.

Wing
My wing is stock. I know if you open up the wing at 200 mph it makes a big difference in top speed. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes at 80 mph.

Originally Posted by targetingxmod
Nice speed!
And it's just a one pass? Or can you empty the batery with motor not in thermal shutdown temperatures?
I am wanting to know that... if on 35T 45T gearing that motor is extremelly hot with one pass, or with 5,10,15,20 minutes of doing that like on the video....

Just make sure to proof it in photos or in video that 80mph

I believe you achived it! Just like to see the proof!

That 35T is a Robinson Racing pinion?
I made passes back and forth for 20 minutes and the motor was barely warm. Yes, it's Robinson Racing. The spur gear is in perfect shape as well.

Originally Posted by lemonader83
No offense taken, people just seemed extremely doubtful. I will say it gets quite warm at low speeds but once I up the air flow it cools off pretty nicely.

So I just had an upgrade festival. I installed all the spindles and carriers from hot racing, all went on flawlessly. Put on the mini 8ight-t steering rack from exotek, not impressed. Doesn't work with the stock hardware and without that it's a balancing act of figuring out the right tightness without ruining the steering speed. All in all, stock is better. Bummer exotek.... I also installed the gpm motor mount, that went well, everything fits snug and it slides so much better than stock. Lastly, I added the hot racing merv spur and that seems to be good too, just had to put a spacer between the spur and the bearing.

Pics to come once I get things fit right, just wanted to send out a "beware" on the exotek piece, that was surprisingly bad from a company that's usually on point.
That's disappointing to hear about the Exotek steering rack. I should be receiving my GPM motor mount pretty soon, does the motor sit at the same exact height?
Old 11-30-2014, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

I made passes back and forth for 20 minutes and the motor was barely warm. Yes, it's Robinson Racing. The spur gear is in perfect shape as well

That's what i exactly needed to know! 35T and 45T gearing and no heat issues whatsoever after 20minutes on 3s.

Well my Neu on 4s can't do that. With no fan it only takes 23T/50T gearing for no heat issues after 20minutes.
But it's on 4s and remember that my tires are way bigger then yours!

As for the gearing i am using right now 31T/45T with those big tires (1/10 buggy diferent from 1/10 on road) it needs a good fan facing rear of motor blowing to keep it HOT at the end of the pack after those 20minutes. With the torque limit enabled it could be warm, but i am still testing that function. But all in all i am using 4s and not 3s.

But sure i am glad that 35T / 45T stays cool after the full pack drops out!

Those TP Power motors are something! and SIZE matters

Congratulations, man! Make more videos
Old 11-30-2014, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T0UvydQYN_w video seemed easier than explaining everything
Old 11-30-2014, 06:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

I can't get through a race day on my mini 8t without breaking a dogbone or bending one to the point that it is unusable. These things are weak, I need the cv shafts (but I've been told they bend as well).

Also I wanted to say that if anyone needs me to mill a chassis just mark it and ship it to me. I can do the milling for cheap just need to cover shipping. PM me if needed. I am currently working on some 3D printed motor supports as well and will report back with results.

Last edited by EggsnBacon; 11-30-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Could anyone tell me how to properly set the slipper on this? I'm only familiar with 2wd buggies. I understand how to do it I just don't know what the appropriate adjustment is/what to look for? Seems this thread has more action than the main

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.