Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JS1975
muahdib4 and Core Creations,

I am likely purchasing one of the Tamiya Mini's and would like to race it. I live in the KC area.

From what I understand, the Hobbytown on Metcalf may have a class for these cars this year. Is that true that you know of? The guy at the store I talked to didn't seem to think so.

Does Fastlane have a specific class for them?

One last question. I am leaning towards the M-03L chassis. Does it have any advantages over the shorter wheelbase versions other than maybe aftermarket body choices?

These cars look like a lot of fun as I will be new to car racing and want to keep it on the reasonable side of the cost scale.

Thanks

WOO-HOO!!! Yep, fastlane has a class for them and Hobbytown will too. At the moment it's just Core and I racing them and another guy Freqetag was racing with us but has kinda taken a break from R/C for a moment. We'd love to have more people racing with us and we do have fun. At the moment I prefer the SWB version but I think it's all more about preference and driving style then anything else. I'm also finishing an M03M to test myself and I have a completed M03R that I might race on the rug once the asphalt season is over. Basically right now, we race silvercan but are probably going to give the sport-tuned black motors a try on asphalt but if you don't have one of those yet then we'll both be more then happy to run silvercans. We also allow the Orion/Peak 3200 LiPo's and haven't really noticed a real difference between them and a quality NiMh stick pack like the Venom 3000mahs which Core uses sometimes since that's what they had to race in Omaha. Other then that, it's basic TCS style rules (Tamiya Hop-ups only) but we will probably be allowing other bodies like the ones from Chevron models or ABC Hobbies. Core has really done the work setting up how we're running the class. He's been racing Mini's for a long time and is a great person to have around to help with setups and such. Wow, that was long-winded.

Welcome to the KC Mini Family.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Yes, there for sure WILL be a mini class at Overland Park. Neal will be back out racing so there will be at least 3 of us.. Most of the employees at HT aren't directly involved with the program, so they may not be it the know... I am personally gonna bring in a couple kits for sale so, there will be some available.

Anything at all that I can do to help you out just let me know! And I would personally steer you towards the Swift Suzuki kit. Best bang for your $$ It's a 225mm wheelbase which has many aftermarket options and it comes with bearings and the revised suspension.
muahdib4 and Core Creations,

I am likely purchasing one of the Tamiya Mini's and would like to race it. I live in the KC area.

From what I understand, the Hobbytown on Metcalf may have a class for these cars this year. Is that true that you know of? The guy at the store I talked to didn't seem to think so.

Does Fastlane have a specific class for them?

One last question. I am leaning towards the M-03L chassis. Does it have any advantages over the shorter wheelbase versions other than maybe aftermarket body choices?

These cars look like a lot of fun as I will be new to car racing and want to keep it on the reasonable side of the cost scale.

Thanks

Last edited by Core Creations; 04-09-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Wow guys. Thanks for the quick response. I am fairly certain I want to race this class. I am looking at ordering something in the next 2-3 weeks. I have a tower gift certificate, so I will probably get it there. I'll also research the the three different versions a little before deciding on one. I'll be sure to let either of you know if I have any questions about it.

I know the racing at Hobbytown hasn't started yet, but does the Fastlane racing start around the same time (early May)?

Thought of another question. I have 2 - 7.2V 1500 MaH NiCD packs and 1 - 3300 MaH NiMH pack. None of them are high end or even middle of the road for that matter. They are all three fairly new though.

Would they be sufficient to get started?
Old 04-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Tech Champion

I personally like the short wheel base, but it's purely choice.

Fastlane is already racing inside and we should be there this Sunday racing if you want to come out and watch...I doubt they will run them outside, the track is too big.

And yes, your packs will be just fine.
Wow guys. Thanks for the quick response. I am fairly certain I want to race this class. I am looking at ordering something in the next 2-3 weeks. I have a tower gift certificate, so I will probably get it there. I'll also research the the three different versions a little before deciding on one. I'll be sure to let either of you know if I have any questions about it.

