Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Do clutch shoes & bell need to be replaced ? >

Do clutch shoes & bell need to be replaced ?

Like Tree2Likes

Do clutch shoes & bell need to be replaced ?

Old 05-10-2019, 06:27 PM
Tech Adept

Default Do clutch shoes & bell need to be replaced ?

How much life can you get out of clutch shoes and a clutch bell ? Does the bell eventually wear out and need to be replaced too ?

On the shoes i’ve already filled the edges back down smooth once before, and cleaned a lot of metal shavings off the bell before as well. After my last run it didn’t feel like my clutch was engaging quick and buggy (nb48.3) wasn’t as responsive on acceleration like it normally is. It also sounded like metal grinding on metal noise when accelerating, not sure if this could be lack of traction, since track was in poor condition or if my clutch needs some rebuilding. See the pics I have attached, these are the stock shoes, bell and springs. Any advice is appreciated. Thanksu

Old 05-10-2019, 07:54 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shady3275
How much life can you get out of clutch shoes and a clutch bell ? Does the bell eventually wear out and need to be replaced too ?

On the shoes i’ve already filled the edges back down smooth once before, and cleaned a lot of metal shavings off the bell before as well. After my last run it didn’t feel like my clutch was engaging quick and buggy (nb48.3) wasn’t as responsive on acceleration like it normally is. It also sounded like metal grinding on metal noise when accelerating, not sure if this could be lack of traction, since track was in poor condition or if my clutch needs some rebuilding. See the pics I have attached, these are the stock shoes, bell and springs. Any advice is appreciated. Thanksu

I would say yes, adam drake has a video on measuring wear and when to replace losi or copied clutch.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

The shoes look pretty worn. I'd replace those.
And I maintain the inside of the clutchbell with a dremel every time I replace the shoes. Just keep going around in circles until the metal that's stuck to it is gone.
Shady3275 likes this.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by morgoth
The shoes look pretty worn. I'd replace those.
And I maintain the inside of the clutchbell with a dremel every time I replace the shoes. Just keep going around in circles until the metal that's stuck to it is gone.

Does anyone have a link to drakes video ? I’ve looked and I can’t find one regarding clutch Maintenace or when to replace clutch shoes.

ive got a new set of shoes I’m gonna go ahead and replace them. I was a bit concerned about the clutch bell, is that normal to have a large build up of metal shavings ?

Also so should I go ahead and replace the springs to, is the rule of thumb to replace both at the same time ?
Old 05-11-2019, 04:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shady3275

Does anyone have a link to drakes video ? I’ve looked and I can’t find one regarding clutch Maintenace or when to replace clutch shoes.

ive got a new set of shoes I’m gonna go ahead and replace them. I was a bit concerned about the clutch bell, is that normal to have a large build up of metal shavings ?

Also so should I go ahead and replace the springs to, is the rule of thumb to replace both at the same time ?
I looked too! Can’t find it myself. Anyone?
Old 05-11-2019, 09:47 PM
Suspended

I see 99% of the losi/tlr vids of adam are now deleted... send him a message he will still answer
Old 05-12-2019, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Whoo it looks like u had fun with those shoes. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten anywhere near that amount of time on a clutch, I’ve pished a set back in the day 2 gallons and it was smoked. Yours looks to have atleast 3 gallons maybe even 4. I’ve had days where a set of shoes are done just in 1 day so yes u do need to really maintain your clutch, filing it down is great but after 1-2 times of that u gotta change them. And also your clutch Bell should be changed when u start seeing the teeth get chewed up from use. Again I’ve had days where the clutch Bell was under so much torque from an aluminum center diff mount that it ruined the Bell putting notches in each tooth. U can’t miss that lol just roll the buggy n u will hear it.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

I always go with 23.5mm. Under this I replace the clutch.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
as in, the depth of what remains of the shoe? But where do you measure for this? In the end, middle, etc??
Old 05-12-2019, 03:24 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by token
do you have a link for new clutch shoes, odd to post and not put a link.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by iplaygames
do you have a link for new clutch shoes, odd to post and not put a link.
Sure because I'm not a butt. AND I don't drive this brand - have a great day....
https://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr5350-flywheel-4-shoe/
https://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr5351...pcs-nb48-nt48/
https://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr4215...bell-15t-nb48/
https://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr5353...set-nb48-nt48/
Old 05-13-2019, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I didn’t want to speculate with mm cause I couldn’t remember what I remember being exact but 23.5 is only .5 mm from what I remember when I was trying to think of how much I remember hearing. So I would say 23.5 is right. U take calipers and measure from pad to pad where they wear. The difference in new shoes to old is not much and I don’t know how much different from brand to brand there could (possibly) be which I don’t think there should be any because clutch bells are pretty standard size if I’m not wrong? I would say yours are like in the 22s lmao. Good job getting time on them tho that’s sick!!

also I am running losi. Different brand but again I think clutch bells might have a universally simalar size between brands!
Old 05-19-2019, 06:05 AM
Tech Adept

I had new shoes and springs. I’ve just never replaced them since building my kit. I didn’t know if I was at the it’s time to change them or if I was long overdue. Thanks for all of the info. I went ahead and put new springs in too, and smoothed our the inside of the clutch bell.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:19 AM
Tech Adept

How often do you nitro racers usually replace the bearings in the clutch bell ? I went to put in a new inner bearing, and I was replacing with a protek 5x13x4mm and after installing the new bearing my clutch bell wouldn’t spin near as fast as it did with the original bearing. I went to take it off and the bearing was seated very tightly on my engines crankshaft, it was rather hard to get off the crankshaft , do these clutch bell bearings take a little while to “break in” so the bell will spin fast ?
Old 05-19-2019, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It depends on the bearings. I've had TKOs last gallons. I don't change them before races anymore. All other bearings I've tried can blow out at any time. Especially if you've got a lot of chassis flex.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.