Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego On-Road Racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Was fun running w/ everyone today- good times.

Billy- good run in the main. You finished only a few turns back so no more speed secrets for you!
Old 07-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Tech Adept

I had a blast yesterday. I had not ran on road for a couple of years. guess i didnt cycle the batteries good enough for my second run. But the main was fun and fast. I am going to have to order up a new motor. Pulled mine apart last night and noticed I popped a wire... Guess I was a little over geared? And some new batteries.

See everyone in a couple of weeks. .

Marty S.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MikeR
Was fun running w/ everyone today- good times.

Billy- good run in the main. You finished only a few turns back so no more speed secrets for you!
Thanx Mike, the main was pretty intense, for me anyway.

No more secrets!, Ah schucks, i guess i'll have to bug Gibby for all the secrets now
Old 07-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by karlo511
thanks DHW, frank & crew for the track
mike for the power
francis for the entertainment
fun times parking lot racing again
Anytime, lol.
And thanks again Mike for letting me run the car.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

next race august 12th anyone up for a drift session between the heats and the mains
Old 07-31-2007, 06:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rcbasher06
next race august 12th anyone up for a drift session between the heats and the mains
As long as people don't use PVC pipe for tires. It puts a horrible plastic dust all over the surface that doesn't come up well and kills traction for racing. There was a situation at SoCal a while back about this. Kinwald actually offered to buy the drifters the right tires. People were leaving the track because traction had gone down so much. I think you should make a rule that if you're going have a drift class, they have to use drift tires like the Yokomo ones or something.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
As long as people don't use PVC pipe for tires. It puts a horrible plastic dust all over the surface that doesn't come up well and kills traction for racing. There was a situation at SoCal a while back about this. Kinwald actually offered to buy the drifters the right tires. People were leaving the track because traction had gone down so much. I think you should make a rule that if you're going have a drift class, they have to use drift tires like the Yokomo ones or something.
I'm probably not seeing your guys' side to this as I'm not as hard core competitive about parking lot racing.

What I don't see is why some people worry about traction and not having "ideal" conditions. It affects everyone and not just a single racer. Everyone has to deal with it so where is the disadvantage? Does it really not make it fun to race R/C if the track is not as sticky as you'd like it to be? To me, not having the best track conditions determines the better driver and not who has the best car or faster motor.

I know some people are turned off to racing at Discount just because its run in a soda sprayed parking lot. Not me. This what makes racing fun... having different tracks and different conditions, that make you adjust your driving style, set up, etc.

I look at it sort of like full scale motorsports. Example would be MotoGP and racing motorcycles in the rain. In the dry, best conditions, it is usually the factory teams and drivers who almost always come out on top. Throw some rain in there and it makes everyones machine equal and those who can stay up on two wheels and race cleanly win. Even the non factory machines.

Maybe someone can shed the light on why traction is such a huge point when deciding if you like the track or not.

Oh and i'm in for the drift session... and I do have the yokomo tires, but i know not everyone does. They are pretty pricey and PVC is about 10 times cheaper. I'm still learning how to control drift... I have a long way to go! And if it really affects traction that much, we can just do it after the last main?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

traction didn't seem to be a problem at DHW this past weekend. the drift session at break didn't affect that traction either... as long as you held your line you were fine. get out of that line and you were screwed with or without the residue from the drifters.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:46 AM
Tech Initiate

I'm all for drifting after the last main as my girlfriend likes to practice then anyway. I have the yokomo drift tires also. I don't know if any of the guys drifting during the break last Sunday were using pvc. I think Billy might have but I know he has proper drift tires also.

I didn't get to run the main due to a melted drive belt caused by drifting (stupid RTR's ) so I have no idea if or how it affected traction.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:51 AM
Tech Adept

I had heard about the stink at so-cal with the pvc drift tires, IMO, i don't really have one.... i do have the yokomo tires also, so i will leave the pvc ones for just playing, and the yok's for the track...as long as the racers all agree to it that the yok's are not damaging to the surface.

The last thing that i want is to deter any racers because of the halftime drifting that we enjoy sooooooo much

San Diego has two tracks within a half hour of my house... and i just want to help bring back the race sceen to my hometown.

Kerr- so the yoks solved the prob at so cal or what? I was the only pvc drifter out of three so hopefully i didn't damage it too bad.

Vic- YOU GO VIC!
Old 07-31-2007, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

If the yokomo tires are ok, what do you guys think about drift racing?

We'll call it the yokomo ice racing class
Old 07-31-2007, 01:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Well, the stink at SoCal got so bad they just banned drifting all together. Mainly because it's not good to have drift cars and race cars on the track at the same time. I'm not trying to make a drift vs. race thread out of this. I'm not into drifting but if that's your arena, fine. More power to you. More people involved in the hobby is always better.

And I understand what you're talking about with track conditions being the same for everyone. But when you're a hard core racer (and I like to think I am since that's all I do) traction is everything. I've said it for years, it's more fun to race each other than race the track. It's just like when tracks like SoCal would put in ridiculously stupid layouts that are like a maze. No place to pass and 3 foot wide lanes. That's not fun. It's the guy who hits the pipes the least wins. It's the same with traction. If you're fighting all day to get good grip, you're not really racing each other. I love parking lot racing. It's what I learned on road on and I mis it a lot and can't wait to get back at it. But I've been to some parking lot tracks that were just stupid loose. Bad enough the race directer decided not to go back there because even factory pros couldn't get around the track. Soda spraying is great as long as it's done well and not pooled up. And not having the best grip is no big deal. But I was at SoCal when they let the PVC clad cars go on the track and the conditions went from good grip to spinning out and your race car now looked like a drift car, with just 5 drifters up there for 5 minutes. Some of the drift guys had been running there with Yokomo tires and the only issue that came up was them being in the way and not moving during practice when a race car with a 7 turn came ripping around the track. So yes, the traction issue is only with the PVC tires as far as I know.

I'm all for you guys having a drift class. But please, keep it at a separate time so that you don't have race cars and drift cars on the track at the same time, and use the right tires so you don't effect the other racers.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

ok how about this guys, we will have the first 15 minutes drift session, then i will blow off the track then the regular cars will get to practice.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy-Ho
If the yokomo tires are ok, what do you guys think about drift racing?

We'll call it the yokomo ice racing class

I'm down! actually racing not a judging thing... must run yokomo drift tires and open motor?

haha how many laps can you complete on drift tires in 5 minutes!?
Old 07-31-2007, 06:10 PM
Tech Initiate

I think I can manage 4 laps in 5 mins with some drift tires on my rig.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.