Considering getting into electric, need some advice on chargers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Considering getting into electric, need some advice on chargers

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 04:34 PM
Tech Addict

If cash is tight I would say the Millenium Pro & power supply from your friend is a good deal, shop around for a second hand discharger.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:44 PM
Tech Addict

Whats the diffrence between the 16x5v6 and the 16x5BL, other than that amount of cells they can charge? I could get the 16x5BL with a power supply for $245 but I could also get the 16x5v6 with the 10A SHE power supply for the same price, both of which are out of my price range.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:47 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by JohnA
If cash is tight I would say the Millenium Pro & power supply from your friend is a good deal, shop around for a second hand discharger.
Im having second thoughts about that, he's not exactly the type person who takes good care of his things and I havent seen it in almost a year so who knows what he could have done to it since then, even though he's says its only been used once or twice. It would give me more money to buy batterys with though.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Yea your right there but it is a NICE charger.
If I were you Instead of buying a Pitbull,then a power supply and then a discharger simply get a Quasar or a Integy 16x7.Reason being to get a power supply for most people is the benefit of getting one big enough to run more than 1 charger.
This will leave you with less to carry and you could break that 1500 up into 3-4 cells and be done with it.
Goodluck with your decision.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

True Tex, I was kinda hesitant of recommending that 10A but he didn't say he would be using multi chargers and I wanted to stay within $200 with QUALITY components.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:57 PM
Tech Adept

Default Cycling packs

Wow great discussion on chargers. I to am looking for a new charger and have been doing a lot of reading and I have narrowed it down to the Novak Millennium Pro, CE Pit-bull, LRP, and the Integy 16x7v6. My question is on cycling a battery pack. I know that the Integy is the only one with a cycle function, but correct me if I am wrong. When a battery pack is cycled, it’s it just charged and then discharged at a set amperage? For example, if the battery number say to charge at 5amp and discharge at 30amps. Now if I charge the battery at 5amps and then use a discharger (I have a Tekin Digital Discharger that can handle 30amp with a cutoff voltage of 5.4V) about 2-5 minutes after the pack has been fully charged, is that considered “cycling” the cells. Or does the charger do something special to “cycle” the pack. Does NiMH batteries need cycling?
Old 10-13-2003, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Dayten just to help you out you just listed 4 chargers but one of them 4 has a built in Power Supply being the 16x7.If you already have a power supply for the other chargers then go the 16x5 or CDC charger(Same thing)without Integy's VESC technology.
I will say I like the Pitbull better than the Mill and Pulsar expecially if you have a discharger.
Goodluck with your purchases's guys.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:13 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by AE Racer
First of all, Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it.

The CE pitbull seems very popular and is priced very cheaply compared to the others so its my #1 choice right now. Has anyone besides disaster999 had fuse blowing problems, or does that just have somthing to do with his name. ...
haha..its just me! i always mess up when im plugging the charge leds. switching them round so i always blow the fuse! i bought 25 fuse for the pitbull, my roomate thinks im crazy, but then...everytime i use it..i blow one! hahaha...so theres nothing wrong with the charge..its just plain ol' me im a DISASTER
Old 10-13-2003, 09:19 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by AE Racer
Looks like a great charger, but once I add in the money for a power supply its out of my pricerange by alot, I would spend more but Im also buying a car and the other things needed to get started in electric.
just get on ebay and you could probably get a powersupply for like...20 bucks! 13amps, enough juice to power 2 chargers! nice deal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2563

check it out! my friend bought this and he loves it..its small and light...most importantly..CHEAP!
Old 10-13-2003, 09:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I had a Quasar Pro and it was OK but would false peak every now and then when I ran it off of AC - it never false peaked when I ran it off of a DC power supply.

I picked up a used Millenium Pro and N-Power for $120.00 and it charged so much better I hunted around for another one. At this point I may sell my 2 N-Powers and buy 1 Rivergate 30 amp PS. As far as the chargers go - they work awesome and they charge my reciever packs just fine too.

You can either get a bulb discharger with a cut-off or check out the Integy Indi Reactor 30 - no bulbs to break, very small and compact, $39.99 at KTHobbies.

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2003, 03:56 AM
Tech Master

Hey what do you guys think of this charger
http://www.duratrax.com/caraccys/dtxp4005.html
I was browsing through the Duratrax website and found it....
Old 10-14-2003, 04:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by sausage_link
Hey what do you guys think of this charger
http://www.duratrax.com/caraccys/dtxp4005.html
I was browsing through the Duratrax website and found it....
Piranha aint got the best reputation....

Buy the best charger you can afford from the very beginning - in the long run it'll save you money compared to the packs ruined with a bad charger. In addition, you'll get better performance too.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I had been using a Tekin BC112C and BC112A (with upgraded software) since they were first introduced back in the early '90s and it was probably the best charger available not including the Competition Electronics Turbo chargers.

However, when Tekin released its chargers, NiMh batteries weren't being used only NiCd. So the Tekin didn't have the adjustable Delta Peak feature.

Anyway, I recently decided it was time to upgrade so I was going through the same thing you are right now. Charger? AC/DC? Power Supply?

I decided on the LRP Competition Pro, and I'm glad that I did! This charger is easy to use/adjust. Provides complete information, compact size, built in cooling fan, and reliable. To top it all off, it looks nice too.

The only other charger I've ever owned was the Novak (very briefly), but I quickly sold it for reasons that I can't recall right now.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by stumper1
I had a Quasar Pro and it was OK but would false peak every now and then when I ran it off of AC - it never false peaked when I ran it off of a DC power supply.

I picked up a used Millenium Pro and N-Power for $120.00 and it charged so much better I hunted around for another one. At this point I may sell my 2 N-Powers and buy 1 Rivergate 30 amp PS. As far as the chargers go - they work awesome and they charge my reciever packs just fine too.

You can either get a bulb discharger with a cut-off or check out the Integy Indi Reactor 30 - no bulbs to break, very small and compact, $39.99 at KTHobbies.

Good luck!
You ever thought that the false peaking is caused my power spikes ?? or something along those lines... If it only does it on AC then thats pretty probable.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:02 AM
Tech Addict

I just had to get a new charger because my older (but top of the line in its day) Tekin 5A peak charger, blew up at my last race. My budget was also about 200$, and the best charger for 200$ is the:

Integy 16x7v6

it can do 6.5 amp charge, and a 30amp discharge which is the key. Ask all the big time cell matchers, and they will tell you in order to get the best performance out of your 3300s, you need between 5.5 and 6amp charge, and 30 amp discharge. You can also set all your cutoffs etc with this charger too... real nice.

There is a new in box Integy 16x7v6 on the classifieds board here for like 170, there is one new on ebay for like 170, and I bought mine right from speedtechrc.com for 189.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.