Thinking 1/8 scale but have my concerns

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking 1/8 scale but have my concerns

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 10:51 AM

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Obviously, it's your money, but after racing the Hyper8 a lot more since my last posts, I still say it's the best bang for the buck. But go with what trips your trigger the most....Good luck!
Old 07-09-2006, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have considered OFNA but I am not sure.I always wonder why they have sooo many models to choose from.From what I have gathered you need to do alot of upgrades on OFNA to make them trully bulletproof but that is just what I heard.I reallly just don`t know what to do.The shops in my area don`t have tons of extra parts so I will have to buy online which is cool with me.The online shops like AMAIN or others have everything I would need for any buggy that they carry.All these things really don`t help with my decision.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:29 PM

I haven't done anything to my Hyper8 as far as upgrading it for durability purposes. I don't think they even make any hop-ups for the H8 yet. That's actually a good sign!!
I have ran about 1 1/4 gallons through mine, and I bought it used, and the only thing I have had any problem with that is part of the buggy is the center diff gear breaking the retaining ring. So far, I would have to give the buggy a bulletproof rating of 9.5 out of a 10. However, I only race, I don't bash. ANYTHING can be broke if you try hard enough...lol.
I hadn't heard anyone complain about the durability of the H8, the only complaint I have heard, is that the plastic parts (arms, knuckes, etc...) wear out faster than some brands. But, I would rather have a more pliable/flexible plastic that I have to replace every couple of gallons, than having a more brittle, less-wearing plastic that will break in the middle of a race long before it's worn out anyway. In my opinion, you end up replacing the stuff at the same rate, but you don't have as many DNF's due to broken parts in the middle of a race.
I have to buy all my parts online as well. I don't have anything even HALFWAY close to me that carry ANY buggy parts...lol.
Again, good luck on your decision, but if you want an excellent buggy, and want to keep some of that money you just saved in your pocket, or have it to spend on a better engine or servos or something, the H8 is in my opinion the way to go. A quality, race worthy buggy, for 2/3 the price of the others....The diffs don't leak, the shocks don't leak, the shafts don't bend, it can flat out win races against ANY other buggy if you can drive it...

GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-09-2006, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

I wanted to thank you very much for your input WYLDTHING.I don`t know what to do.I just want to make the best buying decision that I can.When I bought my RC10GT it was the smartest decision that I can think of and I still have it after almost 10 years.So I would like to make the same descision and have no regrets after 10 years.Thanks again for your input
Old 07-09-2006, 01:11 PM

No problem....Like I said earlier....It's your money, so go with the one that makes YOU happy!! After all, it's all supposed to be about having fun...

Happy buying to you...
Old 07-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by motomanpat
Well everybody I have the cash now but still can`t make a decision.I have decided on either a Mugen or Kyosho but then again do I want to spend 650 plus on a car that has leaky diffs or leaky shocks.Man this is such a tough decision! I have read all the forums for both vehicles but what can I say I still can`t decide Mugen or Kyosho?
The Hyper 8 is a very good buggy for the money plus www.nitrohouse.com ALWAYS has OFNA parts...they are like 50 feet from each other if I'm not mistaken. The Jammin X1 CR buggy is good too I guess. I'm more partial to OFNA really.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Tech Addict

motomanpat: i've got the mayhem and the jammin and can say without a doubt that the jammin is a better car. that said, the mayhem will still be quite competitive at the club level but as long as your driving skills progress (which they will once you start racing again) you will push that particular buggy to it's limits. once you get there, then you might think of looking at another buggy. the mayhem is very very durable and parts support through horizon is very good. the turmoil is the new buggy with all the racing spec stuff on it...basically all the parts guys were hopping their buggy's up with anyways. i did notice a difference in how the jammin responds to setup changes; it's a little more predictabl than the mayhem which makes track-side changes a little less guess work and a little more the science it's supposed to be. both buggy's have awesome shocks with the jammin being a little more maintanence-free than the mayhem but not by too much. the jammin is lighter and it does go through the bumps better than the mayhem which is something that assists my driving style. i haven't driven the kyosho, mugen or hyper 8 so i can't comment on those. as for other online shops, ace hobbies is another good place to get stuff. good luck!
Old 07-09-2006, 05:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I've owned the kyosho k2, k3, mugen mbx5 prospec, jammin x1cr fte. but if you can get a hyper 8 for 329.00 thats were I'd go.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

The actual price of a Hyper 8 is about 419 plus shipping.Does anybody know the difference between a Hyper 8 and a JamminX1?Maybe WYLDTHING KNOWS
Old 07-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Also I would prefer to build this vehicle on my own is there a place that does not have them 80% built?
Old 07-09-2006, 06:26 PM

They are completely different buggies. They don't swap parts at all that I am aware of, except the big bore shocks that people put on their H8's.

