Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2895Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by terry.sc
Japan has never stopped racing f1, so they have always used wide cars, and even though Tamiya stopped making them there were still a lot of Japanese companies making F103 size chassis.

Certainly here in the UK F1s used to be really popular all through the 90s with many race series being run and many of us have old F1s from back then but nowhere to race them as there was no supply of F1s for newcomers.
F1 came back in the UK thanks to the release of the 3Racing F109, suddenly we had a car that was readily available with a plentiful supply of spares at a reasonable price. The F104 Pro was very expensive and parts were difficult or impossible to get. The F109 was available for £95 while the F104Pro cost £240, so a no brainer which car to buy.

F1 in the UK is an indoor class, so it's somewhat easier to race on foams, especially as rubber seems to be all about having the right rubber tyres or you are uncompetitive while the kit F109 foams are cheap with lots of grip. This has obviously driven the rules towards foam and wide cars as that is what we were already running. Even those running outdoors used the F109 kit foams with a set of Superions for wet weather use.

In the US the rules seem to be driven by UF1, which runs outdoors and has decided to run narrow cars on rubber. US drivers seem to be buying cars to fit the rules, while over here the rules had to be formed based on what we were already using. We do run narrow cars on rubber in their own class, but in last years national championship it only got one entry for one round and I don't expect it to be that popular this time round either.

As for the use of the word "scale", the wide cars are just as scale as the narrow cars, just from a different era. This year we have named the two classes 'modern' for narrow/rubber cars and 'retro' for wide/foam cars to differentiate them, although we haven't gone as far as insisting narrow cars must run modern bodies and retro cars must run retro shells.
Most of the UF1 drivers prefer to race on rubber tires.
This works well with the narrow "modern" F1 look.

We did have a scale, wide foam class for a few years in the UF1 series, due to lack of entires it was dropped in favour of the modern format.

For what ever reason, there is a stigma against foam tires on F1 cars in the states, I see the point of scale looking tires, and no truing, but in the end, rubber f1 just isn't any fun to drive imo, of course I'm in the small minority of that opinion here

Last edited by RedBullFiXX; 02-05-2012 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Sadly, my F-103's sit parked in the garage...
Old 02-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by robk
Actually, the rules in the US tend to be driven by the Tamiya series, since there was no other outlet for F1 besides the TCS until UF1 cropped up, and that's only in southern California. Tamiya was trying to promote the narrow cars.
UF1 did a great job by organizing their group of racers. It seems as though they decided they liked the narrow cars as well, despite having run the wide cars, too. Everyone who glommed onto their rules did so because they were very well done.
We were having trouble getting enough cars to run the f1 class so we used uf1 and usgt as guidelines to create our own rules to satisfy both the narrow and wide cars. So far the narrow cars seem to have the edge on our carpet track using rubber tires.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by robk
Actually, the rules in the US tend to be driven by the Tamiya series, since there was no other outlet for F1 besides the TCS until UF1 cropped up, and that's only in southern California. Tamiya was trying to promote the narrow cars.
The difference we have is that Tamiya hasn't run a TCS series in the UK for some years, so we don't have anyone limiting their classes to the only cars they make. To be honest Tamiya F104 cars are a bit of a rarity over here, I would say at least 80% of F1s actually racing are F109s due to availability and price.

Then when they find the foams on the F109 work great, telling our racers they would then need to use rubber tyres that are not available in the UK and cost twice the price of the foams we use is never going to work. As far as I know the only rubber tyres available in the UK are Tamiya F104 kit tyres, so the rubber class is effectively dead before it even starts here.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jake95
hi,
i just picked up a new f103 15th aniversary i wanted to know what wings and body should i get for it as ive seen quite a a few diffrent types of bodies and wings what would you recomend.
thanks,
jake
If you have a free hand in your choice of wings the TRG standard and TRG Advance wings are highly rated, various combinations of them is all I use.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

The difference we have is that Tamiya hasn't run a TCS series in the UK for some years, so we don't have anyone limiting their classes to the only cars they make.
That would have been the "Tamiya Eurocup" from the '90's.
I used to run an F102 with the Jordan 191 in SASOL colours body on it, and the compulsary "Sports Tuned" motor.
(Jordan was actually an F101 based shell, and used different mounting holes).
Then at club meetings it was run with a 27T Stock motor.

Bad days approached as the Corally appeared, walked over everything, and drivers walked away.
Death of a class for many moons until a few got together last year, made a few rules (based around F103/F109), and OUTLAWED the Corally.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Tech Adept

i see this brand touring car and it was very expensive so i think will this be as well,probably so. look like a 103 which will be half the price and just as good. aimed at the big budget spender maybe?
so i have learned that these cars depend alot on the tire more so than anything else (apart from the driver)
i wont say that it looks bad as i think it looks like a good car and i am by far an expert on anything
Old 02-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi, I love F1 rc. 2nd race of this year we got 10 racers, half are new to racing.

Here is the rule we run. Speed difference between veterans and newbies are tightened. More fun and encouraging for newcomers to join.

Qualifying times. Very close.

Hope more racers organize their own F1 club racing. I am a regular racer (not hobby shop / track owner). But since no races being run, I decided to be the organizer for F1 racing.

More: http://www.rccartips.com/f1-rc-cars-...alaysia-gp.htm

Long live F1!
Old 02-06-2012, 02:23 AM
Tech Initiate

[QUOTE=Team Lotus;10278204]stulee666, so show us a picture!

my finished 104x1

Old 02-06-2012, 02:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Darn. In the thumbnails, I thought you had blue foams!
Old 02-06-2012, 02:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

If you have a free hand in your choice of wings the TRG standard and TRG Advance wings are highly rated, various combinations of them is all I use.
Thanks terry I'll try them then.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Tech Adept

Hey Guys, you can now register for Formula One Racing at the 2012 ROAR Carpet Nationals. The web page to get registered is:

http://www.roarracing.com/.../Electric_On_Road_Carpet_Nationals
Old 02-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Here's some sweet videos of F1 racing at Mike's Hobby Shop, home of the 2012 ROAR Carpet Nationals coming in March 16-18.
F1 2nd Qual Race: http://youtu.be/YnZuRSVXGmc
F1 3rd Qual Race (rolled in with the same video as the VTA 3rd Qua): http://youtu.be/zEGu28q3T8s
F1 A-Main Race: http://youtu.be/3N3PFclnS4M

Old 02-07-2012, 05:50 AM
Tech Master

Hello F1 guys!

I've been following this thread for a long time because I really like F1 1:10 cars. Unfortunately I have never owned one because there was never such a class where I live. TC is very popular here so I have quite a few of these, including two old Xray T1's (almost a third one in parts). One is a shelf queen and the other one is a project car which suffers all my "revolutionary" ideas ( because I'm an engineer ). It's currently a RWD car. My (stupid?) question is can you convert a TC into a F1 and has anyone done that? Basically can you put a F1 shell on it? It doesnt have to be legal for any F1 class, it should just look like more or less like an F1 car. The obvius problems are shock towers and the rear transmission via a belt.

My other question is- is there any point in making a F201 RWD? I have a chance to buy this car for cheap, but I have no interest in a 4WD formula.

Thanks in advance,
Denis
Old 02-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

anybody build an f60 or mclaren body and not use their mirrors have any for sale? pm if you do please
Old 02-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Tech Adept

Sauber C31.
I don't know about the shape of the new F1 generation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.