Wiki Posts
Search

23T - It's A Book, Your Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default 23T - It's A Book, Your Opinion

This topic has been discussed before but let's get real on this one. Have you gone to your track lately and you ask your friends, "What are you running?" and you get all kinds of answers. Then the number of racers are also an issue as well (sometimes). So let's say you have 22 guys at a club race. Seven of them are running 12th scale and the remaining 15 are running touring car. The problem, some want to run 27T and some 19T; choose your own numbers (7 to 8, 12 to 3 or what ever). Does it break up the flow of competitiveness or race day? There are some who wish all would race one class when (your local track) is slow. This "slow attendance" seems to be the case at many tracks. Then the new saying fast guys should not run stock comes into to play as well. Back in the day the fast guys ran mod and us club guys ran stock, period, no questions. If you got punted trying to run with the factory mod guys you chose to run with them, shut up and race. Some racers I know have stated that there should be a "new" ROAR class, novice. That's another topic.

The question, "Is 19T really needed?" People don't want to run mod so they go 19T but then that breaks up heats. Many do not like running with 5 guys in one class. Stock is the biggest class at most National events so why not merge the two? Why not do like some in other countries and run 23T. My point is just go to *one* of the motors. For new guys 19T is too fast (heck 27T can be) and some say 27T is too slow. So why not make a compromise and go 23T. If not just 27T as most run that anyway. These are not only my opinions as I writing this from a conversation I had with some other fellow racers.

If not run what you brung and see what happens like some off road guys do in my area. If you can keep it on the track why not. LOL
Old 11-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Isaac
For new guys 19T is too fast (heck 27T can be) and some say 27T is too slow. So why not make a compromise and go 23T.
I think you answered your own question right there. For a lot of new racers 27t is too fast. If you think 27t is slow then move up to 19t or mod. 23t would definitely be too fast for the majority of new racers and that would lead to a lot of frustration and broken parts that might make a new racer give up and quit. Or it would just bring back the silver can class to slow things up and then you would just have the same two classes (27 and 19) just both slowed down a bit.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

I just think 19T should go even though I like it. Too many classes.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

He touched on it a bit...new racers would be put into a Novice class which should have very specific rules for who can be in that class. That would seem to take care of newbies that would have problems with a 23T class. I think the point is to just have a stock and a mod class as to not split up what limited racers we have showing up to local races already into a bunch of different classes. Back in the day, it was electric off-road or 12th scale and stock or mod and there were tons of people at local races all racing together but yeah I know...times have changed and the economy and blah blah...
Old 11-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Sorry but there is not one cut and dry answer. If you get rid of 19t you are forcing 1/3 or so of racers to change and run mod or stock. Some will but some will get angry and leave, and with turnouts as low as thay are at many tracks that would be a very wrong thing.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

My .02 cents

I think that 19T is a good alternative class that people embrassed because of the battery capacity of todays cells. It's faster than Stock but doesn't require the maintenance of Mod. It would be hard to eliminate that class. I think that 19T has already become the the 'new stock'. I think that is the responsibility of the LHS store to have a Novice Class (27T, 23T or 19T) to help build the sport.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris moore
Sorry but there is not one cut and dry answer. If you get rid of 19t you are forcing 1/3 or so of racers to change and run mod or stock. Some will but some will get angry and leave, and with turnouts as low as thay are at many tracks that would be a very wrong thing.
I agree. I also think that it would be easier to eliminate 27T and make everyone run 19T or Mod.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

in 1/12 id run stock if i can run a 13.5
Old 11-05-2007, 12:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

23 turn is just a hair slower than 27t...
Old 11-05-2007, 01:20 AM
Tech Champion

With enough brushless motors to pick from these days, the guys who already have the equipment wont want to spend x amount on old technology and keep rebrushing/ it.

Keep stock for the newbie, 13.5 for the middle class as it has more torque, or even 10.5/19t if the track allows, and outlaw/mod any motor for the pro.

tbh though, it really depends on the size/layout of the track and the number of people racing to detemine which classes best suit the venue. It can be a tough call sometimes what to do for the best, but if it isnt broke dont fix it....
Old 11-05-2007, 01:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett
23 turn is just a hair slower than 27t...
... 23T is faster than 27T... I think..

For me only two class...

1. Beginner or novice (27T or 23T or 13.5BL)
2. Others (mod or outlaw, BL, mamba, Novak, LRP, 6T, Nimh, Nicad, Lipo, A123, rubber, foam .... etc.. anything you want to run, no weight limit, 4WD, 2WD.. as long as it's 1/10th electric with touring shell... )
Old 11-05-2007, 04:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

at most local venues virtually nobody runs mod and so that class seems to have already reserved itself for the factory drivers at the bigger races. that seems appropriate. the 19turn class seems to have garnered alot of interest from the more experienced racers and it's a great compromise of enough speed to make things extra interesting without being so much power that it's too hard to deal with for "mortals". This seems like the ideal class for advanced and experienced club racers. It provides a class to run without worry about running overtop of the newer guys who are doing the best that they can. That would leave stock for the newer racers with less experience or for those who just don't want to deal with the speed and power of faster motors and a bit more wear and tear on the cars. At this point, the bigger question seems to be brushed vs brushless. For better or for worse, the brushless seems to be gradually taking hold and it's silly to think that progress (or maybe you prefer the word evolution) can be held back. I'd like to see them run together (10.5's with the 19's and the 13.5's with the stocks). The most serious dudes can pick whichever type of motor they think gives them the best advantage (something those interested in trophies and titles will always do), while the rest of us can pick brushed or brushless depending on our personal preference. In any event, and no matter which class or type of motor you choose,...........the real key is for everybody to just pick something they enjoy and to come on out and play.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:14 AM
Tech Elite

I agree with vafactor. I just wish most would run one class so that classes would not be spread thin. As far as brushless and Lipo if it was totally legal I would not run anything else.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grizzle
... 23T is faster than 27T... I think..

For me only two class...

1. Beginner or novice (27T or 23T or 13.5BL)
2. Others (mod or outlaw, BL, mamba, Novak, LRP, 6T, Nimh, Nicad, Lipo, A123, rubber, foam .... etc.. anything you want to run, no weight limit, 4WD, 2WD.. as long as it's 1/10th electric with touring shell... )
23t is slower, it is on a full stack armature, 27t has a whole different stack,
23t has torque on the 27t but overall a 27 is faster, the reason they run 23t is because they are all basically the same speed, one motor isnt way faster than another.....and they still have bushings
Old 11-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

silver can - novice
stock - 27T - 13.5 BLs
Open Mod

DONE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.