Competitive 4wd SCT >

Competitive 4wd SCT

Like Tree6Likes

Competitive 4wd SCT

Old 06-11-2019, 05:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Competitive 4wd SCT

Looking to pick up a 4wd SCT for racing. What are the current competitive kits? Or are we between releases and better to wait? Would be running primarily on outdoor clay and sometimes dirt. Most of these tracks are mainly ebuggy tracks but run 4wd 1/10. A couple are primarily 1/10. Would like something that can run any of these with minimal setup changes. I can get local parts support for most any of the big brands. I currently run Losi, AE, and XRay stuff if that helps the choice. What does everyone like?
Old 06-11-2019, 05:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darkstorm05
Looking to pick up a 4wd SCT for racing. What are the current competitive kits? Or are we between releases and better to wait? Would be running primarily on outdoor clay and sometimes dirt. Most of these tracks are mainly ebuggy tracks but run 4wd 1/10. A couple are primarily 1/10. Would like something that can run any of these with minimal setup changes. I can get local parts support for most any of the big brands. I currently run Losi, AE, and XRay stuff if that helps the choice. What does everyone like?
You have two choices right now , losi and Tekno. If it was me I would go with the Tekno but thats me.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RClos17
You have two choices right now , losi and Tekno. If it was me I would go with the Tekno but thats me.
What do you personally like more about the Tekno? I know a few run at each track I frequent but I've never worked with one before myself.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I had a TLR scte 3.0 and my goodness I hated it! lol the truck itself was great, I just couldn't drive it, or more specifically, I could not jump it, now I am in no way blaming the truck, I just couldn't master it. that being said, damn! did that thing take a beating, it was soooooooo dependable. I say go with the scte 3.0
Old 06-11-2019, 09:53 PM
Tech Initiate

two words

TRAXXAS SLASH....

....in reality, there are really only two competitive short course 4x4 trucks on the market.

TLR SCTE...2.0 or 3.0
or
Tekno sct410.3

Dont waste your money on anything else....and definitely avoid a slash 4x4 if you want to be competitive. trust me. i drive one and it cost way too much and it is still not competitive.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I would pick the Tekno. Here's why. Both cars are tanks and extremely durable and both can be setup to work extremely well. However, the SCTE platform is annoying in the fact that it uses partially standard and partially metric screws and metric bearing which means you need both sets of drivers.
​​​​​​
Old 06-12-2019, 04:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I have both SCT410.1 and SCTE3.0 and SCTE3.0 is better for my driving style. Our local track can't beat the tekno sponsor driver when i have the SCT410.3 then when i bought SCTE3.0 i beat the tekno driver sponsor many times so i sold my tekno.
SCT410.1 better for outdoor
SCTE3.0 better for indoor
chucko likes this.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

+1 for the TEKNO SCT410

I have raced my SCT410.1 on both indoor turf and outdoor dirt and no problem in my area with maintaining the same corner speed with other Losi drivers.

Unfortunately the 4WD Mini Truggy class replaced 4WD SCT class in our area so my SCT410.1 is just collecting dust these days, but I do plan to run it on a small indoor carpet track next month in MO for a regional race event, so I look forward to seeing how it does there
Old 06-12-2019, 07:07 AM
Tech Adept

I really like my Losi buggies but adding the 3.0 with all those mixed measurement bolts is a bit of a hassle. I thought the SCTE 3.0 would be close to the B4.0 in nature and be all metric. On the other hand I see a lot of people saying that the SCT410.3 is a major pain to get to a working base setup, and requires a lot of upgrade parts out of the box. Is that true, or is easier than some make it out to be?
Old 06-12-2019, 07:33 AM
Tech Champion

