Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
How do you adjust engine timing on nitro engines? >

How do you adjust engine timing on nitro engines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

How do you adjust engine timing on nitro engines?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
IDK carbide does not cut chrome plating overly well.....most timing changes require not much more then just removing the chrome plating, IMO using a carbide would be next to impossible to get a clean cut when removing as little material as needs to be removed.........A fine diamond bit works well but I Most definitely would never ever recommend using a Dremel for cutting ports..........Dremels are also not a very good choice for cutting ports. because their motors are so amll Dremels need to use excessive RPM to make any power. too much RPM causes vibration and bit runout which makes cutting cleanly very tricky......... I use a Jewelers grade flexible shaft tool which works extremely well....however I still dont think using a carbide works well at all, even in a flexible shaft...
I agree that most timing changes require not much more then just removing the chrome plating but on the ones that do require going through the plating you can rough it out with carbide and finish with a diamond. Dremels do work fine. I have both dremel and jeweler grade flex shaft and there is very little difference in the cut. If you are going to go into business modding motors than by all mean get the flex shaft. If your going to mod a couple motors a Dremel will work just fine.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:56 AM
Tech Rookie

use mini diamond jewelers files to alter timing, its not rocket science by any means....
I agree, engine modding is harder.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:59 AM
Tech Rookie

use mini diamond jewelers files to alter timing, its not rocket science by any means....
I am very curious what your advise would be for Logik

he is looking for info on how to time the engine

I imagine he is looking for more power
Old 10-04-2008, 06:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cowboy
I agree that most timing changes require not much more then just removing the chrome plating but on the ones that do require going through the plating you can rough it out with carbide and finish with a diamond. Dremels do work fine. I have both dremel and jeweler grade flex shaft and there is very little difference in the cut. If you are going to go into business modding motors than by all mean get the flex shaft. If your going to mod a couple motors a Dremel will work just fine.

I do not agree that there is no difference int he cut between a Jewelers drill and a dremel....I can cut much cleaner and much more accurately with the jewelers drill, having precision foot control and the ability to cut at low RPM make the Jewlers drill far superior.......Today a good quality jewlers drill can be bought for not much more then a top of the line Dremel so cost is not really an issue... I truly feel if somone wants to start altering port timing effectively they need to start using diamond files..I truly cannot see many rookies having the tool control to alter boost port timing using a carbide in a dremel, to me that is a recipe for disaster... I have cut ports on several hundred motors to date and would never consider using a carbide, even with all my experience cutting ports I still do all my finishing with hand files......I will do my rough cutting with a dianond bit, then smooth out my cuts with a hand file......... maybe the only motor I could see the need for a carbide would be the center exhaust port of a C6, I add 15 degrees to that port which requires a fair amount of cutting...... But truly I cannot see being able to raise a boost port accurately using a carbide, i could see it making a huge mess of the sleeve to be honest......... Anyways I am not looking for a fight or anything, I just dont see how a carbide bit could be used for accurately altering sleeve port timing....
Old 10-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Today a good quality jewlers drill can be bought for not much more then a top of the line Dremel so cost is not really an issue
Well I bought my flex shaft grinder 10 years ago and it cost $400. I guess they really cheapened them up.

I just dont see how a carbide bit could be used for accurately altering sleeve port timing....
You don't accurately alter sleeve timing with a carbide. You ROUGH it out then you accurately finish it with a diamond. You wouldn't use carbide on a boost port or tranfer because there's not enough material removed to warrant a rough cut. I assumed people would have enough common sense on what a rough cut is. After thinking about it your right about the carbide in the hands of a rookie. It is very aggressive and they could screw things up in a hurry. Leave the carbide for the professionals
Old 10-18-2008, 04:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by EdwardN
That is disaster!!!
DO NOT TOUCH IT!!!!!! Then everything will be really good
LOL

the modding went great

The advise in this thread is priceless.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

For all you guys looking for a degree wheel. For the last few month I have been using this angle tool pictured below. The cool thing is that the needle is attached like a compass needle with a weight on the bottom, so it always point vertically up.
I cut the flat parts of, so I only have the round gauge

On the back I glued a 5mm ring (see pic) in the center with which I mount it on the crank.
This piece is much easier to use and IMHO also more precise than a degree wheel.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stefan
For all you guys looking for a degree wheel. For the last few month I have been using this angle tool pictured below. The cool thing is that the needle is attached like a compass needle with a weight on the bottom, so it always point vertically up.
I cut the flat parts of, so I only have the round gauge

On the back I glued a 5mm ring (see pic) in the center with which I mount it on the crank.
This piece is much easier to use and IMHO also more precise than a degree wheel.

Excellent post! I have one of those pinion angle tools and the idea of using it never crossed my mind. Thanks for turning me on to an exellent idea.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Nice idea. I'm heading out to get one now.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

that's great!i think that it will be very precise than any hand made degree wheel!
where can i find one?
i am from Europe..
Old 11-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Guy's
i have been racing rc boats for 15 years and have just got into the on road
car scene,
in rc boats i hold Australian speed records, 2 lap oval record and hold Australia's fastest race time to date.
i have played with modifying engine's for many years now,
and that is 1 of my biggest part's of my business, engine mods,
there is always some gain to be made in any engine,
engine timings, compresion ratio's, flow, etc...

fuel= horsepower, there is alot more power to be made in the car engine's,
BUT fuel consumption is also a big thing..

will be doing some mods to my novarossi 21's very soon
will let you no how they go....

regards Aaron
Old 11-04-2008, 12:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GREGORY!
that's great!i think that it will be very precise than any hand made degree wheel!
where can i find one?
i am from Europe..
I am from Europe as well and I bought mine in a hardware store for 5 Euros

On the picture is a web address of a shop that sells themonline if you can't find one:
http://www.besser-messen.de/index.as...r/Winkelmesser
Old 11-04-2008, 01:03 AM
Tech Master

stefan because i don't know what exactly it is.
i must disassemply it and make a hole in the center for the crank?
Old 11-04-2008, 01:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GREGORY!
stefan because i don't know what exactly it is.
i must disassemply it and make a hole in the center for the crank?
No, you don't have to disassemble it. Just glue one of these linkage stoppers (ring with set screw) on the back of the gauge.

You will have to find the center of the gauge, but usually the have a small hole there.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Tech Master

you will have pm in 2 minutes..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.