I know the racing at Hobbytown hasn't started yet, but does the Fastlane racing start around the same time (early May)?

Thought of another question. I have 2 - 7.2V 1500 MaH NiCD packs and 1 - 3300 MaH NiMH pack. None of them are high end or even middle of the road for that matter. They are all three fairly new though.

Would they be sufficient to get started?
Old 04-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'll also research the the three different versions a little before deciding on one.
Your research should probably start here

In the end it all comes down to which body you like....
Old 04-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Core Creations
I personally like the short wheel base, but it's purely choice.

Fastlane is already racing inside and we should be there this Sunday racing if you want to come out and watch...I doubt they will run them outside, the track is too big.

And yes, your packs will be just fine.
I may do that. Any particular time?

Last edited by JS1975; 04-09-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Tech Champion

I usually get there around 10:30a and leave around 5:30p. We start racing at 1p
I amy do that. Any particular time?
Old 04-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

I may do that. Any particular time?
I usually try to get there at 10am so that I can get a few practice laps in so that Core only beats me by 5-6 laps in the main...
Old 04-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

M03R - track test.

I drove mine for the first time yesterday. At first I drove it in its "out of the box" setup, only changes were - uni's and I ran 60D type A's up front and pit shimizu 27 slicks on the rear. The car was great, very stable, just a bit of understeer. I felt sure it was going to traction roll with the standard ride height setup, but it didn't. The downside to it being so stable is that it felt slow through the twisty part of the track, especially compared to my other mini.
The out of the box setup gives you toe in on the front wheels, so I dialled in more toe out, but it still didn't seem to steer as fast as what I've been used to. So I dialled in more and more. It helped, but it was still too stable.
So I switched to smaller tires - pit shimizu inner mesh, medium compound up front and soft compound on the rear - oh yeah!

Loads more turning, car is much twitchier now but a lot faster through the twisty parts of the track. Car now feels more like I'm used to … and on those tires - really dialled!
I'm going to switch to a ball diff for the race this Sunday to see how it feels. I really want to change the shocks as I don't like how sloppy the mounting feels, but the car is working well so perhaps I'll just leave it for now.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by tony gray
Your research should probably start here

In the end it all comes down to which body you like....
Tony,

Thanks for the link. Very imformative site. I am leaning toward the M-03M chassis at this point.

Core and muahdib4,

I'll try to get out to the track this Sunday, but may have Soccer games all day on both Saturday and Sunday. We'll see how the weather goes.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Default mini setup

anybody got a setup for the swift on asfoult first time on this for tcs at tn
Old 04-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Pretty much every setup works at Memphis- great track surface, loads of traction, open track setup. 40wt and two hole pistons all around, pretty much any springs as long as the fronts are one level harder than the rears, same with the tires (have used both S-Grips and Type A's there), just go one step harder on the front insert than the back.

Oh yes...and drive it.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Is there a tamiya servo mount for the M03?
I have been searching for one thats tcs legal.
All I have found is aftermarket ones or the ta03/ta04/tg10 alu servo stay which is shorter than the stock one.
I saw the new M03R have the alu servo stay, but I dont think we can get it yet.

If I get the ta03 short servo stay, and add a spacer, would it still be tcs legal?
Old 04-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ah_DaN
Is there a tamiya servo mount for the M03?
I have been searching for one thats tcs legal.
All I have found is aftermarket ones or the ta03/ta04/tg10 alu servo stay which is shorter than the stock one.
I saw the new M03R have the alu servo stay, but I dont think we can get it yet.

If I get the ta03 short servo stay, and add a spacer, would it still be tcs legal?
That's what I run, and I'm 100% legal.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

^
Thanks

One more question.
If I use for example, Tech Racing Turnbuckle Tie Rod Set.
Would I still be tcs legal?
Since we can use any manufacturers screws. Would ball ends and turnbuckles count?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.