Wiki Posts
Search

battery charging via an inverter

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 05:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Default battery charging via an inverter

Hey All --

I have been hearing about hooking up an inverter to my car battery to charge my 3300's while at a parking lot race. This may not be a new device - but it is to me. Can anyone give me some input and maybe a website?

I need to charge 2 packs at that same time (one for me and one for my daughter) and was told that an inverter may be the way to go???

thanks
Old 06-24-2004, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What charger do you have? Is it AC only? The a 120v from 12vDC inverter should work. They are meant to power 120v equipment and should work on your charger.

If your charger is AC/DC then hook to the battery of the car
Old 06-25-2004, 04:53 AM
Tech Rookie

I have 2 chargers. One as a back-up (MRC Purple Brain) - which I have never had a lot of luck with and the other is the Reedy Quasar Pro 611. I have already sent the Quasar in for the update and rec'd it back with the 2.1 update.

As I am sure you know the Quasar is an AC/DC charger.

I have been looking into marine deep cycle batteries - but they are expensive and heavy. I need to be able to charge 2 packs at the same time if both my daughter and I are running our electric buggies. I had been told that an inverter attached to my car battery would allow for me to run 2 chargers at the same time. My plan being to start the MRC charger about 10-15 minutes after the Quasar and when the Quasar is completed - swith the other pack (the one on the MRC) over to the Quasar to complete the charge process.

I have been running nitro for a couple of years now - but am new to electrics and obviously have many questions.

Thoughts - input?

OH - and by the way - my name is Joel too!! Not often that I meet someone with the same name!

thanks
Old 06-25-2004, 06:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ive used the inverter before, it is alot more efficient to just hook off your car batter using DC, the inverter takes likes to eat up a lot of current or at least mine did. What is wrong with hooking two chargers to the battery?
Old 06-25-2004, 10:44 AM
Tech Rookie

no problem to run off of a car or marine battery - was curious if there may be a better way to do so. So I thought I would ask the question here and see if I can find a site or data to read.

Sounds like hooking direct to a battery may be the way to go in areas w/o electricity.