Wiki Posts
Search

Hello and good morning from Scotland / buyers guide would be smashing

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 02:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Hello and good morning from Scotland / buyers guide would be smashing

Hi guys,

found this forum and been reading on here for a while before I finallyregistered yesterday.

I'm Chris and want to start this beautiful hobby called nitro offroad racing. Been racing a brushless for 8 years now and since there's no onroad racetracks I decided to get down and dirty lol

Decided to go for a quality model and it should be the MBX6. Always wanted a Mugen but not quite sure about the other components. The buggy would only be used on race tracks (main track would be astro turf).

Sothe buyers guide isn't about other buggies, it's about other components like servos and engines. I would like toparticipate in races but won't do it professional. So no huge spare parts etc.

Could you guys help me here as coming from onroad isn't a great help here.

Many thanks and cheerio!
Old 05-26-2009, 07:29 AM
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by crisdean
Hi guys,

found this forum and been reading on here for a while before I finallyregistered yesterday.

I'm Chris and want to start this beautiful hobby called nitro offroad racing. Been racing a brushless for 8 years now and since there's no onroad racetracks I decided to get down and dirty lol

Decided to go for a quality model and it should be the MBX6. Always wanted a Mugen but not quite sure about the other components. The buggy would only be used on race tracks (main track would be astro turf).

Sothe buyers guide isn't about other buggies, it's about other components like servos and engines. I would like toparticipate in races but won't do it professional. So no huge spare parts etc.

Many thanks and cheerio!
Airtronics 94358(servo).......any tire with a tread will do since you will be racing on turf. Get the lightest tire/rim setup possible. Im not sure how tires do on astroturf so if you find your tires are wearing fast, get some aka cityblocks........Engine- Novarossi or RB
Old 05-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Addict

Hi guys,

Many thanks and cheerio!
Welcome. I was in your same shoes about 4 or 5 months ago. Here's my feedback. These are just little details that made a world of difference in the enjoyment of nitro.

Coming from electric racing also, I think I made the right decision on choosing a Novarossi 21-4. It's very smooth and feels almost like electric.

I like the Futaba 3pks because of the throttle and brake acceleration feature. I use it to take out all the deadband between the throttle and brake. You will notice there is a lot of throttle deadband on gas when compared to electric.

Servos... I use hitec, but any of the major manufacturers will work. Its just preference. I like the analog coreless servos on the throttle side because they turn more freely with no power. In case of power loss, it lets the throttle return spring do its job instead of getting stuck at WOT.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default mbx6 t

Hi guys,

Many thanks and cheerio!
where do u race in scotland? anyway welcome to the hobby which will be expensive!
the set up i use for my mbx6 is 10 7 3 diff oil. go thicker roll bars and the most important for me is the tyrs. mini shumacher pins. they like velcro.

just shave off the other pins to avoid grip roll.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Many thanks for your tips.

I will be racing in Lanarkshire Guys can you recommend some nice engines? Doesn't have to be top notch but probably a bit better than a standard engine. Don't want to use a slow engine in an MBX6. Now the Ninja JX seems a bit too expensive for me.

What about Picco engines?
Old 05-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Addict

http://www.raceaka.com/tire_chart.php

Notice that the Hard Crossbraces and Hard Gridirons are great for astroturf tracks.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Many thanks for your tips.

I will be racing in Lanarkshire Guys can you recommend some nice engines? Doesn't have to be top notch but probably a bit better than a standard engine. Don't want to use a slow engine in an MBX6. Now the Ninja JX seems a bit too expensive for me.

What about Picco engines?
mate, the JX ninja, great engine
or a OS V-Spec another good one
Old 05-28-2009, 04:11 PM
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CJ Weaver
http://www.raceaka.com/tire_chart.php

Notice that the Hard Crossbraces and Hard Gridirons are great for astroturf tracks.
NOW THAT WAS A GOOD FIND!!! NICE
Old 05-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Wow the ninja engine seems to be quite popular! Looks like it has got a lot of torque all the way up.