I really like my Losi buggies but adding the 3.0 with all those mixed measurement bolts is a bit of a hassle. I thought the SCTE 3.0 would be close to the B4.0 in nature and be all metric. On the other hand I see a lot of people saying that the SCT410.3 is a major pain to get to a working base setup, and requires a lot of upgrade parts out of the box. Is that true, or is easier than some make it out to be?
For the dirt track in my area I have found the EB48 front springs to work well for me to get the truck to jump properly, many folks have had nose dive issues due to using kit springs, really a shame they haven't addressed this. With the EB48 front springs on the rear of my truck, it flies like a champ! Only other upgrade necessary is aluminum A block which used to come standard with the .1 kit and the .3 kit comes with plastic blocks all around. I have helped setup a handful of .3's in my area and they are fantastic trucks to drive, only reason I haven't upgraded my .1 to a .3 is because the class died out in my area
Old 06-12-2019, 09:17 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by billdelong
For the dirt track in my area I have found the EB48 front springs to work well for me to get the truck to jump properly, many folks have had nose dive issues due to using kit springs, really a shame they haven't addressed this. With the EB48 front springs on the rear of my truck, it flies like a champ! Only other upgrade necessary is aluminum A block which used to come standard with the .1 kit and the .3 kit comes with plastic blocks all around. I have helped setup a handful of .3's in my area and they are fantastic trucks to drive, only reason I haven't upgraded my .1 to a .3 is because the class died out in my area
So in your opinion, it would be mostly ready to go with a set of springs, and swapping the plastic block to aluminum? That isn't too bad. Especially since it's currently cheaper than the Losi kit.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:21 AM
Tech Regular

If you want to spend some $, and play a bit, convert a et410 to a Shortcourse. Pound or Two lighter. Less slop in drivetrain. Quiet. Nice Suspension.
suzukipro likes this.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:14 AM
Tech Champion

So in your opinion, it would be mostly ready to go with a set of springs, and swapping the plastic block to aluminum? That isn't too bad. Especially since it's currently cheaper than the Losi kit.
Yes sir, that is correct, plus TEKNO offers a lifetime 50% warranty for any broken parts you mail into them with no questions asked.

Originally Posted by sea1swk
If you want to spend some $, and play a bit, convert a et410 to a Shortcourse. Pound or Two lighter. Less slop in drivetrain. Quiet. Nice Suspension.
For a track with big air, you can't beat the durability of the SCT410, maybe upgrade to a TBone Racing front bumper if you take a lot of nasty nose dives.

Only concern I have with the ET410 conversion is the bulkheads.... granted I rarely broke a bulkhead on my ET410 when I used to own one, but would tend to bust a bulkhead or bend a supension arm pin with every new track layout change when learning new jump features. For a smaller indoor track I think the ET410 conversion might work well, it's just not as durable as the SCT410 is.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by billdelong
Yes sir, that is correct, plus TEKNO offers a lifetime 50% warranty for any broken parts you mail into them with no questions asked.

For a track with big air, you can't beat the durability of the SCT410, maybe upgrade to a TBone Racing front bumper if you take a lot of nasty nose dives.

Only concern I have with the ET410 conversion is the bulkheads.... granted I rarely broke a bulkhead on my ET410 when I used to own one, but would tend to bust a bulkhead or bend a supension arm pin with every new track layout change when learning new jump features. For a smaller indoor track I think the ET410 conversion might work well, it's just not as durable as the SCT410 is.
I've raced a couple of sct410.3, and 100% agree. Nothing is as durable. If I were going to race outdoor, big track and big air, nothing else I would run (well I may try my et410sct for fun). As far as my et410sct, that I only race indoor clay, I have not broken any bulkhead. I have actually recently broke 3 rear bulkheads on my et410. Nasty jump where I was flipping and hitting badly on the rear shock tower. I think the full Shortcourse Body and Bumpers, tend to actually help the et410sct, to be a bit more durable. In no way would I want to do a head on crash with a sct410.3. Probably could take on SCTE3.0, head on.
billdelong likes this.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Be cautious what you read, we have 20 SCT’s in my clubs, all the top ones are Losi SCTE, mine has had 8 rough race meetings and nothing even looks like breaking, no slop no wear, I have a friend with Techno and he wishes he had purchased Losi, I can’t see why different screws cause problems.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.