Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Kyosho 12th scale Plazma LM >

Kyosho 12th scale Plazma LM

Kyosho 12th scale Plazma LM

Old 02-05-2014, 07:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Perhaps I'm the only one… but part of the appeal is the brushed silver can (not actually silver in color) motor that comes with it.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C.Harper
Perhaps I'm the only one… but part of the appeal is the brushed silver can (not actually silver in color) motor that comes with it.
I know but here in Dallas, TX where I race, the ones that will get the car after me will push for brushless motors, etc, etc. The racers in my area have a lot of disposable income and will push for "top of the line" everything. So, just to head off the headache if I can get this class off the ground, I will go brushless/LiPo out the box.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JLock
I know but here in Dallas, TX where I race, the ones that will get the car after me will push for brushless motors, etc, etc. The racers in my area have a lot of disposable income and will push for "top of the line" everything. So, just to head off the headache if I can get this class off the ground, I will go brushless/LiPo out the box.
Oh I totally hear you… but 21.5 or 17.5 are going to challenge (or be faster than) the new LMP class which is budding. Maybe 25.5 is the way to go… if people push the speed then the slick scale bodies will quickly go away and we'll be racing a LPM interpretation of World GT.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:57 AM
Tech Regular

I have the Tamiya RM01 that also comes with scale wheels and very nicely detailed bodies. Only have one chassis but all three available bodies: Tom's Toyota, Newman Porsche and the Mazda that I added head lights and tail lights to. Even with the heavy realistic bodies, large sidewall tires and a 17.5 brushless they are a lot of fun to drive and still within 0.5 seconds/lap of the serious 12th scale racers.

I have even raced it with the stock 12th scale class on occasion. I would be happy to do so more often if there where other scale appearing LM cars. I know that Doug and Tom D. have expressed interest in these type of cars as well.

In the mean time there is no reason we cant just run them in stock 12th scale class with 17.5 BL motors and 1 cell batteries like I have done in the past. Technically there is nothing about them that is against the rules. And as good as they are on carpet they work even better on asphalt with the huge tires and flexy chassis!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by racer robert
I have the Tamiya RM01 that also comes with scale wheels and very nicely detailed bodies. Only have one chassis but all three available bodies: Tom's Toyota, Newman Porsche and the Mazda that I added head lights and tail lights to. Even with the heavy realistic bodies, large sidewall tires and a 17.5 brushless they are a lot of fun to drive and still within 0.5 seconds/lap of the serious 12th scale racers.

I have even raced it with the stock 12th scale class on occasion. I would be happy to do so more often if there where other scale appearing LM cars. I know that Doug and Tom D. have expressed interest in these type of cars as well.

In the mean time there is no reason we cant just run them in stock 12th scale class with 17.5 BL motors and 1 cell batteries like I have done in the past. Technically there is nothing about them that is against the rules. And as good as they are on carpet they work even better on asphalt with the huge tires and flexy chassis!

Cool deal Robert. I had Ray place an order for one for me yesterday. If it doesn't get here Friday, I will probably get it next week. I was thinking of doing my testing with 2-cell LiPo and probably 21.5 in the beginning. Since this chassis gives you that option, kind of wanted to distinguish it slightly from Lola-body 12th scale. This chassis gives the option of using spare ESCs and batteries that some may already have without having to get booster modules and 1-cell packs. Just an idea...................
Old 02-05-2014, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by C.Harper
Oh I totally hear you… but 21.5 or 17.5 are going to challenge (or be faster than) the new LMP class which is budding. Maybe 25.5 is the way to go… if people push the speed then the slick scale bodies will quickly go away and we'll be racing a LPM interpretation of World GT.
With what appears to be foam tires on the car, I think it should be able to handle a 21.5 or 17.5 with a 2-cell decently with proper throttle inputs. Just need to see how fast it would be with those motors with a 2-cell. I know it would be ballistic with a 13.5 on 2-cells.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

My kit came in yesterday at my LHS. Can't wait to dig into it and get it up and running. Now I have a place to put this extra brushless ESC that I recently picked up and realized I had not place to put it.
Attached Thumbnails Kyosho 12th scale Plazma LM-20140210_182629a.jpg  
Old 02-19-2014, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

Been out of town and on the road for business. Finally got back home and will probably start working on my Plazma Lm this coming weekend. I hope to have it ready for track testing next week. I will start with a 21.5 on 2-cell LiPo and go from there. Going to have to order an extra body for it (the kit comes with two) because the original Toyota will be the shelf queen body for sure.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Here in Japan all the racers are running 30.5 turn motors with 2 cell lipo. I've personally seen them in action and they're quite fast with that motor setup.

You wouldn't want to go too fast, this isn't a race class but a scaled race class.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
Here in Japan all the racers are running 30.5 turn motors with 2 cell lipo. I've personally seen them in action and they're quite fast with that motor setup.

You wouldn't want to go too fast, this isn't a race class but a scaled race class.
This is why I will experiment with several motors once I get mine put together. The lowest motor offered in the US market is 25.5T; so there is a 30.5T BL motor? I figured that 2-cell LiPo was the way to go with this class (not a big fan of 1-cell with the boost unit). I will be the test guinea pig in my area and see what will and won't be good and roll from there.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:21 AM
Tech Elite

Started putting my Plazma Lm together last night. Attached is a pic of what I have completed before heading to bed. Will try to finish it up by Wednesday or Thursday. As of last night, it is about 60% complete. Just need to build the shock, put in the rear axle/diff, add electronics, and put together the pre-painted body. Yes, there is an unpainted body in the box as well (gives you two). Need to get that one painted up so that the pre-painted one is preserved as the shelf queen when not being raced.
Attached Thumbnails Kyosho 12th scale Plazma LM-20140223_233744.jpg  

Last edited by JLock; 02-24-2014 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

Almost completed. Built the diff, installed the axle, built/installed the shock and side dampeners, and installed the motor (21.5) and steering servo last night. Just need to install the Rx and ESC and put together the pre-painted body and it will be ready to track test.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Almost have my kit completed. Working on the body right now. Sorry for the not-so-great pic. My apartment has poor lighting and with a camera phone, wasn't as good as I wanted.
Attached Thumbnails Kyosho 12th scale Plazma LM-20140226_070853a.jpg  
Old 03-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Got the car/body completed and did some track testing with it today at my LHS's carpet track. The car handled very well and it was a little quick with the stock gearing (93t spur, 25t pinion), a 2-cell LiPo, and 21.5BL motor. I could get a little more out of it playing with the gearing. It will definitely be quicker on 17.5BL. The question is which one to roll with if trying to kick off a class of them. Two cell is definitely the way to go (not a huge fan of the one cell). Thoughts/inputs would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

am definitely going to be picking up either the Porsche 962 or Mazda

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.