In combination with the right radio a superb car I think. Servos should be ok as long as they are from hitec. Reasonably cheapand robust. Would I need digital ones?

Me thinks that that would be a waste of money, wouldn't it?! MBX6 should be here in about 2 weeks. They're waiting for the cars to come.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Hey glad to hear we picked up another racer! The more the better!

- Hitec servos are really good, but I would get the titanium geared models, so you don't have to worry about replacing broken servos for a long time. Also in offroad you will be doing more "reacting" to your vehical, so the speed of servos is also very important.

- Motors. I would get one of these RB Concept Hobby 9 Sport Off-Road Buggy Engines (Standard Plug). They are cheaper ($220-$250 usd) and will last a long time. Another good choice is the Novarossi Plus 4. When you get the hang of tuning, then step up to a more expensive race motor such as the JX 21 or OS Speed.

- Tires. AKA or Proline dominate the US market right now, but the Europeans run Astroturf tracks, so tire choice could be larger for that surface. My picks are AKA Grid Irons, or City Blocks.

- You ran electric, so you would probably know batteries better than I, but I would have both 5 cell receiver packs and Lipo's on hand. If your Lipo's act up, just pop in the good old 5 cell to get you through the day.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey thanks for the answers so far. Well the MBX6 won't be here in a while and I froze my order as my engine in my real car screwed up spectacularly and I needed to order a 'new' one for my car.

As this will set me back a bit I spent some more time on having a look at what's raced at the local track and many of them run Team Associated RC8s and some Losis as well. As I know from my own experience (parts broke quite often) that it might be handy to race a car some guys are racing in terms of spare parts onsite I was wondering if I should opt for a different buggy?

This buggy decision is a very hard one at the moment.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Hey thanks for the answers so far. Well the MBX6 won't be here in a while and I froze my order as my engine in my real car screwed up spectacularly and I needed to order a 'new' one for my car.

As this will set me back a bit I spent some more time on having a look at what's raced at the local track and many of them run Team Associated RC8s and some Losis as well. As I know from my own experience (parts broke quite often) that it might be handy to race a car some guys are racing in terms of spare parts onsite I was wondering if I should opt for a different buggy?

This buggy decision is a very hard one at the moment.
whats your local hobby stock? thats what you need to look at, from the sound of things they stock losi and ae since other racers are using them. you cant go bad with either one, but losi will get you to the finish line
Old 06-03-2009, 02:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by losi_racer
whats your local hobby stock? thats what you need to look at, from the sound of things they stock losi and ae since other racers are using them. you cant go bad with either one, but losi will get you to the finish line
Aye he orderes quite a lot from the CML distirbution who have Asso and Losi. the problem with Losi is that firstly the car looks to sexy.

Secondly the car is in the RTR version all I ever needed (plus the the nice DX3( but I want to build the car myself. Some say the diffs or whatever it was wears out too quickly and I don't want to buy spares all the time for over excessive wear and tear.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Aye he orderes quite a lot from the CML distirbution who have Asso and Losi. the problem with Losi is that firstly the car looks to sexy.

Secondly the car is in the RTR version all I ever needed (plus the the nice DX3( but I want to build the car myself. Some say the diffs or whatever it was wears out too quickly and I don't want to buy spares all the time for over excessive wear and tear.
i have both. people who say this car wears to quickly never owned a losi or they didnt know much about it. Losi wears, but the car likes slop and it drives and handles better. the 2.0 has better cvd and the wear is a lot better. I have both the buggy and truggy 2.0's. both are great choices they rushed production on the 2.0 truggy so you need to tweek a couple things BUT horizion will send you all the parts that need tweeking so no need to buy more parts. and the buggy 2.0 is pretty solid.i would put the 1.0 truggy servo saver spring on it if you dont wanan be replacing radio trays but thats like 5 bucks, and hell horizion MAY send you one of those 2 if you tell them the situation. they have great customer service