You can get the H8 a lot cheaper than that off of ebay. I have seen them new in box for 389.00 plus 15 bucks to ship, if I remember right.

They come pretty much built (the H8), but you'll want to take the diffs out and put fluid in them, so that will give you a chance to disassemble it.
I'm not aware of any other way to buy the H8....
Old 07-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Tech Regular

i switched from the jammin x-1cr not factory team addition to the hyper 8 and i can tell you the main differences the jammin buggy was set up from the get go and i never adjusted anything no matter what track i went to it was stable and handled good but it left me wanting more. (because its so stable you will be able to put down fast lap times consistantly) the plastic wear is about the same as the hyper 8 except the hyper plastic seems way stiffer. the jammin universals did not last as long as my hypers have.

you will never hear a hyper 8 owner complain about there car almost everyone that has one loves them they handle great and mine is a lot more fun to drive than the jammin buggy. the nicest thing about the hyper 8 is everything to adjust geometery is included in the box. all geometry adjustments are done using inserts and can be swapped out fast. for example i can change anti squat and toe in by removing 2 screws and swapping inserts. with the jammin you have to buy a $10+ part just to change anti squat and a more expensive part for toe in. i have found that i have broken less parts on my hyper 8 than my jammin. not that i broke a lot on my jammin and the times i did break i did expect it. but i have driven away from some serious crashes with my hyper 8 with out a scratch. i purchased the hinge pin kit for my jammin to do away with e- clips (now included in factory team) but i bent a rear hub carrier hing pin and it would have cost $30 to buy a new set because they don't sell them individually. things like that have made me really appreciate the hyper 8 and the fact that it has made the a-main at many large races proves that it is as good as anycar out the and for almost half the cost.

unfortunatley you can't buy the hyper as a kit but you will have to pretty much take everything apart to check which inserts they built with. and you will need to put oil in the rear diff. but you will get a chance to fully inspect the car and have it finished in a hour or two less than to build from scratch not to mention the sore hands.

this is all just my opinion and i think the jammin is a good car but i can tell you i let a jammin driver drive my buggy before i completed my setup and he said it handled just like his jammin. so for $100+ less you can make your hyper 8 handle like a jammin but why do that when you can make it handle better.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

I think I`m going to cry!!!!I have the cash for any car at this time and am ready to order now I just need to make the critical decision which brand,what modelST^%$#$*&.I do like the idea of spending less cash for the same amount of fun but I am just worried about making the wrong expensive choice.How are these buggies to work on in comparison to others.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

working on the hyper 8 is not different than the jammin besides what i mentioned about inserts. although the hyper 8 has one nice feature which is self tapping screws which = less turns to remove or tighten which = less time spent spinning wrenches. you should look into a electric screwdriver though it will cut your rebuild time way down.

ok don't obsese over blowing your cash on a car you won't like just pick the car you like the most. you may want a change next season anyways and there are plenty of bashers out there willing to buy a car off ebay. so lets say you bought the hyper 8 for $400 out the door, 6 months from now if your not happy with the car i'am sure you could get around $300 for it off ebay. so you lost $100 to try the hyper 8, but wait you did save $200 by not buying a x-ray or a losi and wait you did save $350 buy not buying a mugen or kyosho.

of course the way it works is since you saved on the car you bought better gear. so if you did switch cars you would be better equipped with another brand because your initial investment was less with good gear then with another brand and lesser gear.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by motomanpat
I think I`m going to cry!!!!I have the cash for any car at this time and am ready to order now I just need to make the critical decision which brand,what modelST^%$#$*&.I do like the idea of spending less cash for the same amount of fun but I am just worried about making the wrong expensive choice.How are these buggies to work on in comparison to others.

LOL!!! I know your pain!!!

Back in 1997, I had saved just over half the cost of a new 250 motocross bike to race, and I was borrowing the other portion, for a total of about 5300.00. Anyway, I went the place I was going to buy it on a thursday, not knowing which one I was going to buy (they sold the four major brands). I got there when they opened (well, actually about a half an hour before...excited you know..) at 10AM, and was still there when they closed at 8PM cuz I COULDN'T make up my mind!!! Luckily, I knew the owner real well, and he gave me a time extension...lol. He stayed and done the paperwork after I finally decided...lol.

The moral of the story???...heck I don't know....just that I KNOW what you are feeling...lol. The best part is, no matter which one you buy, you get to buy a new buggy!!! So just enjoy the experience...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.